Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Baby refusing breast!

I bet it's a hormone thing on your side. It's usually a bit later for me (about 12ish weeks), but mine did the same thing. Remember he won't starve in less than a day, but he can DEHYDRATE rather quickly. I compromised by freely offering lukewarm WATER in a bottle (which of course they don't really like but WILL TAKE if they're truly thirsty) and offering the breast every 45 minutes or so. Eventually they get hungry enough and take it. The frustration wears off after maybe a week and life goes back to normal. As the months roll by my supply seriously drops. Around 10 months we have the same issue again. I've chosen to allow mine to slowly self wean at this stage, and we go to organic, un homogenized cow milk. I just don't feel like fighting them at 11 months old!

At this point, however, if you keep offering him the bottle of milk, you'll probably just convince him that it's really the best option. :P

Hope you both get back into a comfortable pattern again soon!

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Please don't give a baby that young water. It is a dangerous option at that age if they actually drink any.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Please don't give a baby that young water. It is a dangerous option at that age if they actually drink any.
Interesting statement... what is your source?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeller View Post
Interesting statement... what is your source?
Water is very dangerous for babies.

"Supplements (water, glucose water, formula, and other fluids) should not be given to breastfeeding newborn infants unless ordered by a physician when a medical indication exists... During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens." AAP Link

In addition you might want to look at Kellymom's Guidelines for offering water to breastfed babies.

"Offering water before the age of six months can pose significant health hazards... Water supplementation increases the risk of malnutrition... Water supplementation increases the risk of illness... Exclusive breastfeeding means giving only breastmilk. This means no water, liquids, teas, herbal preparations, or foods through the first six months of life." http://rehydrate.org/breastfeed/faq-exclusive-breastfeeding.htm

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There is actually something called water toxicity that babies can get if given too much water so it is best to avoid giving it to the infant. It can be fatal in extreme situations
Happy to be again after a bit of a break

Last edited by eliz7; 10-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeller View Post
I bet it's a hormone thing on your side. It's usually a bit later for me (about 12ish weeks), but mine did the same thing. Remember he won't starve in less than a day, but he can DEHYDRATE rather quickly. I compromised by freely offering lukewarm WATER in a bottle (which of course they don't really like but WILL TAKE if they're truly thirsty) and offering the breast every 45 minutes or so. Eventually they get hungry enough and take it. The frustration wears off after maybe a week and life goes back to normal. As the months roll by my supply seriously drops. Around 10 months we have the same issue again. I've chosen to allow mine to slowly self wean at this stage, and we go to organic, un homogenized cow milk. I just don't feel like fighting them at 11 months old!

At this point, however, if you keep offering him the bottle of milk, you'll probably just convince him that it's really the best option. :P

Hope you both get back into a comfortable pattern again soon!
Another thumbs down for water. Not safe and not needed. Keep up with what you're doing. If your LO is not wetting or stooling then you need to think about giving some milk by cup, dropper or bottle, but otherwise just let him nurse. You're doing fine!
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DD is seven weeks and she has been Fussy about latching the past few days. I'm 100% sure it is because of a slowed letdown.

Try massaging your breast or hand expressing a few drops before latching him. It might help things to move faster and ease his frustration. You want him to stay fed, even if you have to pump and bottle feed. Just always offer breast first and try to catch him before he's frantic. Try skin to skin too. Sometimes just feeling cozy with mommy will relax him so he's not in such a hurry. And make sure you drink lots of water and pump if he doesn't nurse well...you don't want your supply to bottom out.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

That's very interesting. I'm from Southern Arizona and it's VERY hot and dry. Peds there often suggest giving sips (and I'm talking baby sized sips) of water to fussy for no reason babies. I held out on my DD 1 for weeks because I was into the "no water ever" thing. My grandma finally started slipping it to her in teeny sips... it totally took the afternoon fussies away. I think it was the climate that affected her, though.

Additionally, because of where we live now, we boil our water, so it's super safe for anyone.

Thanks for the links!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just wanted to thank you all SO much for your support! DS is nursing fine now, other than the evenings, but I think thats an overactive let-down issue (ugh). If it weren't for you guys, I would have no support, as I'm the only person who has breastfed in my circle of family or friends. Thank you sooo much!!