Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!
low wage Job offer

DH's job has been a bit unstable so I started looking for jobs. I've only had one interview so far and the job is an hour away. I had a figure in my head of the lowest wage I could possibly accept in order to make the commute worthwhile and still be left with some money to put towards bills after paying for gas and daycare. The offer came in lower than that DH is out of town for work this week so I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet. On one hand, I feel like I can't turn down a job because I really do need to help out with the bills, on the other hand I feel like how much help am I really being if I'm taking a job that leaves me with very little money left after the travel expense, daycare and taxes. Jobs are hard to find in our area (which is why this one is so far away) so I worry that if I turn this one down to keep looking, I may have trouble finding another.

How did you decide what is the lowest offer you could accept? And did you/would you waiver from that if they offered lower?

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: low wage Job offer

could you possibly get daycare assistance? It varies by income and sometimes there's a waiting list though. Hope it all works out!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I'd ask him. I wouldn't take a job that wouldn't make a difference in our lives. If it's not enough money after daycare, travel expenses, taxes, and clothing/convenience expenses, to really make things easier financially, I would wait and see what turns up. But if I was struggling and the money would be the difference between an OK situation and a terrible situation, I'd take the job.

Is daycare cheaper in your hometown or where the job is?
Can you telecommute or bring her with you some days?
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! I hadn't even realized there might be some sort of daycare assistance - I'll look into it.

I live in a rural area and there's only one in-home daycare within 25 miles (approx) of us and she's full right now but if she'd had an opening right now, she's only $10 less than the daycare at the job. Telecommuting isn't an option b/c the position is working one on one with ASD pre-school students so it's not like an office job where I could do the work at home.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to DH about it tonight. Thank you both for your thoughts and insights with ideas that I hadn't thought of! All of this is helpful while I work towards making my decision!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
desertgirl
Registered Users
seller

I'd take the job. Money is money. You'll fill in some gaps in your employment record, and I've always heard that just having a job makes you more employable. Good luck!
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
poppan
Registered Users
seller

If your goals long-term are to work, and if jobs are hard to come by, then I would take the job. It's a foot back into the job market after (presumably) some time away, and it's always easier to find a job when you already have one (most employers are more likely to hire a currently-employed person). So I'd take it knowing I'm using it as a leg-up to a higher paying position, that it's short-term, that this is the stepping stone I need to step on to get where I want or need to be.

If there is daycare close to work or even on-site, I would totally do that, because it gives you more time with your child. The drive there & back plus maybe you could even go see her on your lunch hour or something.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, having a job makes you more employable - many companies prefer not to hire unemployed applicants. I'm not overly concerned about that because I can't keep the job long term because it prevents me from fininshing my last 2 semesters in school, thus preventing me from getting my certification to become a teacher. I'm done with all of my classes except my pre-clinical experience (which is supposed to begin in 2 weeks) and my demonstration teaching which takes place for 3 months in the fall. The workday takes place during the school day so I can't be in my placement school AND be at work simultaneously so taking this or any other daytime job means putting school on hold (quitting school just as my PCE is slated to begin) but I'm willing to do that due to the instability with DH's job....ya gotta do what ya gotta do and paying the bills is certainly a priority.

poppan, I totally agree about the daycare - I love the idea of her driving to work with me, being in daycare in the same building as me so if there's an emergency or she gets sick, I'm right there...and then she's with me on the commute home so instead of being away from her for 10+ hours a day, she's only away from me for 8 hrs.

Great feedback everyone. Keep it coming!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Given the new information--that the job would not be long-term and would actually DELAY your long-term (and presumably higher paid) plans... I would not take it. I would keep my eyes on the ball and maybe look for side work to supplement my income if that is needed (like babysitting, or basically anything that is more local, more part-time, maybe something you don't need daycare for... and likely something that is completely unrelated to your schooling/experience--literally anything that earns money).
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Given the new information--that the job would not be long-term and would actually DELAY your long-term (and presumably higher paid) plans... I would not take it. I would keep my eyes on the ball and maybe look for side work to supplement my income if that is needed (like babysitting, or basically anything that is more local, more part-time, maybe something you don't need daycare for... and likely something that is completely unrelated to your schooling/experience--literally anything that earns money).

DH agrees. He thinks that I should just sub at a local school instead. Either way, I have a lot to think about in order to make my decision.

Thank you all for your perspectives. I really needed a sounding board like this with different points of view to help me see both sides and work through my decision.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Substitute teaching seems like a great idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum