Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS not napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I guess I'll just keep trying and hopefully it will eventually start working. Yesterday we had company, so sitting in the glider for his nap was not practical. I eventually got him to fall asleep in the ring sling, but it involved more tears than I prefer. I just hate to hear my boy cry! He wouldn't nurse in the RS, so I know he wasn't really hungry, just wanted to latch on and sleep.
BTW, we tried several carriers before finding one that he would sleep in. I had a bjorn and made a ringsling, neither worked. I decided to try the Moby b/c it was the only thing we could even consider affording! It was a hit! I am so glad we tried it

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW
One thing--it's not unhealthy for him to need you. If that's how he needs to sleep, it's how he needs to sleep for now. DC will be okay, because they're not you, so they'll be able to get him to do things that you'd never dream of (and it'll make you crazy, because you'll be all, "why will he do x for them and not for me!) Just snuggle him close now, because my constantly-needing touch infant/toddler has turned into a "no snuggles now, Mommy" preschooler, and I already miss my cuddles.
I meant the amount of sleep he is getting is unhealthy. If I sneeze, **** position, or have to pee, naptime is over. The longest he'll sleep is about an hour. Usually closer to 20 minutes.

I can try more carriers, but they still suffer from me having to wake him to get him in.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Lol, guess I misspelled shift!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

My DD went through a phase where I couldn't put her down for naps when she was around 2 months old. I just carried her in my ergo for a week or so during nap time. She got over it after about 2 weeks. Sometimes if she is fighting sleep I lay down in a dark room and nurse her.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
I can try more carriers, but they still suffer from me having to wake him to get him in.

I can wrap ds in the Moby wrap w/o taking him off of me That's part of what makes it work for us!!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

As a mother of twins, I couldn't physically hold both babies while they napped. I used the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." You child can stay asleep on his own. It may be tough for a day or two, but it really shouldn't be that bad. I'm not OK with CIO, but I'm OK with what I call "FIO" (fuss it out.) I know a lot of moms on this forum hate this book, but for me and every tired mother who desparately wants their baby to learn to stay asleep on their own, it has been AMAZING! You need to first read the first 2 chapters and then go on to the section that is the age of your child (it goes to school aged children)

The author states in this book, he sees NOTHING wrong with nursing to sleep. It's natural and a great soothing technique. You just need to get him from your arms to the crib. I had that problem with my first and this book helped. A nap where rapid eye movement is not happening (starts after about 1 hour of sleep) is not restorative sleep.

Good luck to you. It's such a hard place to be. It can get better and it can get better quickly! Here's to some better rest for your LO and some needed free time for you!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I did purchase this book, the same day I started this thread. It just came in and I'm still on the first chapter. I did try to transition him to the crib today, he woke up, and I left him for 10 minutes. He was fussing a bit, but definitely not crying. He was calm enough to give me a big grin when I came back. Of course he was also awake enough to give me a big grin too. I tried this twice, then just got him up. 30 minutes later i tried afain with the same result. So, here we are again. I'm in the glider, he's asleep on the boppy, has only been asleep for 30 minutes, and I really have to pee.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As you further read into this book, you will find that you should leave your child in their crib for longer than 10 minutes (I broke that rule, if my child was SCREAMING.) If after the set time limit, the child is not asleep, then forgo that nap. The next scheduled nap might be a little earlier, but you wait and try again at the next naptime. Don't keep trying every hour to put them down. That will just frustrate you and your baby. In this transition, you may need to give your baby an extra early bedtime to make up for lost sleep during the day. Babies tend to wake around the same time, so it's best to try to get that extra needed sleep on the front end rather than hope they'll sleep in.

Good luck to you. Feel free to ask questions/opinions.

Another thing you will find that will help is the timing of naps. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to those points in the book. When you put your child to sleep is probably way more important than how. You may find their first morning nap at 5 months of age needs to be only 1 hour after they wake up! This was always my LOs best naps of the day! As they get older this nap will more a little later. But after that first morning nap a good rule of thumb is that a baby that age should not be up for more than 2 hours!!! So after 1.5 hours, it's time to start the next naptime routine. Here's to better sleep for the whole family!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As you further read into this book, you will find that you should leave your child in their crib for longer than 10 minutes (I broke that rule, if my child was SCREAMING.) If after the set time limit, the child is not asleep, then forgo that nap. The next scheduled nap might be a little earlier, but you wait and try again at the next naptime. Don't keep trying every hour to put them down. That will just frustrate you and your baby. In this transition, you may need to give your baby an extra early bedtime to make up for lost sleep during the day. Babies tend to wake around the same time, so it's best to try to get that extra needed sleep on the front end rather than hope they'll sleep in.

Another thing you will find that will help is the timing of naps. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to those points in the book. When you put your child to sleep is probably way more important than how. You may find their first morning nap at 5 months of age needs to be only 1 hour after they wake up! This was always my LOs best naps of the day! As they get older this nap will more a little later. But after that first morning nap a good rule of thumb is that a baby that age should not be up for more than 2 hours!!! So after 1.5 hours, it's time to start the next naptime routine. Here's to better sleep for the whole family!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #20
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama4

If I can jump in b/c I have this book and am having a hard time getting my LO to nap too. He's 6.5 months and goes to bed around 6:30-7. He is sometimes asleep when I put him down, but if he is he often wakes 30-45 min later needing to nurse again. Sometimes he will wake when I put him down so I let him cry. Honestly he gets pretty worked up but will usually settle down and go to sleep in less than 15-20 min.

However, daytime, he would cry and scream for hours if I let him. If he's asleep when I try to put him down he wakes up. Or if I miraculously get him in bed it only lasts 30 min. I've tried to leave him to see if he would settle back down but he escalates pretty quickly so I get him. I just wear him for naps right now because it's exhausting trying to get him down for a nap. And I have other kids to tend to as well. I just don't know how to get him to nap better!