Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 month old sleeping issues bf related?

How is your baby's naps? Is your baby taking 2 good solid 1-2 hour naps and possibly a 3rd one that is a little shorter?

What time are you putting your baby down for bed? How often does your LO feed during the day? Are you feeding from 1 breast per feeding or 2?

All 3 of my kids were ebf'd until 6 months. 2 were sleeping thru 10-12 hours at one month old (I'm just lucky I guess, because I'm not a fan of CIO.) My other started around 5.5 months old.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have 5 kids, and I tell you from experience that it just depends on the kid.

Devin was FF and slept through the night early. Caleb was BF and didn't sleep worth a squat. Rebekah was BF and STTN at 3 months. Emery was BF and still woke up twice a night to eat until around 18 months. Her metabolism was (and still is) just really fast. She still wakes up once or twice a week and the first words out of her mouth every morning are "I'm hungry".

My newbie, Addalyn, is EBF and is now 5 months but has been STTN since she was 6 weeks old...no kidding. Emery woke up twice last week and Addalyn didn't make a peep. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum- please excuse any weird posts. My phone thinks it's smarter than me.
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

All babies are different...All of my kiddos have been efb and sttn at different stages. My first lo was a dream baby and slept through the night at 6 weeks (she was a fatty too); however, my twins didn't sleep through the night until they were about 9 months old and baby #4 still wakes up 2-3 times a night and she is 9 months old.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

I am so grateful for this thread! As a FTM, I feel like I'm doing something wrong because my little guy isn't STTN the night at 5 months. Reading all of the baby books made me feel worse, so thanks ladies for making me feel better.
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

loonyluna: Not sleeping thru the night at 5 months is STILL COMPLETELY NORMAL! Your baby should be able to give you a 4-5 hour stretch at night however. And you should see them wanting to go down for bed around 6-7pm. (that starts around 4 months old) Don't keep your baby up in hopes of having them sleep longer...it won't work. Babies this age require up to 13/14 hours of sleep a day! And remember "the books" often consider sleeping thru the night to be 6 hours or more for a baby. (Not MY definition! lol)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama4
loonyluna: Not sleeping thru the night at 5 months is STILL COMPLETELY NORMAL! Your baby should be able to give you a 4-5 hour stretch at night however. And you should see them wanting to go down for bed around 6-7pm. (that starts around 4 months old) Don't keep your baby up in hopes of having them sleep longer...it won't work. Babies this age require up to 13/14 hours of sleep a day! And remember "the books" often consider sleeping thru the night to be 6 hours or more for a baby. (Not MY definition! lol)
Thanks for the advice. He's sleeping from 8 pm to 8 am, so maybe he needs to get to bed earlier.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

8 to 8 sounds pretty good. If your baby seems happy in the evening, I wouldn't mess with it. If you are experiencing the "witching" hour, that is a good sign your baby wants to go to bed.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama4 View Post
8 to 8 sounds pretty good. If your baby seems happy in the evening, I wouldn't mess with it. If you are experiencing the "witching" hour, that is a good sign your baby wants to go to bed.
My problem is that once he falls asleep, he constantly wakes up for the first couple of hours. He's a side sleeper, so he'll wake up crying if he rolls onto his stomach or back. I also think he wakes up alone and freaks out.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know a lot of moms disagree with this, but I've always followed the 15 minute rule with naps and wake up. I had twins, so I had to use this rule for my sanity, and it's worked very well. Unless they're screaming bloody murder like something is really wrong, I wait 15 minutes to see if they can work it out on their own. When the cry is screaming, I go immediately. One time my little girl had her leg stuck thru the slats of the crib. Poor baby.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama4 View Post
How is your baby's naps? Is your baby taking 2 good solid 1-2 hour naps and possibly a 3rd one that is a little shorter?

What time are you putting your baby down for bed? How often does your LO feed during the day? Are you feeding from 1 breast per feeding or 2?

All 3 of my kids were ebf'd until 6 months. 2 were sleeping thru 10-12 hours at one month old (I'm just lucky I guess, because I'm not a fan of CIO.) My other started around 5.5 months old.
My little guy isn't a great napper either. We are working on that though. He does do a morning nap for about an hourish and then an afternoon nap that can be up to 2 hours long but he always seems to wake up about 25-30 minutes into it and begin screaming. Sometimes I can resettle him. Sometimes I end up getting him up and letting him chill in the bouncy seat while my other son naps. This afternoon, I resettled twice but ended up letting him cry for 10 minutes. He eventually fell back asleep.

DS goes to bed around 6:30 and does sleep until about 6:30 or 7 am. He has been eating before bed, around 10pm, around 2:30am and then again around 5:30 or 6am. He typically fusses some in between those times, but can be resettled with a paci. For the past two nights I even got him to delay that early morning feeding until 4:45! So, maybe we're making progress...

He still doesn't love to eat and I think that is part of our problem. He only eats from one breast and is still refusing and solids of any kind. I think once he will go for some cereal or fruits and veggies he may start sleeping a little longer.

Overall, I am SO thankful for all your replies. I feel so much better about his not STTN! Like I said, my older kids were FF and slept through the night very early on - 12 hours a night by 12 weeks old. I was just certain that BF was my issue with this baby but maybe its just him...either way, he won't take formula, haha. I tried. He just gags. I guess I should make the best of our middle of the night wake ups :-) Thanks, Mamas!!