Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ds is 8 months. No formula just breast. Very happy baby. Never really even fusses.

Since around 5.5m he has had jars of sweet potatoes, apples, sweet carrots, pears, and bananas. He has done fine with all those and loves eating.

But every single time we give him baby oatmeal (it is Earths Best brand) about 5 or so hours after eating it he starts crying. Truly uncontrollably for around 3 hours straight. Not exaggerating at all. Nothing makes him stop. I think he is getting really gassy. We tried the infant gas medicine and it does not help. So we stopped giving oatmeal to him.

Yesterday we gave him those Gerber puffs for the first time. He loved them. A few hours later the screaming started......

Could he be allergic to something in the oatmeal and puffs? I know absolutely nothing about allergies. Any thoughts or ideas?

Advertisement

Last edited by jes750; 03-17-2013 at 06:08 AM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Do they have gluten? Rashes? Do you guys have alleries to foods? Could be gas.... ibs (irritable bowel)?
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
Do they have gluten? Rashes? Do you guys have alleries to foods? Could be gas.... ibs (irritable bowel)?
Dh, myself, and our other two boys don't have allergys. Baby hasn't had any rash. I really don't know anything about gluten or ibs. How do I know if they contain gluten?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mackenna screamed and/or puked every time we gave her puffs. Have her s saltine and she got hives, puked and screamed so we cut all gluten from our diets(breast fed) two weeks later she was a brand new baby

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386
Mackenna screamed and/or puked every time we gave her puffs. Have her s saltine and she got hives, puked and screamed so we cut all gluten from our diets(breast fed) two weeks later she was a brand new baby

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
He doesn't puke. He doesn't seem to be affected by anything I eat. When he does get eat those 2 items he seems fine for around 5 hours then starts crying for around 3 hours
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Allergys??

To see if they have gluten just read the label. And yes, they contain gluten (wheat). I just read the labels as I have them sitting next to me at the moment. I would avoid gluten in his foods. Sounds like he is sensitive, but not allergic.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
To see if they have gluten just read the label. And yes, they contain gluten (wheat). I just read the labels as I have them sitting next to me at the moment. I would avoid gluten in his foods. Sounds like he is sensitive, but not allergic.
Thanks for checking!
Ok so gluten is listed as wheat on labels? Sorry, totally don't know...
Is this something they usually grow out of? What's the difference between sensitive and allergic?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Thanks for checking!
Ok so gluten is listed as wheat on labels? Sorry, totally don't know...
Is this something they usually grow out of? What's the difference between sensitive and allergic?
Yes the container will say that it contains wheat. A sensitivity means in larger amounts he will react verses an allergy he would even react to it in your milk. Usually with an allergy you also see a rash when they eat it not just the gas.

Only time will tell if he will out grown it. I still get bloated from wheat but can eat it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Gluten is wheat and other grains like rye and barley. Oats which are not gluten but can cause issues due to them being processed on the same machines (cross contaminated). Gluten allergy (aka Celiacs) doesn't always cause rashes. It can cause bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea/constipation, etc.

Celiacs is not something you can outgrow. Continuing to eat wheat will cause damage to to the intestines, malnutrition, etc. Only a doctor can diagnose if it is a wheat allergy/Celiacs. (Blood tests)

How does your child do on other gluten products like bread, crackers, barley?

It might just be that they have really bad gas from certain food. If it is just gas, they will outgrow it. Sensitivity is a hard time processing something but not a true allergy. Allergy is an immune response. I would avoid foods that you know trigger the upset tummy.

I suggest talking to your pediatrician. If you notice this occurring more often, start a food/ poop journal for your child. What is eaten, when, what color & consistency are the poops. A food journal might narrow things down & help the doctors to diagnose the problem. Good Luck!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Gluten is wheat and other grains like rye and barley. Oats which are not gluten but can cause issues due to them being processed on the same machines (cross contaminated). Gluten allergy (aka Celiacs) doesn't always cause rashes. It can cause bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea/constipation, etc.

Celiacs is not something you can outgrow. Continuing to eat wheat will cause damage to to the intestines, malnutrition, etc. Only a doctor can diagnose if it is a wheat allergy/Celiacs. (Blood tests)

How does your child do on other gluten products like bread, crackers, barley?

It might just be that they have really bad gas from certain food. If it is just gas, they will outgrow it. Sensitivity is a hard time processing something but not a true allergy. Allergy is an immune response. I would avoid foods that you know trigger the upset tummy.

I suggest talking to your pediatrician. If you notice this occurring more often, start a food/ poop journal for your child. What is eaten, when, what color & consistency are the poops. A food journal might narrow things down & help the doctors to diagnose the problem. Good Luck!
Very helpful. Thanks!

He hasn't had any other gluten products yet. Just the puffs and baby oatmeal. (He is just 8m) He hasn't had diarrhea or constipation. It's just odd to me that its always approx 5 hours after he has those items and then from then its about 3 hours of uncontrollable crying. He does have some gas during that time. Does that sound typical of a gluten issue?