Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a bit afraid

With my son we tried breastfeeding but had a lot of issues. He was really sleepy and jaundicy, didn't feed for more than a few minutes, I had cracked and bleeding nipples. Every time he latched it hurt like hell for a few seconds but got better after that. I was living with my parents and my brother was really uncomfortable with it and I felt like they were watching me all the time (Thankfully this time my hubby is not deployed or on a jrtc month long training so we are in our own home, I was living with them for support because he had been at basic training for the previous 4 or 5 months.) I started resenting how much he was feeding even though he barely fed time wise, just more like fell asleep on the boob, and it would get me depressed.

I know this time things will be different. I have my own home, I won't have a brother that is really uncomfortable with me nursing in the room. My mom will be helping for a couple weeks, but I think she will be really supportive, she was last time. But I still have this fear that it won't work out and that despite being really determined to breastfeed that in the end I'll switch to formula. I felt like I had no support last time and had no idea what was normal. I was also worried because he didn't have enough wet or poopy diapers so I gave into formula.

Did anyone have a hard time the first time, then an easy time the next? I really want to breastfeed. Not because of what doctors say, my son is so healthy and advanced for his age and I don't think formula is poison, I was glad it was there and I actually bonded with my son and he finally started waking a little and all. But because it would be so much easier to breastfeed. I don't want to search for formula that will agree with their tummy, prepare bottles, and so on. I also just want a good experience. I'm still a little envious of people who have good breastfeeding relationships.

Advertisement

Last edited by blueone; 10-09-2011 at 11:34 AM.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 REFUSED to nurse. We just couldn't do it. With DD2, we had a rough start, but stuck it out, and now we're doing great! It never hurts to try. And the first few weeks will be tough, but they'll be over soon and you'll be glad you stuck it out.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Re: I'm a bit afraid

I had a horrible first 5 weeks with both of my nurslings, but was ultimately successful. No one can promise you that things will be different this time, but it sounds like your living situation will be exponentially better and you can be more prepared.

Go ahead and buy some gel nursing pads to soothe your nipples and make sure you have nipple cream on hand.

Line up a IBCLC to come to your home after your baby is born.

Read on Kellymom and Jack Newman's website. Watch the videos on Jack Newman's web site - they really, really help.

Even if the first few weeks suck again, you can persevere and things WILL get better. I'm not some crazy bf pusher, but it sounds like this is very important to you. With the right support and knowledge, you can do this, to spite any initial problems. And you are so right - bfing is so much easier than bottle feeding after baby gets latching figured out.

I love how after the first few weeks, its just mindless. No worrying about ounces or clean bottles or gas reducing nipples.

I am wishing you a wonderful start on your bfing relationship with this little one, mama.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote