Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
RF in a Ford focus

DS2 is 3 months and 15lbs. So, we're going to outgrow the bucket fast quick and in a hurry.

I am interested in the narrowest seat legs to head. So I can get it in the car

My situation. 2 in carseats, so middle is no good (or is it?) DS1 is FF in a Recaro. We also have a Cosco scenera (sp?) I haven't tried to RF in the focus. (would it?)

DH and I are 5'8" and 6'3" respectively. I have the bucket behind the passenger seat now and it is as far up as I can go. Literally, my knees are in the dash, it's probably not safest for my knees. But live babies and broken legs are better than whole legs and dead babies.

I'm not concerned (as much) about maximizing RFing. I have monster children, if I can get to 2 RF in a convertible I will do a dance. I'm seriously concerned he will outgrow his 20lb bucket before he's 12m. (DS1 did) DS1 is 32lb and 36" tall at 2.5 and DS2 is larger than DS1 when he was a baby.

I have a Ford Focus wagon.

I don't have a lot of extra money, but I will spend what it takes

so what are the most narrow or "upright" I guess? I see these monsters in the stores and think "no effing way"

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: RF in a Ford focus

The Radian RF's in the Focus very well. Honestly it has more room than my SUV does...I put 3 kids in BIL's 2003 sedan easily (Turbo booster, Radian, Coccoro). The Scenera will fit RF; at a newborn recline it might be a bit tight but once it can go more upright, you'll have plenty of room.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
The Radian RF's in the Focus very well. Honestly it has more room than my SUV does...I put 3 kids in BIL's 2003 sedan easily (Turbo booster, Radian, Coccoro). The Scenera will fit RF; at a newborn recline it might be a bit tight but once it can go more upright, you'll have plenty of room.
Ditto this, I love my focus because it fits rearfacing seats so well! Your Scenera will install rearfacing with no trouble, I have a radian rearfacing in mine and the passenger in front of it is still comfortable.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
erin13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora
Very good advice! We have a focus sedan and this is almost identical to what we do w/ our 3!!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I bet the new britax seats would fit really well too. They look big, but once you get them in the car, you have a lot of space left over! I know what you mean about it being a small car, my friends have one and while their DD was rfing in an infant bucket the passenger was crammed into the dash. They never even tried to rf her in a convertible, just turned her at a yr because they were sure it wouldn't work....but I bet my RA55 would rf in their car with no troubles at all!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am glad you ladies said the Cosco one will fit

So, when you say infant recline, when it's RFing a not-an-infant you don't have to recline it? the scenera just has that little foot that kicks out, I thought the foot was required to RF period. I'm am positive I can get both seats in there un-reclined. I mean... they fit forward un-reclined. So it would stand to reason they would fit backward too.
Is that the case with the Recaro too? because if it is, I may de-flip DS1. DH will think I'm a nutter, but he can suck it. It will probably be a battle. I hate that :/ He battles me on Extended BF too.

and when does not-an-infant start? 12m? suggestions on what I should do between 20lb when he outgrows the bucket and 12m? I should probably test and see if I can recline the scenera first before I get ahead of myself.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sack... I think ds1 has about outgrown the RF weight limit on the como. It's 35lbs and he's 32 last I checked.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
an_aurora
Registered Users

As soon as they have good head control they can go more upright. The RF foot has to be flipped up (so in RF mode) but it's easy to get them more upright just by not using the pool noodles, or by pushing down where baby's feet go when installing. The Scenera is normally very upright unless you use pool noodles or rolled towels to help make it recline.

With the Recaro, it can certainly go more upright; just pull the base out from the seat bight (crack) a little, and push down where baby's feet go while you install.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
With the Recaro, it can certainly go more upright; just pull the base out from the seat bight (crack) a little, and push down where baby's feet go while you install.
thats how it is now in FF. i didn't know you could sit them upright RF. good to know! I'm confident they will fit if not reclined
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

By the time he outgrows the infant bucket, he will likely have good head control....5 mths or so. By then, he can go more upright. The basic rule is nb's need a recline of 45 degrees and older infants/toddlers can be more upright, like 30 degrees. So if you would have to use pool noodles or towels under the seat to make it recline enough for a nb, just don't use them and it should sit up straighter for him....but you do have to use the foot like mentioned.