Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Seat for 3 year old....

Good morning all. My DD just turned 3 in September...is 30lb and 36" tall. We have a 7 year old Alpha Elite and the straps on the 5-point are way below DD sholders. Is that bad? I would like to get her a new seat but DH wants to just use the seatbelt while in the Alpha Elite and use a booster in his car. Ahhhhh! She is always bending over to pick up something or putting the strap under her arm....I'm not comfortable with it.
Is there another seat that you all can recommend that has much higher arm straps on the 5-pt that is under $80? It's like pulling teeth to get DH to spend $$ on a new seat......I understand the importance but he has different views....

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have an Evenflo Chase. Inexpensive and 5 point harness to 50lbs (if I recall), then belt booster until 100lbs. They have them at wal mart for $60ish
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Seat for 3 year old....

When a child is forward facing the straps need to be at or above the shoulders. Straps coming from below the child's shoulder can cause spinal compression in an accident.
A booster is not an appropriate restraint for a 3 year old because 3 year olds do not sit still. They mess with the belt and do not remain in position. A child cannot be safe in a booster if they do not stay in position 100% of the time, even while sleeping.
The Alpha Omega and its clones make horrible, dangerous boosters. They position the lap portion of the belt over the soft tissue of the stomach rather than the legs and hips where it should be. This can cause massive internal injuries in an accident. I would get rid of that seat altogether and buy a combination (harness to booster) seat. The Evenflo Maestro is $80 and harnesses to 50 lbs. It is outgrown in booster mode right around the time the harness height is outgrown so you would have to get a dedicated booster later but boosters are not very expensive. The Graco Nautilus is around $150 and it harnesses to 65 lbs and then becomes a high back booster and a backless booster. It's a great seat if you can find a way to work it in to your budget.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
We have an Evenflo Chase. Inexpensive and 5 point harness to 50lbs (if I recall), then belt booster until 100lbs. They have them at wal mart for $60ish
The Chase is very short and only harnesses to 40 lbs. Our coalition gives these out and often times taller kids have already outgrown them. I would skip the Chase because you will have to buy another seat before a booster is a safe option if it hasn't been outgrown already. The Chase gives an inch and a half of harness height over the Chase.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
schmoopee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maieranne View Post
Good morning all. My DD just turned 3 in September...is 30lb and 36" tall. We have a 7 year old Alpha Elite and the straps on the 5-point are way below DD sholders. Is that bad? I would like to get her a new seat but DH wants to just use the seatbelt while in the Alpha Elite and use a booster in his car. Ahhhhh! She is always bending over to pick up something or putting the strap under her arm....I'm not comfortable with it.
Is there another seat that you all can recommend that has much higher arm straps on the 5-pt that is under $80? It's like pulling teeth to get DH to spend $$ on a new seat......I understand the importance but he has different views....
Yes, it's bad. The straps belowe her shoulders in a forward-facing car seat can cause spinal compression in a crash.

Also, the Alpha Omega Elites make a crappy booster, bad belt positioning.

Also, you do not want a just-turned-3 year old in a booster no matter her size. You are right not to be "comfortable" with her squirming out of the seatbelt because it would absolutely kill her in a crash.

Watch this, make your DH watch this too:
schmoopee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've used a MR65 since DD turned 1. Maybe that would be a good option? It's about $100 if on sale...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you go to the NHTSA booster ratings, the Alpha Omega is on the Not Recommended list because they do not fit kids right.

A booster is not appropriate for a 3 year old, and in many places it is illegal to booster before 4 years AND 40 pounds.

I would look at the Maestro. They are about $80, and have 17" top slots.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much!! I will look into the seats you all have mentioned. I didn't realize the Alpha Omega was so poorly rated.

What is MR65?----oh I figured it out.

Last edited by maieranne; 10-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
maieranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't buy a MR65 for a ffing only child unless you get a steal of a deal ($100 or less) or you plan to pass it down. Plus, some people don't like it for ffing because it reclines a lot. I would go with the nauti if you can swing it or the meastro.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
mommyfrog
Registered Users

In your price range, I'd look at the Maestro.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote