Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
WindchimeMom
Registered Users

Washing Alva Baby's

Hey ladies, I finally ordered some Alva Baby's today after getting fed up with disposables. The absorbent crystals have been getting all over my daughter and one actually...blew up? I guess you could say when SO tried fanning her butt during a diaper change. Thoroughly grossed out and mad so from here on out, we're a CD family. That being decided, I've been trying to find out how many times you have to prewash them before the first use. I also was looking up a good detergent for our hard water and found this recipe on diaperjungle.com:

Ingredients required:
1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap (Fels Naptha soap is not available in all areas, it may be substituted with Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars.)
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

Directions:
1. Grate about 2/3 of the Fels Naptha soap bar with a cheese grater. (Yields about 1 Cup)
2. Add the Borax and washing soda to the grated soap.
3. Shake well.

For light load, use 1 tablespoon.
For a heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons.

Has anyone used this before that can vouch for it's effectiveness? I'm sooooo excited to get my first fluffy mail, especially since the prints are so cute.

Advertisement

Last edited by WindchimeMom; 10-13-2011 at 10:28 PM.
WindchimeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Washing Alva Baby's

You can use regular detergent on your CDs. In fact it may be better. Many start off with the so called cloth safe detergents then get stinkies and end up switching to a store brand. So my rec is to just use a store brand or whatever you use for your other laundry as long as it doesn't have fabric softener in it. As far as prepping. If they are not bamboo, the just one wash and dry and they are ready. If they are the Alva bamboo, I'd wash 2-3 times. They'll get more absorbent after more washes.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpkin View Post
You can use regular detergent on your CDs. In fact it may be better. Many start off with the so called cloth safe detergents then get stinkies and end up switching to a store brand. So my rec is to just use a store brand or whatever you use for your other laundry as long as it doesn't have fabric softener in it. As far as prepping. If they are not bamboo, the just one wash and dry and they are ready. If they are the Alva bamboo, I'd wash 2-3 times. They'll get more absorbent after more washes.
Agree with all of this! Perfect advice! I just want to add that some mamas (including me) have had Alvas delaminate after washing on hot. Alva recommends washing on warm. I wash the bamboo inserts on hot and dry on medium. I wash the pockets on warm and hang dry. You're going to love them!! They are darling and trim. I currently have 8 but have about 20 on the way. They're great diapers!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else. I am still a newbie and i started using Rockin Green. I also have hard water and man did i have a terrible case of stinkies! I now use ultra tide powder (i would say stick with powdered detergents as they rinse easier) and now no more stinkies!

i have to buy some alvas! everyone makes me want them!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
tpb2930
Registered Users
seller

I ordered 5 just to test them, now I want more!! I love them!
tpb2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
WindchimeMom
Registered Users

Are the bamboo inserts really absorbent? I know Sophie can handle the microfiber ones during the day but at night she sometimes sleeps for 10 hours straight, so looking for either prefolds or some super absorbent inserts to use.

El's Mama, we don't have a dryer so we just line dry everything, I'm SO glad to hear it's good for the diapers.

nbert921, everywhere I looked online there were good reviews for Alva Baby so you should! Especially with the awesome prices I've seen on their site.
WindchimeMom is offline   Reply With Quote