Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
emconigs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth Control Free Mommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-of-QTs View Post
Okay, I looked into it some last night and some more this morning. Looks like the doctor checks you for the size you need, shows you how to insert it, and watches to make sure you know how to insert it and take it out. (that "watching" part might be a little weird). Anyway, I read that you insert it yourself before you have intercourse with spermicide. You need to wait 6 hours after the last time having intercourse to take it out. (if you have sex more than once you need to put more spermicide in). You are not supposed to leave it inside for more than 24 hours at a time. Sounds like this might be do able for us. My hubby didn't object so I think I'll ask my OB/GYN about this. Thanks to you that suggested it. I had heard of it but never looked into it because I thought it was another hormonal thing.
I had a diaphragm for a while. When I got fitted the doctor told me what to do, put it in, then left the room for me to take it out and put it back in by myself so he didn't stand there watching me. He then checked it when he came back in to see that I had gotten it in right. It was a little bit uncomfortable to do because this was at my 6 week postpartum check so I was still a bit sensitive. Overall it worked okay. DH had no idea it was in there. The thing I liked was that unlike condoms i could plan a bit ahead and have it in and ready to go a few hours before DTD. After I got more healed up though it didn't fit as well and became uncomfortable. It wasn't covered by my insurance so I didn't want to spend money on a different one. I think it was about $75 but not exactly sure.
I know you said you didn't want an IUD. I am not sure if you realize or not that there is one that uses copper and not hormones.

Advertisement

emconigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
b15chik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm just trying to figure out how you have time to have sex, lol
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

There is a film that I use. It is by the condoms in the store. You insert 10 minutes before sex...which takes the spontaneousness out of it...but so worth it!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The IUD issue could be that it doesn't actually prevent conception, just implantation. I would think that's why many object to using them.

Greengranny, from my iPhone app
Stacey, wife to Steve, Mom to 26yod, 24yod, 22yod, 20yos, Granny to 4 and #5 due 1/16
Step-mom to 28yoss & step-granny to 5, Caretaker of 2 dogs, 5 cats + Kool & the Gang (my roo and his "chicks")
Christian SAHM/Granny & Disney travel planner - hbirthed, b-fed, cd'd, co-slept, sel/delay vax, didn't circ
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b15chik
I'm with you... I mean its happened but not often since little miss thinks the only place she can sleep in on me. And when not sleeping she enjoys screaming...
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
mom-of-QTs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emconigs View Post
I had a diaphragm for a while. When I got fitted the doctor told me what to do, put it in, then left the room for me to take it out and put it back in by myself so he didn't stand there watching me. He then checked it when he came back in to see that I had gotten it in right. It was a little bit uncomfortable to do because this was at my 6 week postpartum check so I was still a bit sensitive. Overall it worked okay. DH had no idea it was in there. The thing I liked was that unlike condoms i could plan a bit ahead and have it in and ready to go a few hours before DTD. After I got more healed up though it didn't fit as well and became uncomfortable. It wasn't covered by my insurance so I didn't want to spend money on a different one. I think it was about $75 but not exactly sure.
I know you said you didn't want an IUD. I am not sure if you realize or not that there is one that uses copper and not hormones.
Thanks for the information!! A friend told me about Paraguard (the IUD with copper instead of hormones) but hubby said that was too much like hormones so he wouldn't consent. Thanks though.
mom-of-QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
mom-of-QTs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15chik View Post
LoL... 2am!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #18
b15chik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok well now i want to know how you have the energy or desire. hahahaha.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
mom-of-QTs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
ok well now i want to know how you have the energy or desire. hahahaha.
LoL... well, it is mostly hubby that wants it/me. I am usually too exhausted, frustrated, and sick of having people hang on me and touching me all the time (especially since I am breastfeeding). I am usually getting upset with him and telling him to leave me alone and not to touch me. HOWEVER, these last few days I've really been into hubby. Now I'm concerned as to whether I got myself pregnant this week or not. Seems I always get pregnant when I am REALLY into hubby. Our little 2am fun was without protecting.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Quote:
No kidding!! I feel badly but have NO desire at all. DH is getting the V on Tuesday, maybe that will help? I am always super paranoid about getting pregnant after having a baby. Its been almost 9 weeks....

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote