Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone planning on using mama cloth?

I'm trying to figure out how many I'm going to need and what to get. I'm just so darn confused.
I tried mama cloth for one cycle and then I got pregnant! So I don't have a whole lot of experience with it.

So far I have 4 postpartum pampered mama cloth and 1 set of the knicker knappies stackable pads. I liked the knicker knappies stackable pads when I tried them so I think I will try to get a few more liners for those. I tried sckoons and just didn't like them at all.

I'm also thinking about getting some gladrags. They have really good reviews, plus I just like the look of them. Their shaped a lot like the disposable pads, but their cloth so that leads me to think I might like them since I'm used to the disposables. But just like cloth diapering I don't want to get a bunch of one thing and hate it. Plus it's cheaper and easier to go with one thing but then again IDK.

Also should mention that I don't like microfiber and such in my diapers so I figured I probably wouldn't like it for my pads either. Does that make sense? I should probably figure in how often I'll be washing them as well.
So how many postpartum/overnight pads should I get?
How many day time?
How many panty liners?

With my first son the postpartum bleeding wasn't much more than a period, just lasted longer(about 2 weeks, and then just light bleeding for another 4-6 weeks). I didn't have the pain and cramps that go along with a period either though so It wasn't a big deal to me. I also want them to be comfortable and not awkward feeling. What brands do you like/recommend?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone planning on using mama cloth?

I am getting me a big ol box of depends, then regular flow mama cloth when I run out.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really like Party in my Pants pads, they are expensive but so nice! They are my favorite. Another good affordable brand is Megaroo (plan on getting a few postpartum from her eventually) and Amy's Rag Bag is really really affordable. Not my fave for out in about, but great when in the house and overnight.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad Rags may have changed their design in the past year, but my glad rags are used as a last resort. My favorite are bamboo velour with wool backing. The wool breathes much better than fleece which is important for me as we want to move to a tropical climate.

My period is light and lasts 5 days, so I only have need for 2 overnight, a couple heavy pads, some medium but mostly liners. Really it depends on your cycle. Do you remember how many you would use and the type you used? What I did is figure our how many I need until I do laundry & dry time and add a couple more just in case. I also love love love my Sea Pearls if you want a tampon-like option.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
Glad Rags may have changed their design in the past year, but my glad rags are used as a last resort. My favorite are bamboo velour with wool backing. The wool breathes much better than fleece which is important for me as we want to move to a tropical climate.

My period is light and lasts 5 days, so I only have need for 2 overnight, a couple heavy pads, some medium but mostly liners. Really it depends on your cycle. Do you remember how many you would use and the type you used? What I did is figure our how many I need until I do laundry & dry time and add a couple more just in case. I also love love love my Sea Pearls if you want a tampon-like option.
I use to like the kotex brand. I've had so few periods in the last 2 years though cause I've been pregnant, then breast feeding and now pregnant again. I really have no idea what I like except for the knicker knappies I liked best of what I've tried. Can you explain to me the differences in pul backed, fleece backed, wool backed? What didn't you like about the glad rags? What other brands did you try and which one's did you like. Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so confused and it's harder to make these decisions. If I get something I don't like I think it will be harder to sell and just a pain in the but.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmartin View Post
I use to like the kotex brand. I've had so few periods in the last 2 years though cause I've been pregnant, then breast feeding and now pregnant again. I really have no idea what I like except for the knicker knappies I liked best of what I've tried. Can you explain to me the differences in pul backed, fleece backed, wool backed? What didn't you like about the glad rags? What other brands did you try and which one's did you like. Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so confused and it's harder to make these decisions. If I get something I don't like I think it will be harder to sell and just a pain in the but.
Glad rags I don't like b/c you have to stuff them, has a poor stuffing design, they're overpriced and ugly They also do not have any backing for protection. The only thing is I do use the insert as a liner.

I haven't used pul backed but the differences are very similar to why you would choose what cover to use for your babies. Pul and fleece are cheaper options though I see mostly fleece on the DS market. Not many DS mamas do wool backed as they are more expensive. Personally I find that wool breathes better for both my babies in diapers and me in mama cloth. Fleece just makes me feel all hot and uncomfortable.

Here are some that I like made by DS mamas
http://hyenacart.com/stores/PamperedMama/
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1157357
http://hyenacart.com/stores/MotherMoonPads/

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Glad rags I don't like b/c you have to stuff them, has a poor stuffing design, they're overpriced and ugly They also do not have any backing for protection. The only thing is I do use the insert as a liner.

I haven't used pul backed but the differences are very similar to why you would choose what cover to use for your babies. Pul and fleece are cheaper options though I see mostly fleece on the DS market. Not many DS mamas do wool backed as they are more expensive. Personally I find that wool breathes better for both my babies in diapers and me in mama cloth. Fleece just makes me feel all hot and uncomfortable.

