Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What are people thinking??

I can not believe how many people I see who do not have their kids in appropriate seats for their age/weight in cars and how many idiots let their kids under 12 sit in the passenger seat.

Just this Tues I was picking up my 7 year old from her after school activity and a classmate who is her age and her 5 year old brother climbed into a 2 seat convertible and shared the passenger seat.....neither of them has a seatbelt on.

Seriously! What are these parents thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: What are people thinking??

I don't know but I'd never let my kid ride with them. Uggg. Maybe it was an emergency/no other car available but still.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just yesterday we ran into a friend of my daughter and her father and she is 7 and was sitting in the front seat and telling my daughter how 'cool' it is. DH and i them told her that its not 'cool' and will not be happening in our car!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
loveramongstars
Registered Users

It bothers me when people get in my car and complain about putting on their seatbelt. It's been a rule in our house. The problem is that when I was growing up, there were no booster seats or laws for where kids sat when I was growing up. Parents need to be re-educated for new rules.

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveramongstars View Post
It bothers me when people get in my car and complain about putting on their seatbelt. It's been a rule in our house. The problem is that when I was growing up, there were no booster seats or laws for where kids sat when I was growing up. Parents need to be re-educated for new rules.
Yeah, I can see that for the new APA recommendation for ERF'ing until at least 2 and in a booster until 8 AND 80lbs. BUT, they should know that a child under 12 should not be sitting in the front seat.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Yeah, I can see that for the new APA recommendation for ERF'ing until at least 2 and in a booster until 8 AND 80lbs. BUT, they should know that a child under 12 should not be sitting in the front seat.
Like PP mentioned you need to re-educate! That is a new rule to.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I saw a parent today picking up a child at my DD's school. The kid was probably about 7 and climbed into the front seat and sat on a no back booster (in the front passenger seat). Okay, he had a booster and wore a seatbelt, but wow!

It was a sedan and from what I could tell there was nobody riding in the backseat at all. I'm not an expert on carseat safety but I couldn't imagine letting my kids sit in the front until they are well over 12 years old.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Like PP mentioned you need to re-educate! That is a new rule to.
It is? I thought it has been the rule for over 10 years now....maybe even more. I've known before DD1 was born she couldn't sit in the passenger seat until 12.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DSD is 16 & we knew when she was little not to have her sit in the front seat. ODS has sat in the front seat once because my neighbor (older man, grandpa to his super close friend) drove him to school when he missed the bus. I informed them both that ODS will not sit in front until he is over 12. I don't care why.

Oh, my dad won't wear a seat belt. Drives me crazy. Last time I was at his house (we live 500 miles away & I hadn't been to his house in 4 years) he got in my van to go visit my Grandma. He didn't make a move to put his seatbelt on & I told him my van won't move if everyone isn't seatbelted in. He whined a bit, then put it on. Too funny that I "made" my 300+ pound biker dad wear a seat belt.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Sweetpotatoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is legal for kids to ride in the front seat here, at any age. As long as all other seats are occupied.