Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tips to make getting out the door easier?

What do you do to keep your household organized and running smoothly to make getting out the door in the morning easier?

I work full time and do the morning daycare drop off. I seem to be getting to work later and later...especially now that I have to send solids for DD to eat. Getting her bottles ready, food cut and packaged, diapers together, her dressed, me dressed, all toys up so dog doesn't chew them, etc. takes a long time. My alarm goes off at 5:45 and lately I'm not getting her to daycare until 8/8:15 (5 min drive), so I don't get to work until 8:30/9.

DH picks her up in the afternoons and they hang out until I get there around 5:30/6. Bedtime at 7, then we eat dinner, dishes, diaper laundry, pick up and it's time for bed.

Hoping to get some ideas that we can implement to help things run smoother. We don't cook ahead, DH often goes to the store after work to pick up something for dinner and he does most of the cooking. We try to do a big clean of the house on the weekends.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

Re: Tips to make getting out the door easier?

Prepare everything you can the night before from food (breakfast and lunch), to clothes, to whatever else you need to take.

Personally, I would make a point to plan meals for a week at a time and do the grocery shopping on the weekend, and to have a couple meals in the freezer or at least prepped and ready to go right away. Even though it's your DH cooking (I assume while you tend to something else) it would free up time for him to help more or having ready dinner earlier.

I leave the house at 8 so I can get to work by 9. When my DH can pick DD up I get home around 5:30, otherwise it's 6:00. I do all the meal planning/grocery shopping/food cooking/dinner preparing/laundry etc. myself. The thing really helps me is to just have everything prepared and being organized. Even if I get to bed later then I would like, it's a huge help to not have to think or remember where things are in the morning.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I second PP. We pack the diaper bag and food the night before and lay out everyone's clothes as well. DH and DS bathe at night; I shower in the morning as a wake up time for me. DH takes the dog out and feeds him and makes DS breakfast while I get DS up and dressed.

We meal plan by the week. DH does all the cooking and I do all the cleaning and laundry. I always put diapers in to wash after I put DS to bed; I set the long wash to run while I'm asleep and then put them on the drying rack or in the dryer in the morning. I stuff the next night. I do one load of laundry a night and I'm not stuck doing it all on the weekends.

DH chooses meals that are easy to prepare during the week. He pulls whatever meat is part of the meal that night and puts it in the fridge before we leave for work. We spend about an hour on Sunday evenings after our weekly shop and DS is asleep prepping food for the week. We peel and chop veggies, brown meat, etc. so that the week runs as smoothly as possible. We have about 45 minutes of work a day with our routine which still gives us an hour to ourselves after DS goes to bed before bedtime.

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
PineapplePi
Registered Users

OP, your post brought flashing back what I refer to as "the dark times" of when DS was that age. It seemed like all I did was pump, fill bottles, wash bottles, prep food for him to take to school, wash laundry, wash dishes, and (sometimes) sleep. On the weekends, I cooked for the week, went grocery shopping, cleaned the house,and nursed the baby. For two months or so, I cried every day because I was exhausted, the house was a mess, I hated my job, commute, everything. DH was pitching in and everything, but it was a very stressful time for me because I couldn't see how it was ever going to get better. I wish someone had told me what I'm about to tell you: For the next few weeks, do whatever you have to do to just get through for awhile. I bought extra bottles so I could go a week ata time without washing. We ate a lot of frozen waffles,sandwiches, and just-add-water soup mixes. We used paper plates and didn't dust or vacuum. I did a lot of prep the night before so that all I had to do was throw bottles and food and icepacks in one bag and go...I put all the other bags in the car the night before. After I felt more comfortable about the daycare and his ability to eat solids, he started eating modified school food. That was a huge help. Then he was done with bottles. Then he was done with breastmilk. Then one night it was all better, and I thought, "well, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

So, sorry for the long rambling post. I hate it when people tell me that its just a phase and it'll be over before you know it, but it really will. You just have to do what you HAVE to do for the next little bit and everything else can wait awhile. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Always got my eyes out for something new and interesting to add to my compost heap
PineapplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I leave the house no later than 7am .. Pack the food/bottles the night before and put them in the fridge...all you have to do is pull the bag out of the fridge to go. Lay out any clothes everyone is wearing the night before. Put diapers and any extras that have to go to school in the car the night before or leave a supply of diapers in the trunk that way once you get to school you can just pull out what you need.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you could also try and see if your daycare provider is willing to store a week's worth of supplies instead of just one diaper bag a day. besides that, I would do everything possible the night before and make your DH do more. you can do lunches and bottles the night before, have clothes laid out and such.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you get her up right before you leave? I know for me, the more I can prep sans kids, the faster I am. On days I don't have daycare kids, I wake my 3yo up just in time to get him dressed as he's on the potty & have a cup of juice sitting on the top of the stair bannister. Off we go take his big brother to school in less than 5 minutes!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

These are great ideas/suggestions...thank you! Laying out our clothes the night before would save a ton of time and eliminate some of my morning stress. Putting bags in the car too...I usually have to make multiple trips with pump bag, laptop, daycare bag, purse and DD (who won't let me out of her sight so I carry her back and forth).

We've talked about weekly meal-planning and have never gotten it down...I think we need to give it another shot. DH is super helpful all-around and if I ask him to handle specific tasks he's all over it. Maybe he can prep bottles...we're almost transitioning to sippy cups. That will help a ton since we have to wash bottles each night (had two days worth until dog ate a couple of the nipples...don't want to buy more at this point).

I'm lucky to have a flexible job, but I don't like getting in so late and feeling stressed. Off to prep DD's food for tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

exactly what the PP's have said. Put all clothes and shoes out the night before. Especially shoes. I hate searching for shoes in the morning! Pack all the lunches, etc. When dd has to go to daycare I even fill up her sippy for the morning the night before so I just literally have to take it out of the fridge. I am so not a morning person but the more I do at night the better the morning is.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

I agree with doing everything the night before. As soon as you get home and unpack the diaper bag, repack it right away. Lay out your clothes and your LO's clothes for the morning too. Put all the food in once place in the fridge so that you can grab it quickly, and keep the lunch cooler on the counter and ready to go. If you can, set your coffeemaker to go off at a certain time each morning. Try to simplify your own morning routine- can you get a simpler haircut that is easier to style or just throw your hair back somehow? Maybe go to the beauty counter at the dept. store and tell them you want a very quick and low-maintenance makeup/ skincare routine and see what they can come up with. If your DH is around, let him be in charge of the dog if you're doing dropoff.

We also put our dd in a playpen in the morning with some toys while we're getting ready so we don't have to chase her. She doesn't love it, but we've been doing it since she was a baby so she knows that's that routine and only fusses for a minute or two.

If you're making formula, the Dr. Brown's formula pitcher is a very quick way to make a day's worth of formula at once to pour off into bottles. If you have breastmilk, can you just send it in the freezer bags and let them thaw it and pour it off into bottles?

Does your daycare have hot lunch available? Also, in a pinch the individual Gerber meals, individual containers of canned fruit or applesauce, etc can be helpful. I didn't like to use these all the time, but when I was running late, really tired from work, etc they were a lifesaver.