Here are some that I like made by DS mamas
http://hyenacart.com/stores/PamperedMama/
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1157357
http://hyenacart.com/stores/MotherMoonPads/

So what if you go with out backing? Does it make a lot of difference? Also what helped you make your decision on what you liked? I have some of the pampered mama postpartum and I love the way they fit and also how soft they are. I was thinking about getting some more of them in different sizes. But of course I haven't actually used them for their intended purpose so I don't know if I won't like them after I've used them for a while. I mostly want them to be comfortable and to fit my body well.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I were you I'd get a variety and decide when you start using them before you buy all the ones you need, as it is an expense.

Some of mine without backing for the liners I only use when spotting. I wouldn't use mama cloth without backing on heavier days as the wool does still absorb some and both wool & fleece will protect your panties. Again it's like diapering... If baby is home and laying on a fleece blanket, no need to put on a cover but if you're out all day and baby in the car seat, you want a cover for protection. Same thing with mama cloth. If you're busy all day and may not have access to a bathroom whenever you need, you want a good backing. If you're home all day and don't mind the extra trips to double check it's not going through the pad, then no backing isn't a big deal.

Why I chose the pads I use:
~I like the bamboo because of the health benefits like anti-bacterial and moving to a tropical climate where I may or may not have access to things like hot water and soap, washer/dryer, every month are very important to me.
~Wool has same benefits and breathes better than fleece and so the cost difference is worth it to me.
~I also do not buy heavy pads, except for my 2 overnight pads, because in a tropical climate they can stay damp for months... yes months in wet season ick. So if you're into line drying, you may also want to consider regular pads, not heavy as they take longer to dry.
~I've heard of some mamas using infant prefolds for postpartum and I may do that as you can get them $1-2 a piece.
~Bamboo velour is really soft and some great colors
~My preference is the hourglass shape and petite, which means shorter than regular. You can also get long or wider than normal if you prefer. I have liners that are no hourglass shaped, but kind of diamond shaped when laying flat. When they wrap around panties they become really bulky.
~If you look on pampered mama, you can see that there are two separate 'levels'. There's the backing that the snaps are attached to and wraps around the panties. This is a preference to me as when the top level of material goes all the wall to the snaps, it makes for an unnecessarily bulkier pad.

*I have minky pads, which I don't like for the same reason as fleece. They may be incredibly soft but they're thick and hot.
*I don't like pul, I didn't use it for baby and I wouldn't use it either because of lack of air flow. But if added protection is more valuable to you, then pul is another backing option

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12

Last edited by SeaChellsRun; 10-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
If I were you I'd get a variety and decide when you start using them before you buy all the ones you need, as it is an expense.

Some of mine without backing for the liners I only use when spotting. I wouldn't use mama cloth without backing on heavier days as the wool does still absorb some and both wool & fleece will protect your panties. Again it's like diapering... If baby is home and laying on a fleece blanket, no need to put on a cover but if you're out all day and baby in the car seat, you want a cover for protection. Same thing with mama cloth. If you're busy all day and may not have access to a bathroom whenever you need, you want a good backing. If you're home all day and don't mind the extra trips to double check it's not going through the pad, then no backing isn't a big deal.

Why I chose the pads I use:
~I like the bamboo because of the health benefits like anti-bacterial and moving to a tropical climate where I may or may not have access to things like hot water and soap, washer/dryer, every month are very important to me.
~Wool has same benefits and breathes better than fleece and so the cost difference is worth it to me.
~I also do not buy heavy pads, except for my 2 overnight pads, because in a tropical climate they can stay damp for months... yes months in wet season ick. So if you're into line drying, you may also want to consider regular pads, not heavy as they take longer to dry.
~I've heard of some mamas using infant prefolds for postpartum and I may do that as you can get them $1-2 a piece.
~Bamboo velour is really soft and some great colors
~My preference is the hourglass shape and petite, which means shorter than regular. You can also get long or wider than normal if you prefer. I have liners that are no hourglass shaped, but kind of diamond shaped when laying flat. When they wrap around panties they become really bulky.
~If you look on pampered mama, you can see that there are two separate 'levels'. There's the backing that the snaps are attached to and wraps around the panties. This is a preference to me as when the top level of material goes all the wall to the snaps, it makes for an unnecessarily bulkier pad.

*I have minky pads, which I don't like for the same reason as fleece. They may be incredibly soft but they're thick and hot.
*I don't like pul, I didn't use it for baby and I wouldn't use it either because of lack of air flow. But if added protection is more valuable to you, then pul is another backing option

All I can say is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I have a much better idea now of what I want and It's nice to talk to someone who has some experience with them. I feel so much better knowing about all the options out there. I think I'm going to get a few more pampered mama and maybe a few other brands that are similiar to those just so I have some variety.

What you said about the pampered mamas. I think that's what I like about them too. I just don't care for the bulky feeling. Again thank you so much mama. I feel a lot less confused and overwhelmed now!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

DDC-
I am planning on using MC, but I'm making mine as I run a Hyena Cart for them LOL
I figure a dozen PP/ON pads will work for me. I've already got a few, and I have enough regular flow and liners that I am not worried about them. I do laundry often enough that running low shouldn't be an issue...
You might consider making your own if you want to keep the cost down (or use prefolds as PPs have said), or look into the brands sold here on DS as there is a lot of variety in materials and shapes

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote