Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:
scheduled c-sections - when do they sched you?

After doing a bit of research i'm pretty sure I'm up for a repeat c-section. The last one was an emergency, so I'm curious for planned c-sections, when do they schedule you?

Would they let you go into labor naturally & then do the c-section when you arrive?

Will they let you go to or past your due date?

If they do it before the due-date, how soon before?

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: scheduled c-sections - when do they sched you?

I have had 4. The last three were schedule 3 months before hand. #2 was at around 38weeks. #3 was 36 weeks, moved up due to toxemia, #4 was 39.5weeks due to my stubborn resolve not to have one earlier. They do not wait for you to go into labor.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
CamsMama
Registered Users
seller

I just got my c-section date at my last appointment, when I was 33 1/2 weeks along. They won't allow me to go into labor, so they scheduled it for when I'm 38 1/2 weeks.
CamsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
OnlyaMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah for repeats, they do not give you chance to go in labor. My first was schelded at 18 weeks and the last one was at 39 weeks. Good luck, sections are tough!

To the pp, you had 4? Were they harder each time? My second section seemed worse than my first.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

In my case, I had a planned section after having an unexpected section with the baby prior. It was considered a "scheduled" section and the doctor's office scheduled it in July...the section date was December 17th, my due date was December 25th. If you are having a planned, scheduled section which you have discussed with your doctor beforehand they will not let you go until you are in labor and then do the section, they won't let you go over either. My doctor likes to schedule them for one week before your due date. If you should go into labor before your "scheduled" date, then they'll admit you and instead of take you to the labor/delivery floor, you'll go to the OR floor where you'll be preped and readied for surgery.

Did you discuss with your OB? The second "planned" section was so much easier than the first one! LOL!
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not pregnant yet, I just like to know what is likely to happen. (I have to wait until July for a dye test that will give us the go/no go to start ttc again). I'm really glad to hear the second c-section is easier than the first, that was really difficult to get thru
the recovery!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyaMommy
Yeah for repeats, they do not give you chance to go in labor. My first was schelded at 18 weeks and the last one was at 39 weeks. Good luck, sections are tough!

To the pp, you had 4? Were they harder each time? My second section seemed worse than my first.
Nope. Really. I just try so hard to get out ASAP that I wouldn't complain if every stitch tore, lol! My goal was always no pain meds & out the next day. I have a high pain tolerance though, so maybe it's just me.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
childers521
Registered Users

My first section (dd) wasn't scheduled, it started as an induction but we did schedule the next 2. The next one (ds1) was scheduled the day before. I had gone into early labor, several weeks prior, but nothing happened with it, and then they decided the baby was too big - he was right - they guess around 8 lbs, he was actually 10lb 9 oz. The last one, (ds2) was scheduled about 6 weeks in advance (Chrysler had to schedule a class around our baby, LOL) but then he didn't feel like waiting that long, I went into labor in the 16th and had him early a.m. on the 17th - he was scheduled for the18th. My OB didn't even let me try, as soon as they determined I was actually in labor, they started prepping me for a section.

And, in my experience, my recovery from the 3rd one was by far the easiest.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there a reason you assume you'll have to schedule a C? Is VBAC totally out of the question for you? My first c/s wasn't scheduled (induction @ 42wks, and I eventually gave into the cascade of interventions that ultimately led to the C). My second was supposed to be a VBAC, but when I hadn't gone into labor by 41wks, they scheduled me a couple days later. They don't want you to go into labor actually, and if you do they'll give you drugs to stop it before the surgery. That was one of the worst parts w/ my first c/s. Made me shake uncontrollably for a couple hours. My second c/s was MUCH easier than the first. I've been told that's because I labored (hard. pitocin hard) for 14hrs before having the C the first time, and the muscles were fatigued then cut. I took myself off the heavy drugs w/in 4 days of the 2nd C, it took me two weeks w/ the first. That was a HUGE concern for me as I saw the effect the drugs had on my breastfeeding newborn.

I plan on lying about my LMC if I get prego again. I seem to be a long gestator (sp) and I don't want pressure to schedule before a good 40 wks. I did have my OB do a double layer suture to better prevent the chance of future uterine rupture. I'm not interested in a doctor trying to tell me how many kids I can and can't have because of prior Cs. It's just a little extra reinforcement for me. I'm almost certainly out of luck attempting another VBAC since I have never given birth vaginally. VBAC docs are rare to begin with.

Good Luck!
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think different OBs have different preferences. I would say to delay it as long as possible if you can. One of my cousins just had a scheduled C-section because her baby was breech. They moved the date back twice (and they were *SURE* about her dates). They wound up doing it at 39 weeks but the baby weighed just under 4 pounds and her lungs were not fully formed. I don't know if someone screwed up the dates or if she just needed longer to cook (what, you mean a baby might not be ready at exactly 40 weeks? ) All I know is that her mommy sure wishes they had left her alone a little longer! My SIL had an emergency C-section with her first and it was a nasty situation. They wound up cutting her criss-crossed...from breast bone to pubic bone and across! Her doc won't even talk to her about VBAC now. They calculated her due date as 10/28 but they told her they can schedule the C-section anytime after 10/9...so that's what...37 weeks? Because of the problems surrounding her last pregnancy there is a lot of anxiety associated with this one so she and her dh decided to do the CS as early as possible...I'm not going to get involved but I hope they reconsider between now and then and give this precious baby as much time as possible to get ready.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote