Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #21
Duckduckfish
Registered Users
seller

Re: Harvest Babies Daily Chat 10/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
Jaime- They are having a moonlight madness sale and pretty much everything is like 40-60% off. I was buying flannel to make receiving blankets (because I'm a cheapo and didn't want to spend $10 for 3 blankets from the store). The flannel was 60% off and was like $2 a yard! They also had some 50% and 40% off coupons floating around. I think everyone and their mother were there and most people were buying like 10 different fabrics (I had 2). I noticed a lot of it was for fleece and stuff so I think people are doing Halloween costumes. At the end I told DH we should've just bought the premade ones at the store.
Please tell me how you wash and prep your flannel when you first get it. I bought some flannel and when I prewashed it, it pilled and got ugly fuzzy like crazy! I was making a gift for someone and decided not to even use the flannel because it looked sooo bad after washing!
Is there a trick to it? Or did I just get bad quality flannel? I bought it from hobby lobby.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so upset. Our dog just killed the kitten we got a few months ago. I can't even deal with it. Hubby said to leave the kitten where he's at and he would take care of it when he got home. I can't believe our dog did this..and all over the kitten wanting some of his food I might be guilty of bending my broom over the dog in hormonal rage and now I am just all upset. ugh. I don't even want to know what hubby will do with the dog when he gets home :/
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
naura
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG I heard the most horrible story from my doula about the doc I used with DS. a mom was laboring quite well she was unable to walk around because they eventually started pitocin @ 6cm (WHY??) well first, labor stalled with pitocin. she eventually dilated to 10. baby was ill positioned now she couldn't move around because she had to be monitored. well the doc came in at noon and proclaimed that he wasn't going to be her doc anymore unless she had a c section and she had 15 minutes to decide. O.M.G.

well she had a c section.

it is terrible, horrible, but it happens and people let it happen. my doula tried to help her so much... but in the end the OB's awful tirade won. she said she cried on the way home.

I was ready to push when he made his appearance, and DS came about 15 minutes later. he was born at 18:18 (6:18pm) i guess in time for him to go home for dinner. what an a$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC's Mama View Post
No, I don't think that's a bad thing to say.....I have a few friends who I thought that about. Nice women, good mamas, just aren't natural birth advocates or anything, and believe whatever their OB teels them without question. If I'd been like that, I think my first would have been a c/s, being that my water broke and it took me the whole rest of the day to go into labor (even though the labor not including pushing was like 7 hours long once it did start), combined with 2.25 hours of pushing. I have a feeling I might have taken "too long" in a hospital setting.

Last edited by naura; 10-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.
naura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #24
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Rachel- I just washed it and dried it normally. I didn't use dryer sheets. The ends frayed a bit but it wasn't super pilley or anything. It sounds like a case of maybe a lower quality fabric.

Nichole- I'm so sorry to hear about the kitten! I probably would've reacted the same way. Hope your DH can get home soon to help you out.

Chelsea- I totally know what you mean. I have several friends and family members who are the same way and I can pretty much always predict whether or not they will end up with a c/s. But, like you said, as long as they are okay with it then that is all that matters! It's such a personal thing and I don't want to invalidate their experience. I know for me, with my first I ended up with pitocin, AROM, epidural, episiotomy...even though going into it I didn't think those things were good. I was just uninformed and then after the fact I felt jipped so I became informed and have had much better experiences both at home and in the hospital (last time) since my first bad experience. I feel like if my friends and family members don't feel jipped and are okay with how things went that is totally their thing and I support them as new moms. Now, if they tell me they were unhappy and wished things had gone differently, then I get on my bandwagon and all that....
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 10-17-2011 at 04:45 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
naura
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nichole - my friend's dog once killed her ducks what kind of dog do you have?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she is a mutt. i could tell you any other time the mix but for the life of me im drawing a blank now... OMG i hate preggo brain!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

asked hubby and Camo is a Great Pyrenese and Pitbull mix :/
Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #28
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Nicole I'm so sorry about your kitten
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nichole- sorry to hear about your kitten I don't think I would be able to handle that!

Heather- I made receiving blankets with flannel from Joanns too! Not because I am cheap (but I am!!) but because I like to make them bigger than the ones you can get at the store and I like all of the fun prints that you can find!

Rachel- I had that same problem with some flannel that I had gotten. I think some is just made cheaper than others. I really like flannel from Joanns though, so far I haven't gotten any that is REALLY bad. I have found some really nice thick stuff that stays nice forever there too!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #30
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Jaime- Did you turn and topstitch yours? I just made one that is 1 layer and I just used the overlock stitch around the edges. I thought I would like this because I didn't want them to be too warm (it's so hot here still) or too bulky. But, I did not like how it came out and I am thinking of doing double sided and turning and topstitching. Means I need to go back and get some more because it will reduce how many I get out of the amount of fabric I bought.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote