Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

DS not napping

I nurse him to sleep, but as soon as I try to put him down he wakes up crying and stays awake until I put him back on the boob. He's just not getting enough sleep this way. I love it holding, nursing, and rocking him, but have come to realize that it is unhealthy for him. Not from a "he can't self soothe" stand point, but from a "not enough sleep" standpoint. And I'm freaked about what will happen at DC in a couple of months. DS is 5 months. Anybody else have a boob napper? What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump
I nurse him to sleep, but as soon as I try to put him down he wakes up crying and stays awake until I put him back on the boob. He's just not getting enough sleep this way. I love it holding, nursing, and rocking him, but have come to realize that it is unhealthy for him. Not from a "he can't self soothe" stand point, but from a "not enough sleep" standpoint. And I'm freaked about what will happen at DC in a couple of months. DS is 5 months. Anybody else have a boob napper? What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!
Sounds like he just needs you to be able to sleep. My DS had to be latched on or worn (while I was moving) for naps for the entire first year. It will get better. Some babies are just more needy than others. I would try wearing him, it should make things easier on you.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: DS not napping

I understand. My DD1 was not breastfed, but couldn't nap unless I was holding her until she was 9 months old. With DD2, we didn't get her to lay down for naps until 6 months, she's BF. We just kept trying, and eventually it worked. You can try a few things to help: Warm up the mattress a little before you lay em down, nothing worse than going from mommies warm arms to a chilly sheet. Try pulling him off the nipple while holding him, then hold him for another 10 min before laying him down. Keep him tucked close to your body til you get him on the mattress. My DD2 also slept better more up on her side than her back. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Sadawa29
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat. My baby is 11 weeks, EBF, and sleeps through the night well in his own crib but HATES napping in it. He would rather someone, anyone hold him for his naps or me wear him in the sling. Or he just wants to sleep with my boob in his mouth the whole time just in case he wakes up hungry, he'll have immediate access. Lol. We shoot for at least 1 or 2 45 min-1 hr crib naps per day and then I'll just hold him or wear him for the rest. Getting a sling would definitely help you out! Dont worry too much about it. I think they will sleep better as they get older an mature. Just try to enjoy this time because one day you will be wishing for it all back!
Sadawa29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, you are NOT alone! My DS is 6 months and I have been battling this frustration myself. He had a spell from about 5-10 weeks where he napped in his crib for up to 1.5 hours, usually in the morning. The rest of the day he needed to be worn. Then he decided naps were for losers and started the whole waking up as soon as I even moved kind of thing. Even today, I nursed him until he was out, stopped sucking and taken himself off. I even held him another 10 minutes or so. He still woke up as soon as I tried to stand up and put him down. That was at 2pm. He had a 2 hour nap in my carrier from 10a-12noon, then those 10 minutes in my arms and was awake ALL.AFTER.NOON!!! I couldn't get him to go back to bed, even lying down with him. I kept him awake and finally got him in bed after MUCH protesting around 7:15p. I feel so bad when he gets so overtired and cranky like that. For some reason, he will eventually go to sleep at night. I do have to let him fuss some, but like at naps, he can be out, not sucking, not attached, and he'll wake up when I try to put him down. So, I just leave him alone unless he really gets going crazy. But for naps, forget it, he would scream his head off for hours if I let him. So, I just wear him. And some days I nap with him, but I don't do that much because that means my older ones are watching TV or a movie and I just feel bad if they do that too much. It's really hard because I LOVE ds, LOVE nursing him, and LOVE being snuggled with him most of the time. But other times, I am just really ready for my personal space and I get really frustrated at him for needing me so much sometimes. My other 2 were napping GREAT by now, so I keep waiting for it to happen with this one!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
clothhorse
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ds is almost 5 months and we have a similar problem. I can eventually move him in to his swing and he will sleep there. The dr told me to start getting him to nap in his crib, but he will not sleep anywhere except with me while nursing or in his swing. His nap patterns have gotten significantly worse. From what Ive gathered though he will grow out of it and I try to enjoy how close he wants to be to me for now because once those little legs start moving Im sure he will be as far away as possible! Lol. I am worried about going back to school full time in january, but Im hoping he has improved by then. Its amazing how fast they can change and I guess we will cross that hill when it comes to it.
clothhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I guess I'll just keep trying and hopefully it will eventually start working. Yesterday we had company, so sitting in the glider for his nap was not practical. I eventually got him to fall asleep in the ring sling, but it involved more tears than I prefer. I just hate to hear my boy cry! He wouldn't nurse in the RS, so I know he wasn't really hungry, just wanted to latch on and sleep.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
sirgradypants
Registered Users
seller

Location: Living in Hawaii with Navy hubby - from the Jersey shore (the real one!!)
My Mood:

As I'm reading this, I'm sitting with my son in my Beco Gemini LOL

He will NOT let me put him down for a nap, even if he looks like he's sleeping after breastfeeding him, I put him down and BAM! So I just carry him everywhere now just so he gets some sleep in my carrier. Otherwise, he's a super fussy eater and spits up more. I know how you feel mama!
sirgradypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many hugs to you mama! I totally hear your frustration--DD1 didn't sleep unless she was latched on until around a year, and she didn't go to sleep without nursing until she was around 19 or 20 months... and even then it took a lot of back patting.

One thing--it's not unhealthy for him to need you. If that's how he needs to sleep, it's how he needs to sleep for now. DC will be okay, because they're not you, so they'll be able to get him to do things that you'd never dream of (and it'll make you crazy, because you'll be all, "why will he do x for them and not for me!) Just snuggle him close now, because my constantly-needing touch infant/toddler has turned into a "no snuggles now, Mommy" preschooler, and I already miss my cuddles.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I do! Older dd was like that too. Honestly, I nurse him and put him in our moby wrap and he will nap that way most days. Some days it takes me several tries before he actually stays asleep in the Moby, and then I feel like we nurse constantly!!!! He stays attached most all night and much of the time he's awake. The Moby lets me keep some sanity