Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Doula question ???? $$$$ ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89 View Post
I don't deny that it is might be worth it. We simply just can't afford it. That's all there is to it.
Ditto.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
MandeeTheGreat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89 View Post
I don't deny that it is might be worth it. We simply just can't afford it. That's all there is to it.
I know its hard. Hopefully all insurance companies will start covering the cost. It makes no sense why they do not currently. Having a doula reduces the risk of many interventions that end up costing these companies even more money!
12/16/10 & Cesilee 12/29/11
Born Preemie @ 35 weeks, Check the Blog and shop ZULILY

Last edited by MandeeTheGreat; 10-13-2011 at 06:30 PM.
MandeeTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
MBFL
Registered Users

My Mood:

My doula told me that some insurances do cover some of the cost. Also, you can use medical flex spending account monies to cover doula expenses. I don't know much more than that because we have used up our flex spending so I didn't look into it, she just mentioned it at our first meeting.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #24
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I paid $600 or $800, I don't remember which. I don't feel I got my $ worth though, as the doula was not with me throughout my labour, she only came once we got to the hospital (I laboured at home alone for 4 days, and while I didn't expect her to live there for a week, it would have been nice to have her stop in for a few hours every day to check on me and guide me. I wasn't eating, drinking or sleeping because I was so excited and wanted to concentrate solely on contractions... Naive first timer that I was...). I don't remember her doing much at the hospital either, other than offering me a drink or energy bar now and then and telling me I was doing fine, which was the same thing DH was doing and that I am still angry at him for all these years later LOL I thought she'd be my buffer against the hospital staff, but nope.

Anyway, I think doulas can be great, and I think $900 could be acceptable... BUT it depends on the doula. Definitely talk to past clients, if you can, or go on recommendations.

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #25
cupcakedarling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

va- 450
cupcakedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #26
malaynasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We paid $500 for ours 3.5 years ago. $900 does seem like a lot! A lot of doulas are willing to work with you on a sliding scale based on your income or what you can afford. Maybe shop around and see if you can find one in your area hat does that
Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #27
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doula gave me a student rate since I was a VBAC and she had not had a vbac at that time. She usually charged 650 I think. She was wonderful. We had 3 meetings before the birth and we talked about my wishes, she also a rieki certified so did that with me and foot masage as we chatted. My labor was 7 full days long and we communicated the entire time and she would have come at the drop of a hat if I needed her. She did come within 45 minutes of my water breaking to my house, we drove her suv to the hospital as we only have a car and her vehicle was bigger. She stayed with me in the back oh her suv for the ride as my dh drove and hey...she even offer ver vehicle up for dd to be born in.....she was a proud doula to have had my littlw sweetie born there. We are still friend and chat when we can and get our children together. She also did my placenta encapsulation.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It varies widely by region! Ours with DD was $600. We just hired her again and is going to charge us the same. But I think she's up to $700-800 now. Others in my area range anywhere from $700-$1200. To me: worth.every.penny

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In Kansas...our doula charges $450 or $500 (I can't remember) but the OBGYN group that our doctor is through pays $150 of that as they have discovered the amazing usefulness of the doulas in that group and love encouraging their patients to work with them. It's a group of doulas and you pick one but the others act as a back up if your doula becomes unavailable (illness or 2 clients in labor at the same time, etc). You get to meet and get to know all the doulas and they offer 2-4 classes a month on different topics such as postpartum plans, relaxation, infant massage, nutrition, etc included in the original cost. They are available via text, email, etc unlimited plus a "birth plan" meeting, the length of labor plus 2 hours and 2 follow up visits once the baby is born. Fortunately my doula and doctor have worked together for a few years and they have a solid rhythm. From talking to some of the other women who have used the same OBGYN group and doula group, the $300-$350 is soooooo worth it! I hope you can find someone you love that is affordable!
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

In NYC, $900 is a bargain. The range seems to be $1000-2200 here. You might be able to get a newbie for less, but the well known ones were charging around $2000, 3 years ago.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote