Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help! Baby refusing breast!

My 7 week old is refusing the breast. He has always nursed very well, but today he has not wanted to latch at all. The only thing that gets him to latch is if I pump an ounce, feed it to him with the bottle, then immediately put him to my breast. That's the only way he will accept the breast at all today. What on earth do I do? He is screaming at the top of his lungs with his dad right now, & I don't know if I should keep pumping & offering the bottle, then breast or what??

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think you should stop pumping and offer when baby is really sleepy, and when baby is asleep. It sounds like nipple confusion to me. It's easier to drink from a bottle, so baby has decided to go the easy route. Good luck!
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've just been so worried about him getting enough to eat today. Should I do a dropper or a cup, then? I feel so panicky about this; he is so upset!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Rule #1 is feed the baby. If he will ONLY take a bottle the. You need to do that while you work to get him back to the breast.

I would guess that your let down has slowed as is normal at his age. He wants milk right away and gets it from the bottle. Pumping also triggers your milk to let down so when he latches on the milk is ready and waiting.

I would try pumping a bit to trigger letdown them see if you can get him to latch on since the milk is ready to go.

You may need to start watching for his earlier hunger cues if he is seeming desperate for food right away. How often is he nursing?

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

He is trying every 1 & a half to 2 hours today, which is normal for him. The slower let down definitely makes sense. I've always had a quick let down & if it's slowing, maybe he is frustrated. I just feel so rejected, like he prefers the bottle to me, but you're right--it is easier.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Getting in the bath tub together has solved every refusal to nurse issue either of my kids have had. It's hard to refuse warm mama milk when you are warm and relaxed in the tub.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

He nursed normally last night & so far has nursed every hour since 8am but only for about 3 minutes each time. He has never nursed for very long--7 minutes is about the norm, frequently. It's a positive sign that he is at least nursing well for those few minutes though, right? Wondering if I should syringe feed in between until he gets back to his usual feeding times. Any opinions? And I will try the warm bath this afternoon for sure, thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Baby refusing breast!

I wouldn't worry about the syringe if he is eating every hour.

Yay for him being back at the breast!

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
marajade1023
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Baby refusing breast!

try different nursing positions and try cupping your breast while nursing, sometimes they just want to feel a particular shape to the breast, and the reflex to back up for air may cause baby to instinctly pull away, especially if the breast is engorged or you are blessed w/ large ones by nature. (I'm in that boat lol, usually have to support and hold my breast while nursing)
marajade1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have had a better day today. He is still very fussy before he will latch, cries for a good couple of minutes, but then will latch & is eating for longer. I wish I could get him to go back to just latching without all the crying first. He is such a good nurser otherwise. Sigh. What a stressful couple of days.