Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Never Mind!! Visiting Family - Question about a booster for a 4 yr old?

Hi. I'm visiting family in a few weeks and don't want to bring my car seat. My DD who is 4 yrs (5 in Feb) is in a convertible car seat right now. She's about 37 lbs.

My sister, who I'm visiting, has a Graco HighBack Turbo Booster car seat, supposedly OK to fit 30-100 lbs and for 3 to 10 years old.

We're just visiting for 5 days. Do you think this is "Safe" for her to use? I guess I'm just nervous b/c we haven't put her in a booster before.

ETA: Just read the Texas laws and it says 40 lbs is the min, and she's not there yet. I think we're just going to buy one and have it shipped to the store for my sister to pick up. I figured we'll just buy one since we do visit often. (Usually, another sister has one for us to borrow, but she's out of town for part of our trip).

Advertisement

Last edited by naomi's mama; 10-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would bring my seat. I don't like boosters for kids that still fit in 5pts. I suppose it's 'safe' if there isn't an accident. If there is an accident she would 'safer' in a 5pt. IMO. I purchased padded car seat bags to check my seats. They are huge, a pain and entirely annoying to travel with, but my kids are allows as safe as I can make them
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Never Mind!! Visiting Family - Question about a booster for a 4 yr old?

An Evenflo Maestro would be a good choice. It harnesses to 50 pounds with tall slots and is fairly inexpensive.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

It could go either way--at that age, there's no data saying a harness is safer if she can sit still. Take a harnessed seat if you can afford it easily, but I wouldn't have issue with using a booster for the trip either.

And FWIW Texas does not have a 40-lb law; they just say under 5 must be in a seat, which includes boosters.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
And FWIW Texas does not have a 40-lb law; they just say under 5 must be in a seat, which includes boosters.
The law changed a couple of years ago to require boosters for kids under 8 or 4'9". There is a 4 and 40lbs suggestion written in to the law.

OP, why are you not just taking a seat with you? If you're flying she can ride in the seat on the plane and you can carry it with a luggage cart.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
OP, why are you not just taking a seat with you? If you're flying she can ride in the seat on the plane and you can carry it with a luggage cart.
There's 4 of us travelling and we do travel to Texas often, usually, along with strollers, luggage, etc. It's just such a hassle b/c most of the time, my DS also has a car seat (he's 2). Since we travel to Texas often (3-4 times a year), it's just easier to buy one. Our family in texas is huge, so when my other sisters fly in to visit, we figure they could use it too, if we're not there.

Anyways, I think we are going to just buy another convertible car seat. She's on the smaller/average ht size, so we're just more comfortable with the seat at this time, I think -- although boosters seem so much easier!
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

If there other kids that will use a convertible to rear face then a convertible will be fine. If no one is going to use it rear facing then you should by a combination seat so that you're not wasting half of a seat's functionality.