Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Shannan for a boy?

So ever since ODD was in tummy we had a boy name picked out. Jared James. DH is in LOVE with the name james which I like too but I'm not in love with. Anywho, I'm on my 3rd pg and have 2 girls (I'm only 12 wks so don't know this one yet). This is (hopefully) our last pregnancy and if it's a boy I don't know if I still want to name him Jared. We've been thinking about these names...

Shannan James (LOVE)
Ian Alexander James (really like)
Alexander James (like)
Colby James (like)

Since the name Shannan is at the top of my list if it's a boy I need to know, will he be tortured? I only like Shannan for a boy though not really a fan as a girl name. My DD's names are Lily and Grace.

Advertisement

~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Shannan for a boy?

I have known two men that are named Shannan, but I never did hear if they got made fun of as kids...To me it's a male or female name just because I have known of both with the name. I know that kids can be cruel and can turn ANY name into one to be made fun of, so if you love the name, go for it!
& DS (4/13/12)

MNclothdiaperin'Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DDC - never have I seen that spelling before (normally Shannon ); but I think it's a great name for a boy (although I don't know the meaning). I have a male cousin named Shannon, and have two friends who's DH is named Shannon - never heard of any of them having an issue. Just thought of another person I know named Shannon, I knew him as a teenager at my church and he went by "Shane"; but I think that was more due to him being interested in performing and that was his "stage name" IYKWIM.

I think more names today are unisex and fine for both boys and girls than they were when I was growing up - so I don't think kids are likely to tease about first names.

Wish you the best I was an April 09 mama
lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Ok 'girl' names for boys was popular when I was a kid and I know a bunch of Shannon, Tracy and Stacy named boys. Universally throughout school they HATED their names. They did get teased and harassed. The ones I know that are adults go by nicknames.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
lilbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

I love this baby name site! You can search a name and then click on "more". It tells you all sorts of info about the name. You can click on "considering this name?" and it takes you to a poll done by other people that have that name.
lilbugsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbugsmomma View Post
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

I love this baby name site! You can search a name and then click on "more". It tells you all sorts of info about the name. You can click on "considering this name?" and it takes you to a poll done by other people that have that name.
Oooh, that is a nice site! I love the meaning of the name, and had no idea it was originally a male name! Too cool
lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
I know of 1 guy named Shannon and all the rest are females. I'm just not a fan of girl names for boys. Then again, I have a Tegan and I guess that's more of a girl name. We didn't know that when naming him.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
tg_canada
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Ok 'girl' names for boys was popular when I was a kid and I know a bunch of Shannon, Tracy and Stacy named boys. Universally throughout school they HATED their names. They did get teased and harassed. The ones I know that are adults go by nicknames.
I thought Shannon was originally an Irish boy's name? I don't think it was a girl's name that was used during a trendy period as a boy's name.
tg_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Treasures From Elf
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
You do realize that Shannon, Tracy, and MacKenzie were all originally boy names?

The problem is that mothers of girls decided to name their daughter a boy name and it caught and then became a girl name.

Oh yeah, and Ashley was originally a boy's name too.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Love the name Shannan for a boy. We are using James as a middle name too as it is my dad's name and both grandfathers (mine) names. We are doing Finnegan James Lucus (Last name)
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote