Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
meg321
Registered Users
seller

going to be a 1 car family

I'm sure there are a lot of others out there that are 1 car families, I was just wondering if there are struggles because of it. We don't know yet if DH is going to be a SAHD when I go back to work after maternity leave or wait until the next school year starts, but when he does start staying home, we're going to sell his truck and pay off his truck and my car so we won't have a car payment ($400/month), it will also save us on car insurance and gas. He'll have to drive me to work (only 3 miles away) so he can have a car in case something happens to one of the kiddos and that way he can still go grocery shopping and run errands.

Just wondering what types of issues it causes having only one car.

Advertisement

meg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: going to be a 1 car family

wow a 3 mile commute makes 1 car really easy, I would say timing was the hard part, maybe the kids were sleeping when you need to be dropped off or picked up, the ages of the kids could make that a moot point, but YKWIM.

We had 1 car for 3 years and I was so excited to get another car again, I got lonely in the winter time, but it was doable, my DH has an 8 mile commute, so I def took him some days to have the car, but the majority of the time we stay home or had play dates with the neighbors or had people pver here.
It def. saved a lot of money though, ins. and taxes and all are quite expensive!

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Erinne
Registered Users

We're no car, but we have ok public transit. Could you possibly bike to work, at least when the weather is ok? Or carpool, if someone could pick you up? I mean, dh driving you would probably be fine, just thinking about what a pp said about sleeping and such. I'm sure it will be fine and nice to free up that money!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
meg321
Registered Users
seller

I know it's only 3 miles, but it would be a death wish if I were to bike...tons of hills and skinny roads. There are a few people that live near me that I could carpool with occasionally. I'm actually kind of excited about not having 2 cars, I'm not sure why, but I guess its the whole saving so much money thing.
meg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had one car for 2 years, and had to get a second one when we moved and DH's commute went to 16 miles and I had school in the opposite direction. If we ever live close enough to where he works again, we might go back to one car... granted, both of ours will be paid off well before then (one already is).

Overall, it was do-able. DD and I walked a lot of places and took our little podunk public transport to the grocery store =D Every once in a while, if I had things I needed to do in town that required a car, I would take DH to work and pick him up.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Bumping to see if anyone else has some real life stories on this. I am pondering selling one of our cars next Spring.. I am working in Oil and Gas right now, completely burned out with the work load and downsizing. Our plan is for me to resign after our annual bonuses are dispersed next Spring and start an in-home daycare. DH works at the airport, not 10 miles from our house, and he is thinking he can carpool with someone.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
epaashaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have decided to sell one of our cars. Before actually putting the car up for sale, we tested it out by just not driving that car ever. I work 6 miles from home and DH stays home (for now). I have been biking and LOVING it! The first week or two took some getting used to. I would forget stuff or not leave enough time to get ready or get a flat tire because I hadn't done any maintenance on the bike in years. But now, things are going really smoothly. I look forward to that exercise time that doubles as commute time. I really notice the seasonal changes too; like how good fall leaves smell. I am needing a few new articles of clothing and a better bike light but that cost is nothing compared to car payments and gas and maintenance. Fortunately I do have access to a shower at work so I just take a change of clothes and get ready there. If I don't feel like biking one day and DH needs the car, he will drop me off, if he doesn't need the car, I will take it.

PS - riding in the rain is actually not bad at all!
epaashaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
emeraldcitty
Registered Users

With a 3 mile commute, it should be very doable. One thing I'd like to second is the timing thing though, children tend to make things like that very difficult. We share a vehicle currently and thats the biggest issue. We do save a ton of money though
emeraldcitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
EarthMum
Registered Users
Formerly: Fallenangell44

We have one car, and imho it is one car too many. Since I am a SAHM I don't really need a car, and if I do it is no biggie to take him to/from work. I am hoping to move to a place where I can rely on public transit, and a bike, and not own a car at all.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

We are a one car family though things are going to be drastically different soon (it will take me 1/2 hr to drive dp to work and he starts at 7) so it wont be worth it to do it more than once or twice a week - probably less some of the time & only if I go straight out afterwards and not back home.

For the past 3 yrs to get the car was only a 5-10 minute drive so not a big deal whenever I wanted and he could usually get a ride home.

I should add that we will be almost Northern Canada and there is NO transit system up there. It is drive or go nowhere as I cannot even walk to a store.

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 10-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote