Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Mastitis AGAIN

It started last night. Is there anything I can do to nip this in the bud and avoid antibiotics?
I have no idea why I have it again. I had it a month ago because we were moving and she was getting quite a few bottles of pumped milk. I never had it with my first baby. What gives

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
GLAZmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mastitis AGAIN

Take lots of fresh garlic! I used to cut them up like little "pills" and swallow them. That and getting our the clog ASAP I had it all the time when my lo was younger.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm having my husband pick up some garlic after work and warned him that I may be a little smelly lol. Large amounts of raw garlic won't make my milk taste funky? I'm trying to nap when the baby does today (she doesn't take great naps and I have a 4 yo so it is a little difficult), drink at least a glass of water every hour, and using warm compresses. I'm trying to be careful to not let it get serious but I really don't want another doctor bill and 10 days of antibiotics. Last time they made DD constipated for quite some time
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep - garlic works WONDERS! As long as you don't feel super letharic and flu like I'd say go for it. If you feel really ill and your breasts are really rashy and swollen I'd think you'd need antibiotics. I got mastitis twice, and the second time it went away on its own. Make sure you are emptying each breast completely when you nurse. If you're unsure, you can pump after your child nurses. HTH
Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! I do feel run down but no fever or anything. It just started last night when DD woke up to nurse and it was painful. I thought it was her latch until I noticed the sore spot on my breast.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I used garlic and Grapefruit seed extract in the past, however, I missed a plugged duct under my arm and was(am) seriously ill. Watch warning signs, if you start feeling overly tired/nauseas it may be worth the antibiotics.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How much garlic do I need to take in order for it to be effective? & how often?

So far so good. I was able to lay down with my baby for a couple hours. I didn't sleep because my 4 year old came in my bedroom about 15 times, but I at least rested. When she woke up, she ate on the effected side and it wasn't nearly as painful and I don't feel as run down. The soreness has not spread so hopefully things improve.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

the same exact thing happened with me with dd 1. i got it early on and then again a month later! i took antibiotics both times because i couldn't handle how badly i felt and having to care for a newborn. i wanted it to go away asap! praying i don't get it this go round....be on the lookout for yeast rash though. my dd had a bad yeast rash and it took me forever to figure out that was what it was and not how i was cleaning my diapers.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
mom-of-QTs
Registered Users
seller

Nurse nurse nurse! Mastitis won't hurt the baby at all. Also, you can rub peppermint oil onto your breasts. It promotes blood stimulation and you feel it immediately after putting the oil on and you will instantely start feeling better. Peppermint oil is very strong so you want to let it dry, or wipe it off, before baby nurses so it doesn't burn baby's eyes. Best thing would be to nurse baby, then put the oil onto your breast so there will be a couple of hours for it to absorb before baby eats again.

I got clogged ducts this time because baby was in NICU and I was pumping from day 1. HORRIBLE pain... I endured it for a week and finally I got my hands on some peppermint oil. Put the oil on and immediately started feeling better, hubby thought I smelled minty too.... LoL... For days I had been in pain and my breast SO HARD. 12 hours after rubbing peppermint oil onto my breast they were soft, no longer inflamed, and didn't hurt anymore.
Also, hot compresses and/or shower helps.
mom-of-QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you I happen to have some peppermint oil on hand so I'm going to try that now!