Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

Share your advice for a newbie :)

Hey girls, i would love for you to share some advice of what you learned with bfing. I had a bad experience with my first son and gave up after nothing worked for us. So im just trying to be more prepared. I already have a local lcs number written down for any issues that come up when we get home. I have made myself a more comfortable place to nurse than our couch. I got a glider with a nursing stool

Advertisement

Angela~mama to B(5/09) M(11/11) #3 6.11.13
Khaag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Share your advice for a newbie :)

Read everything you can about breastfeeding (there's a sticky with recommended books in this forum), watch latch videos online, go to La Leche league meetings before baby is born and after.

Also, try to learn to nurse in a carrier and side-lying as soon as you can--both will help you a lot to get things done and to get more rest.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just read this blog post about breastfeeding a second child after difficulties with the first. http://motherloveblog.com/2011/10/10/an-interview-with-the-author-of-breastfeeding-take-two-sucessful-breastfeeding-the-second-time-around/
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

Thank you girls! I just read that blog post and loved it. Thanks for sharing, its almost what i went through with my first.
Angela~mama to B(5/09) M(11/11) #3 6.11.13
Khaag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nurse side-lying! Don't think you have to be able to nurse holding the baby on your lap like in all the pictures. And don't be discouraged if your milk doesn't show up the second baby is born. Mine took an unusually long 5 days and we just hit a year of successful nursing.

And finally, relax. Trust your body and that it knows how to provide for your baby. Don't worry about supply, or thar your baby is getting enough. Just trust your body.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
marylexilove66
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

side lying nursing is great for the middle of the night...i wanted to quit until i remembered this position and also the first three weeks are the hardest...get past them and it gets easier....
marylexilove66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Almost everyone has a rough start. Your nipples will hurt no matter what the books say. You'll have days all you want is for someone else to be able to feed baby. But it's all worth it. Expect it to work out. Once my LO nursed well (around 6 weeks) once a day I pumped and daddy gave a bottle of breastmilk. Nice break for me, good bonding for them.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't check the baby's weight until after your milk comes in; it can create a lot of unnecessary worry. You will make enough milk, and your baby does want to nurse, no matter how much he or she might cry in the beginning. It's a learning process for both of you. Also, it's best to just take responsibility for feeding the baby all of the time, barring any complications like a premature baby, etc. No one else can really substitute for you, even with pumped milk. Pumping will probably not make it easier to breastfeed in the first few weeks, but it might cause some unwanted problems, so don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

just my 2 cents, and no offense meant to anyone that did things differently. Keeping it simple worked best for us- baby, breast, and nothing else until I needed to go back to work.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
gmumLuLu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

an lcs is always a good resource. not sure if the other ladies posted this, but shari criso is an expert. google her. stick with it. my first time around i did not know how much info was out there. i did not have the greatest success, and supplemented. this time is much much better and baby is ebf. i had to wear shields for latching issues and soreness on occasion, but we worked through it. get past the first few weeks and if you are still having issues definitely meet with someone about it because it should really get a whole lot easier-and enjoyable.
gmumLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

That hours and hours and hours on my boob was totally normal for the first 6 weeks!! I did not expect cluster feeding to be that draining... I watched LOTS of tv while side-laying nursing.

And... The first month is the hardest, every day after that gets easier and easier!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote