Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Non-dairy diet

Hi mama's!
My baby has a dairy allergy- no butter, no milk, no cheese, etc! She is just under 2 months old and I'm breastfeeding. I just need some nutritional feedback. I want to maintain a healthy diet, I can do soy milk and veggie burgers, etc. but tofu isn't my thing! So give me the skinny on what is delicious and what to avoid!
Any vegan mom's that have advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh, some delicious "junk" food would be helpful, too!

Advertisement

Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would recommend almond or rice milk over soy. When my stepmom had major health issues, we found out soy isn't always the best choice. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I would recommend almond or rice milk over soy. When my stepmom had major health issues, we found out soy isn't always the best choice. Good luck!
Agree soy can be bad for the thyroid. Wish I knew that.. I have hashimotos..
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

Ugh, I am in the exact same boat, and just started researching dairy free/vegan foods. The site godairyfree.com has some fantastic info. They have listings of all chain restaurants and what is dairy free and everything. It's great! Also, I've read that nutritionally coconut milk is the best milk substitute.

And Oreos! They are vegan approved and the only way I've made it through the last several weeks without milk, butter and ice cream!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-dairy diet

Try coconut milk, almond milk over soy for sure. Soy is also a big potential allergen. I totally agree with what a few others have said- limit soy intake because it's not good for your thyroid. Also, most soy is GMO and that has another whole set of risks.

You can make kefir with coconut milk or water. Many researchers are starting to beleive that allergies in babies are actually related to the state of the mother's gut system. If the mom isn't properly digesting milk protein or any other protein, for that matter, that passes in the milk in a form that the baby cannot tolerate. Cut out as many processed foods as you can. Also, ghee can be bought or made at home, and since all of the milk proteins are cooked out of it, it works great as a substitute for butter. Coconut oil is a good oil for cooking- much better than canola or vegetable oils.

You can also check out the GAPS diet- it might help the baby's allergies.

Also, raw milk is often much better tolerated than pasteurized- the pasteurization process changes the proteins in the milk and makes it much harder to digest.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank You, thank you!
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
crunchyjunky
Registered Users

My Mood:

soy is not good.....
crunchyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I have heard through my stepmom from her doc, but have not done any research to back this up: Soy absorbs pesticides, and it is almost impossible to clean them out. It also has a chemical that can be converted to estrogen in the body, leading to high estrogen levels. Depending on other issues, it can prevent proper absorption of nutrients by the intestines. Anyone with concrete facts feel free to refute me, just saying what a doctor told my stepmom (who had to have her entire colon removed).
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been dairy free for years (also soy free due to an allergy)! We use Silk brand Coconut Milk. It comes in a carton and is essentially the same as other non dairy milks, just so much tastier!

Daiya Cheese is the best alternative cheese out there, it melts really well and is really good. Earth Balance has a wide variety of dairy free butter options too, I go for the soy free version. It's really good and bakes well. Enjoy Life also has allergy free chocolate chips (no dairy, soy etc. it's pricey though so if your baby can tolerate normal chocolate chips then don't worry about it).

I go for So Delicious Coconut Yogurt on an occasional basis, the stuff is a bit expensive though. They also have coconut based ice cream available (it's so good).

Anyways, you'll find Silk Coconut at Walmart for sure, So Delicious ice cream will be there too. Sometimes you can find it at a regular grocery store (back in So Cal we found it there, not here in Northern NY though). Health food stores will Daiya and the yogurt, as well as the milk and ice cream too, just a bit pricier.

OH! You can also buy boxed icing mixes and use that to make cake icing. I use Earth Balance and a bit of palm shortening and the coconut milk.

Canned Coconut makes the best pudding though, I use half canned coconut milk and half of the silk coconut milk.

I Could go on forever here, it took me a bit to learn, but it was worth it since I'm really allergic to dairy. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
blathnat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

coconut ice cream is so good

I like nutritional yeast sprinkled over popcorn for a healthy, faux-cheesy snack, and it is good for milk production
blathnat is offline   Reply With Quote