Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
babsg00
Registered Users

My Mood:
fitteds comparison of GMD workhorse, Under the Nile, SBish & Loveybums

I'm planning my purchase for my 5th born...due in the spring (so, I have plenty of time)...also, still diapering a 20 month old...the only fitted that I used for him is the Sbish fitted (for night time). I used prefolds and pul covers with my other newborns but, since this LO was not planned ...I've since then repurposed my prefolds. Actually, I have 11 pocket diapers left so, I am going to need to increase that part of my stash too...

So, I'm wondering how these fitteds compare in dry time, trimness and absorbancy.

Also, what covers do you like over your fitteds...I was using pul cover over prefolds but, this time around I was considering wool (would this be a lot more work for me?)...

Advertisement

babsg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Clavdia_Chauchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I only used UTN and GMD. The UTN is fabulously absorbent and fits for a long time. The cotton is thick an luxurious. But it's not trim. It takes quite awhile to dry on low--which is what the tag advises.

The GMD is really a sewn up prefold. The infant size doesn't have any extra layers. They are great for convenience but not significantly more absorbent than a prefold, I think. I liked them a lot though, when I used them. (Usually used PFs.) Preferred the snapless. I think they are less than five dollars in the nb size, so it's hard to compare with a fitted costing three times more.

I used Thirsties and wool. Wool has a lot of positives, but--for me--it is more time consuming. Not prohibitively so. But something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by Clavdia_Chauchat; 10-09-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Clavdia_Chauchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

Re: fitteds comparison of GMD workhorse, Under the Nile, SBish & Loveybums

I can only tell you about GMD workhorse and UTNs in size small. The rise in the UTNs is 15". In the GMD workhorse the rise is 12". The crotch in the UTNs is 7"; the GMD 6". The waist in the UTNs is 12 -20"; the waist in the GMD is 11-16". I love love love both. Use the GMD during the day and the UTNs at night. Hope this helps!
Tillie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

Sorry just noticed the covers question. I use wool Soakers over the UTN and bummis whisper pants over the GMD. I am a pull-on gal. The GMDs take less time in the dryer but are not suited for overnight . . .
Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
babsg00
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavdia_Chauchat View Post
I only used UTN and GMD. The UTN is fabulously absorbent and fits for a long time. The cotton is thick an luxurious. But it's not trim. It takes quite awhile to dry on low--which is what the tag advises.

The GMD is really a sewn up prefold. The infant size doesn't have any extra layers. They are great for convenience but not significantly more absorbent than a prefold, I think. I liked them a lot though, when I used them. (Usually used PFs.) Preferred the snapless. I think they are less than five dollars in the nb size, so it's hard to compare with a fitted costing three times more.

I used Thirsties and wool. Wool has a lot of positives, but--for me--it is more time consuming. Not prohibitively so. But something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
thanks so much for the descriptions. What did you do about the cord when your baby/s were first born with these diapers?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
babsg00
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie'smom View Post
Sorry just noticed the covers question. I use wool Soakers over the UTN and bummis whisper pants over the GMD. I am a pull-on gal. The GMDs take less time in the dryer but are not suited for overnight . . .
kind of what I was considering doing too but, I want to make sure that I have the appropriate amt. of each kind of diapers....because now I don't have enough of my Sbish fitteds (I thought that 2 would be enough) but, they take so darn long to dry. Do you put anything (like pajama bottoms) over the soakers?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

I do have her in onesies and pjs. All but her tightest work. Especially over a lanacare day wool soaker. It is trim b/c it only has a double layer in the "soaker" part of the short. They are expensive though. $48 or so. I have heard that royal buns has a trim soaker and I have heard that the sustainablebabyish under wools are trim as well. If you look under my profile for my other posts you will find one that has a great link to a diaper pin forum that shows pics of all the Soakers in action. Might help you decide which one would fit best under your babe's jammies.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

The post with all the great soaker pics is titled "kissaluv Soakers engel nappy pants and sloomb underwoolies" the pics are too cute and very informative
Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
babsg00
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie'smom View Post
The post with all the great soaker pics is titled "kissaluv Soakers engel nappy pants and sloomb underwoolies" the pics are too cute and very informative
thanks so much..it is a very helpful post.