Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doula question ???? $$$$ ????

i paid around $400-$550 for mine. we live near chicago.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

hey I have a friend who lives in Bradford who is a doula and charges way less than that - I'm not sure how much but for sure way less than $900 bucks. I can personally recommend her as an amazing birth advocate. If you want her contact info PM me and I'll get her contact info to you.
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
dds07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did extensive research into the doulas in my area and lowest was $650, highest $1200. In training= $300.
Meggan, wife to Loren, mommy to Kate born 9.7.07, #2 Due in Feb 2012
dds07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I paid $300 for her pre-birth class and $300 for her services at our birth.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandeeTheGreat View Post
I am a doula and although I don't charge that much I don't think it is ridiculous at all. We go on call for you for at least a couple weeks before your due date and until you have the baby. Which is a big sacrifice. Especially to doulas who have families/young children. We are available to you at the drop of a hat. We dont go out of town. We can miss family functions/holidays/our child's birthday. We offer constant emotional and informational support by call/email/text. We then come and support you and your partner during labor, the birth and postpartum. (over 24 hours of work sometimes) You have to think about all of that plus gas, childcare (it can be expensive to get on call childcare) and other expenses. Most doulas end up making little profit or none at all and it is hard work! I think that we are worth it and most women find that our help was priceless. Just some things to think about. Also if affording a doula is really hard for you, there are many doulas who work on a sliding scale or are student doulas (not yet certified) that offer their services for free or basically nothing. We want to help and support you...we don't do this job for the money! Checkout doulamatch.net it lists doulas in your area and their fees. If you do hire a doula and no matter what you pay, I hope you find that she was worth it and valuable to your birthing experience.

The childcare issue is why I'm not practicing right now. On call childcare is hard to find and you pay through the nose!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
seacat
Registered Users
seller

With DS I paid $600.00 and she was fairly inexperienced. I am using the same doula for #2 and it has been 2 years and she has attended 50+ births and acquired more certifications so, her going rate is now $1000.00. However, I got a friend/repeat client rate of $775.00 for this one.

We live in Seattle and everything is expensive. I will say however, I felt like I was cheating her for $600.00 my first labor because it was 24+, I was two weeks over due and the only thing that helped my back labor was her rubbing my back for almost a day straight. We joked that if she had broken it down by the hour I would have been paying her less than minimum wage and I tied up her life for two weeks.

BTW the BEST $$$ I have ever spent she saved my from having a CS.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandeeTheGreat
I am a doula and although I don't charge that much I don't think it is ridiculous at all. We go on call for you for at least a couple weeks before your due date and until you have the baby. Which is a big sacrifice. Especially to doulas who have families/young children. We are available to you at the drop of a hat. We dont go out of town. We can miss family functions/holidays/our child's birthday. We offer constant emotional and informational support by call/email/text. We then come and support you and your partner during labor, the birth and postpartum. (over 24 hours of work sometimes) You have to think about all of that plus gas, childcare (it can be expensive to get on call childcare) and other expenses. Most doulas end up making little profit or none at all and it is hard work! I think that we are worth it and most women find that our help was priceless. Just some things to think about. Also if affording a doula is really hard for you, there are many doulas who work on a sliding scale or are student doulas (not yet certified) that offer their services for free or basically nothing. We want to help and support you...we don't do this job for the money! Checkout doulamatch.net it lists doulas in your area and their fees. If you do hire a doula and no matter what you pay, I hope you find that she was worth it and valuable to your birthing experience.
Very well put!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandeeTheGreat View Post
I don't deny that it is might be worth it. We simply just can't afford it. That's all there is to it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

My doula is $200. She's still in training. Most around here are at least $1000.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My doula for my first birth was $400. My doula for this birth is $500, and I get an hour long prenatal massage included! I feel like I'm getting a steal!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
, ,
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote