Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Low milk supply, and 3 beers...

So, today is our city's beer festival. Last year I used it to announce our pregnancy because I was kinda a big drinker before I got pregnant and it would've been obvious. Well, I was super excited about going today and having 3 beers. There is 6 oz of milk in the fridge. I figured if I nursed him on my walk to the festival, had 3 beers, and pumped and dumped (to maintain supply, I know I don't have to get rid of the alcohol) after 3 hrs, by the rime he needed to fees again I'd be fine.

Problem is, I'm having one if those low supply couple of days. Like I feel like I could go get a mammogram I'm so empty. I started fenugreek yesterday. Do you think it is dangerous to not have DS nurse this afternoon? If it matters, it's 11:30 am now, and including night feedings he has already nursed 5 times today.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How about having 2 beers instead and nursing him? It is a compromise, but everything about parenting is about balance. If you are worried about supply I wouldn't suggest dropping feeding sessions and having 2 beers is no big deal and if you eat and are at the festival for 3 hours you could have the 3 beers and nurse him
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low milk supply, and 3 beers...

My thoughts on it would be go and have ONE beer and still nurse (depending on how old your baby is?) OR go buy some formula to feed him if he is hungry and you've had too much to drink to BF him.. I get the beer festival is important to you but eating is pretty important to your baby!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky5306
My thoughts on it would be go and have ONE beer and still nurse (depending on how old your baby is?) OR go buy some formula to feed him if he is hungry and you've had too much to drink to BF him.. I get the beer festival is important to you but eating is pretty important to your baby!

Do some research, you can drink and nurse as long as you time it correctly. Formula is far more dangerous to baby than a tiny amount of alcohol in BM.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky5306
I have 6 oz of BM in the fridge (and more in the freezer), it isn't feeding him that's the problem, it's my supply that I'm worried about. Of course I wouldn't let my little guy go hungry!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
GLAZmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Having 1 (just 1!) beer will probably help with supply. I know when I have a glass of wine, my supply increases a few hours later but I never started having it now and then til the baby was more than a year old.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7
How about having 2 beers instead and nursing him? It is a compromise, but everything about parenting is about balance. If you are worried about supply I wouldn't suggest dropping feeding sessions and having 2 beers is no big deal and if you eat and are at the festival for 3 hours you could have the 3 beers and nurse him
You don't think 2 beers would be too much alcohol? Because my supply is kinda low, he is nursing every 2 hrs at the latest. So I could do 2 in 2 hrs and then nurse and have a 3rd before heading home, but wouldn't that be too much alcohol for him?

DS is 5 months and only 14 lbs

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7

Do some research, you can drink and nurse as long as you time it correctly. Formula is far more dangerous to baby than a tiny amount of alcohol in BM.
I've done lots of research and nursed my ds until he was 3yrs 2 mo he NEVER had a bottle or any formula ever. I never said you can not drink but drinking 3 beers and nursing an infant? Or skipping a feeding for him. Neither one sounds like a good idea.

While I do believe breastmilk is best I think its a (far) stretch to call it "dangerous" to a baby! LOL don't be a drama queen. Skipping feedings IS dangerous.

And PS I did re-read the OP and realized she meant is it bad to skip one feeding because of suppy issues. First I thought she just meant skip a feeding so she could drink (my apologies! Read quickly from my phone)

Sent from my EVO 4G using DS Forum
Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump

I have 6 oz of BM in the fridge (and more in the freezer), it isn't feeding him that's the problem, it's my supply that I'm worried about. Of course I wouldn't let my little guy go hungry!!!

I read it wrong and totally apologize! I thought you were asking about skipping a feeding for him so you could drink, not concerned about supply issue! Sorry mama! With him being so tiny I wouldn't be okay with more then 1 beer personally.

Sent from my EVO 4G using DS Forum
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

have a dark beer to help boost your supply!

ETA: i'd nurse as regular to avoid further affecting my supply, just not drink more than a single beer in an hour

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?

Last edited by karabeth05; 10-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote