Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
3Munchkins1togrow
Registered Users
seller

Re: Harvest Babies Daily Chat 10/20

Heather - I'm sorry your labor has stalled. Feel free to kick me or completely ignore me, but I am only saying this out of concern, I guess it's the nurse in me. Is it an option to go to the hospital for an ultrasound and at least check your fluid levels.

I know you don't have an OB so you would have to see who is on call, but to at least be sure everything is ok with the baby. The last thing you want after this whole ordeal is a septic baby from an infection, you did the NICU last time and I know you really didn't want to do it again, especially with a term baby. Or a cord compression from low fluid.

If the fluid levels were ok and no sign of infection and they still wanted to induce, then you could sign out AMA, but if the levels are extremely low then I know it would be the complete opposite of the birth you wanted, but in the end a healthy baby is the goal. I know your water broke last time too for 4 weeks, but that was on hospital bed rest being monitored. I am not trying to be like your family or midwife I just used to be a peds nurse and this stuff does happen. There is so MUCH unnecessary medical intervention, but sometimes it really is merited and saves lives. I'm sorry please don't hate me. Whatever you decide, I hope you get some rest and you DH is able to work something out with his leave I know that was a concern!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

As long as she is not exhibiting signs of infection and not inserting anything, it is ok for her membranes to be ruptured. The reason you continue to produce amniotic fluid after the rupture is to keep washing things out and away from the baby. As for cord compression, I'm sure her MW is.listening to the baby w/ a doppler. You can catch compression that way. My personal comfort level wouldn't extend much past 48 hrs, but if the MWs and Heather are comfortable, they can continueto wait.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thia- I hope you feel better! Unfortunately, I think at this point the only way to feel a lot better is to have the baby out of you I have been complaining to DH so much lately and he keeps reminding me that t will all be over soon and I will be holding our sweet little baby before I know it. It just doesn't seem like it can come soon enough! I hope you can get some rest and feel a little better soon!

3M- OUCH! I am so afraid of this baby flipping at this point, I can't imagine how that felt! It's so hard to put on a happy face for the kids when you are in so much pain The other day I was watching a dumb youtube video that had be bawling and DD saw me (she is 19 months) and lost it too. Poor thing. It was sweet but it made me feel bad! Hopefully your LO stops pulling those stunts and stays put where she is supposed to be!

Heather- your patience amazes me! I hope these next few days go fast and you can meet your little one soon!

Lauren- So excited for your new microwave! It's funny the things that are a HUGE deal to us when we are pregnant! But, I totally believe it was a God thing. He knew this wasn't something you needed to stress over!

Babies- oh my goodness! They are coming left and right! This is insane!

afm...DD and I went to a friends house this am and it was nice to get out of the house. Yesterday we went to the mall after her nap because we weren't getting along and we needed out of the house It's been so cold and rainy here all week so we haven't made it outside to play and I think she is going stir crazy.
I just need to get DD's halloween costume done now! I am taking her to DH's work next Friday to trick or treat cubicle to cubicle so I need to have it done!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heather- I keep checking to see if you've had your little man yet. We'll all be having ours *soon*, but it's still hard to wait. Last year, my midwife missed my little man's birth because there were 3 of us that were in labor at the same time. The lady my mw was with had her water break, but her bag resealed itself and she didn't give birth until 8 days after her water broke. Baby was perfectly fine and healthy. So I think as long as they're keeping an eye on you, you'll be fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

My new little princess in a snap-ez Preemie pocket

Attachment 82495

Yesterday she was 5 pounds 1.6 ounces

Last edited by Truckerswife; 11-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Truckerswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Azrael
Registered Users
seller
seller

She's a cutie! That looks like a good fit!
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Laura- I totally hear what you are saying. I actually always have the opposite problem and have too much fluid. Even last time I had "too much" despite the fact that my water had broken and had gushed quite a bit. This time the "break" was very minor and I probably lost maybe somewhere in the realm of 1-2 cups of fluid. So the idea of having low fluid is actually really far from my mind. And the other risks, like infection, are ones I am definitely taking preventative measures on.

Jennifer- The midwife I really like has dealt with women who have had their membranes ruptured for 4-10 days before going into labor, so she is more comfortable and has more of a plan in place. My other midwife had never dealt with it before (besides me last time, but I transferred to the hospital so it wasn't the same situation) and that is why she was a bit more nervous.

So, I talked to the more laid back midwife this morning. And the plan is basically this, I will stock up on some vitamins/herbs and I have a whole regime of what I have to take to boost my immune system and keep infection at bay. I have to take my temperature 3x per day and I have to listen to the baby's heartbeat with a doppler 3x per day. I have to see them every other day for bloodwork (CBC) so they can keep an eye on my white blood count. If, at any point, his movement decreases, my temperature increases, his heartrate is erratic, my white blood count is elevated, I will be heading straight for the hospital. I am not sure how long we will do this for but the hope for me is to do it for a few more days, maybe a week, before he will finally make his appearance. If he doesn't come by that point I will re-evaluate with the midwives and DH.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Hey all, I posted my baby announcement!

Heather- sorry things have stalled out for you, hoping things keep going to the point that you can still have your homebirth!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Heather - Hope you're hanging in there.........and I'm confident that lil' Levi will come out when he's ready. Hope for your sake he's ready soon, because I'm sure you, your DH, and the kids are super excited to meet him!

Chelsea - Congrats, and enjoy your babymoon!

Lauren - Yay for the new microwave!

AFM - I'm 32 years old today! Whoopee! The hubs got me a Kindle (woot), the boys are taking a super long nap (awesome present), and the little turkey even decided to give me a present: My first ever kick in the ribs (never happened in a pregnancy before).
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and just 'cuz it's cute and hilarious, the boys' Thing 1 and Thing 2 wigs came in the mail today..........

[IMG][/IMG]