Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm in the same boat. DD2 is six weeks old and we have been dairy free since week 2. I find that meals aren't too difficult for us-we eat a lot of fruits and veggies anyway. But snacks are harder. I like almond milk best, and I use Smart Balance margarine. I eat English muffins with apple or peanut butter a lot (just be careful-some brands of English muffins have milk. I buy Kroger brand)

I like Oreos, Stacy's pita chips, sorbet, and Ghirardelli 72% cacao dark chocolate as snacks. The Peanut Butter Co also has a dark chocolate peanut butter that is awesome.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

Careful, Smart Balance does have a small amount of milk (whey) in it!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydazedesigns
Careful, Smart Balance does have a small amount of milk (whey) in it!
It is listed as both Vegan and dairy-free per their site. I do buy the organic version, so don't know if that makes a difference. Most other margarines contain whey or casein so that's why I use this one.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
BreckinsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Non-dairy diet

I feel for you Mama! I went through the same thing with DS, also ended up needing to cut out eggs and tomatoes. DS and I still love almond milk. I also agree with those who recommend the coconut milk yogurt and ice cream, especially the chocolate it is to die for! Good luck and great job on doing such a great thing for your little one, it is great for you too (I lost a ton of weight)!

ETA: I used coconut oil as butter, yummy!

Last edited by BreckinsMommy; 10-12-2011 at 08:32 PM.
BreckinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
Brits
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've got to start this now. I'm not looking forward to it, but these tips should help, thanks ladies!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #16
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland

It is listed as both Vegan and dairy-free per their site. I do buy the organic version, so don't know if that makes a difference. Most other margarines contain whey or casein so that's why I use this one.
Ahhh, it must be because it is organic because my carton of regular Smart Balance does have milk whey on it. That's good to know because we use Smart Balance and I thought I would be able to use it when I went dairy free until I checked the ingredients.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #17
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Non-dairy diet

WonderGil suggestions, so glad I placed this thread! Can't wait to go shopping and try out some of these goodies!

I love,love ,love chocolate milk- I've been drinking silk chocolate milk. Now that I know it's so bad for you I need to find another chocolate source, suggestions?
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolobug
WonderGil suggestions, so glad I placed this thread! Can't wait to go shopping and try out some of these goodies!

I love,love ,love chocolate milk- I've been drinking silk chocolate milk. Now that I know it's so bad for you I need to find another chocolate source, suggestions?
Silk makes chocolate almond milk too.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #19
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and just a heads up...be careful with pasta sauce! Nearly all of it has cheese in it! I've had to start making my own.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland View Post
Oh, and just a heads up...be careful with pasta sauce! Nearly all of it has cheese in it! I've had to start making my own.
Classico has some great non-dairy and soy free pasta sauce available. Prego does too, only that has sugar in it too for some reason.