Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
kaibinks
Banned

Talking Chicken Frito Cassarole (my family's personal fav.)

NEEDED

1 Jar of Salsa
1 Large bag of Fritos
4 Chicken Breasts cooked and cut into chunks
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 large cube of montary cheader cheese or coby jack shreaded OR a bag of already shreaded...

First: Mix, your two cans of cream of chicken soup with your sour cream in a large bowl. Add the chicken. Mix well coating all the chicken. Add salsa to taste... some like it spicy others don't...

Then, in a large cassarole pan..
layer, fritos and your sauce mixture (with the chicken chunks). Then on top place more fritos and cheese. Cook on 350 for a good hour to a hour and a half. Till fritos turn a little golden brown and cheese is bubblely! YUM!
Add more salsa if you wish..

Our Family's Favorite!!

Advertisement

kaibinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Frito Cassarole (my family's personal fav.)

sounds yummy!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is very similiar to the King Ranch Chicken that I make. Recipe is as follows:

King Ranch Casserole, A South Texas Favorite
-Melanie Currier

• 1.5 lbs chicken,
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 medium/large onion, diced
• 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup (recipe still tastes good even if you use the ‘low fat versions)
• 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (recipe still tastes good even if you use the ‘low fat versions)
• 1 cans of Rotel brand diced tomatoes and green chilies (DO NOT DRAIN) (you might look for this in the ‘Mexican’ section of the supermarket, Rotel brand is a high quality brand. If you felt the dish was too spicy, then get the ‘Mild’. If not, buy the ‘Original’. I believe Del Monte also makes something similar and is found in the ‘canned tomato’ section of the supermarket)
• 1 cup of Sour Cream (recipe still tastes good even if you use the ‘low fat’ version.)
• 1 tablespoon of Cumin (can increase according to preference- I usually use about 2-3 tablespoons)
• salt (I just use a dash, but you can season to taste)
• pepper (I just use a dash, but you can season to taste)
• 8oz. of cheddar cheese, shredded (or a ‘Mexican’ cheese mix)
• 2 packages of soft corn tortillas (usually have about 10 tortillas per package and can usually be found in the dairy case in the supermarket), cut into centimeter-sized squares

Boil chicken in water. Once it has cooled, shred the chicken.

Mix the following ingredients in a very large bowl: shredded chicken, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, Rotel, sour cream, cumin, salt & pepper.

The creation of the casserole is similar to making a lasagna. Line large, deep casserole dish with the corn tortilla squares. Scoop enough of the chicken mixture into the dish on top of the tortilla squares to make a semi-thick layer (about .5 to 1 inch). Next, sprinkle a solid layer of cheese. (you should not be able to see the chicken mixture). Now repeat the layering process (layer of tortillas, layer of chicken mixture, layer of cheese) until you have reached the top of the dish . (Your very top layer should be a little bit of cheese on top of the chicken mixture. (Optional: If you have any corn tortilla squares left you can sprinkle them on top. If not, you can also use crumbled corn tortilla chips.)

Bake, uncovered, in the oven at 375 degrees for approximately 45min (could take as long as 1 hr and 15 min.). The dish and cheese should be very bubbly. Serve hot. Goes excellent with tortilla chips!

(The recipe can be made day before and refrigerated until you are ready to bake it.)
Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to say:

Since I always make the King Ranch Chicken, I think I'm gonna try the Frito Casserole. I'm sure my husband would love it!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
momanderson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This sounds yummy! I think I'll make it for supper tommorow
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibinks View Post
NEEDED

1 Jar of Salsa
1 Large bag of Fritos
4 Chicken Breasts cooked and cut into chunks
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 large cube of montary cheader cheese or coby jack shreaded OR a bag of already shreaded...

First: Mix, your two cans of cream of chicken soup with your sour cream in a large bowl. Add the chicken. Mix well coating all the chicken. Add salsa to taste... some like it spicy others don't...

Then, in a large cassarole pan..
layer, fritos and your sauce mixture (with the chicken chunks). Then on top place more fritos and cheese. Cook on 350 for a good hour to a hour and a half. Till fritos turn a little golden brown and cheese is bubblely! YUM!
Add more salsa if you wish..

Our Family's Favorite!!
I made this tonight- it was great, thanks for sharing!