Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Sakari
Registered Users

Las Vegas anyone??!

My hubby and I are looking to relocate... what can you tell me about the Las Vegas area? What about the birth scene? I'm an actor and doula (independently of each other!) and would love to be able to start my own business/es in either one of these areas. I'm sure actors are a dime a dozen there though! lol What about birth professionals? and what's the birth vibe like there? (if that made any sense. it's late!!)

What else can you tell me about Las Vegas?!?! I am very curious! Thank you so much!!

Advertisement

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Las Vegas anyone??!

Just saw this. I'm afraid we Las Vegans don't check into this part of the board very often, though you will see several of us around in other places.

Schools in Las Vegas are terrible. Nevada is rated 49th, I believe, in the nation. There are other options -- charter, private, and homeschooling. There are several large, active homeschool groups, so if you homeschool, there are a lot of opportunities for co-ops and field trips and whatnot. There are a lot of foreclosed homes, so you can get a good home in a good neighborhood right now for not a lot of money.

As for the birth scene, I know a lot of moms that advocate homebirths, and doing things naturally. There is a place here called Pinkpeas (they are on Facebook, or you could Google them) you might be interested in checking out. I don't know the logistics of being a doula here, though I know there are some in the area, and I don't think you would have a problem finding ladies interested in your services.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
silver333angel
Registered Users
seller

There is also well rounded momma for a home birth resource.
silver333angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
L&L
Registered Users
seller

Well Rounded Momma is awesome! I to go there for resources, momma's milk circle, and to see our midwife, April. We live in Boulder City - just over the hill from Vegas towards the Hoover Dam. Schools in the Clark County School District vary greatly, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the programs and teachers here in Boulder City.

Home prices are low in Vegas and Henderson - great opportunity to buy a larger home on the cheap. BC is different, historic 800sqft homes can go for 250k. But each community (GV, Henderson, N Las Vegas, SW Las Vegas, Summerlin, etc) has various recreational/family friendly activities, festivals, and more. In BC, we have something going on every month and the town is VERY family friendly.
L&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I currently live in Vegas, and no offense, but I HATE IT. I dislike the weather, the schools are awful--as PP said Nevada is 49th in the Nation. Having lived in many other states I can say the education system here is really subpar, and the class sizes are outrageous. My DD had 37 kids in her half day Kindergarten class last year.

Las Vegaas is #1 in the nation for the amount of homes underwater, and even though home prices have tanked they are still more than the last 3 states I have lived in and you get no yard because nothing grows.

We are desperatly hoping to relocate away from here next year.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
mikerenea55
Registered Users
seller

We just moved here and love it . However we came from hillbilly town, USA, and I refuse to let my kids grow up in a world as sheltered as I did. Schools aren't great, but there are a TON of other opportunities to learn
mikerenea55 is offline   Reply With Quote