Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
LuRu
Registered Users

Hand foot and mouth disease and BF.

Does anyone have any info. on what problems may arise to BF a toddler that is suffering from hand foot and mouth disease? The information provided to me thusly has been a bit lacking. Thanks tons!!!

Advertisement

LuRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Hand foot and mouth disease and BF.

Both my DD's have gotten that NASTY virus. It's seriously from the devil! The only problems that may arise is dehydration from the pain from the sores. You may need to pump and syringe feed the breast milk in 1 tsp per hour intervals to stave off dehydration. Nighttime Numbsit (sp?) is FROM GOD! It helps so much with the pain from the sores and you can apply it every 4 hrs.

Healthy adults cannot get this virus even if they never had it as children. So, don't be afraid to let your LO latch if she wants to. If you don't use a pacifier on a regular basis YOU may be the "mommy binky" for the next few days. Good luck momma and HUGS! Hopefully this passes quickly.

P.S. The sores should only last about 5-7 days until they begin to lose redness and swelling and start to heal. If your LO is still getting new sores after that go back to the dr! My ODD when she had it was still getting new sores at 12 days and not eating or drinking. I went back to the dr. and DEMANDED antibiotics and by about 16 hrs after her 2nd dose she was asking for food and milk again. Apparently she had gotten a secondary infection because of the open sores that was bacterial and it was no longer HFM but something called Impentigo (sp?).
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyscreation View Post

Healthy adults cannot get this virus even if they never had it as children.
Not true! I got the virus. I got red bumps all over my hands and feet...nothing in my mouth. It was a little itchy/sore, but not bad. My twins got it around 10 months of age. I nursed as they wanted. Our MD told us to give Motrin for the pain for them. My girl was far worse than my boy. Up all night for 2 nights. My 3 yo got it too. HIGHLY contagious, so stay away from others until you guys are over it. Our doctor said you can be contagious for up to 1 week after symptoms go away.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD got a very mild case this spring when it was going around the church nursery and neighborhood playgroups; she only had sores on her feet and they weren't very bad. I nursed her normally and nursed my little baby boy at the same time. My little guy was just a couple of months old and didn't get anything at all.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

In my case it caused my son to wean cold turkey. He got HF&M and then a double ear infection the next week. He was in so much pain he refused to nurse. I got mastitis. Sorry for the doom and gloom post but it was my only experience with it.
this_mel_rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Awww, Yucky, yuck! I hope your babies get better soon
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyscreation View Post
Healthy adults cannot get this virus even if they never had it as children. So, don't be afraid to let your LO latch if she wants to.
That is wrong! My dh got this so bad when DS1 got it (he actually got a rather mild version -only mouth sores for 2 days) while dh caught it and did he catch it bad! The sores on his feet were too many that he could barely even walk(he took off of work for it!)

I too got a slightly feverish few sores here & there types then and to boot I was just 20 days away fm my due date (supposedly pregnant women must avoid catching it as it can affect the foetus...Im guessing I was too far along for it affect ds2!)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
happycat
Registered Users

My DS had it last week. He just got sores in his mouth, and it did make it difficult for him to nurse. Even the sucking from a sippy cup hurt his mouth. He's 21 months and can drink from a cup (if I watch him for spillage , and preferred to drink that way. One night he refused to nurse before bed because of the pain. I thought he might end up weaning, but he didn't. He didn't feel good for about a week, but was only out of daycare until he was eating ok and fever was gone. It's not fun and DS was pretty cranky. Hugs! Tender care and patience will help Remember it'll pass and it's not life threatening, just annoying and painful.
happycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DS2 had it as a toddler, he had sores much worse on his feet than anywhere else. He had huge blisters between his toes and all over the soles of both feet, some blisters on his hands, and not much going on in his mouth. IIRC, he nursed more for a few days (and watched waaaaaaaay too much TV while he was sitting on the couch) and that was about it.
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
LuRu
Registered Users

Thank you all for the info. We have been BF the whole time so that has worked out! I was able to contact my pediatrician about it and she said as long as he was willing and comfortable that would be fine. I have heard of some adults that have issues with their immune system catching it, but they had colds or were recovering from colds and one had diabetes as well. Had there been any illness when it was caught? My breast feeder didn't get it nearly as bad as my older one so though he was a bit cranky some motrin seemed to calm him. My oldest had it really bad though and ran a mild fever for four days. Thankfully we are nearing the end!!! Thanks again for the input! And I definitely agree that it's the Devil. Strep wasn't this bad. Sigh of relief... Anyone have any input on how long they are contagious with it? Web MD's info, the family Dr., and the pediatrician all seem to be saying different things.
LuRu is offline   Reply With Quote