Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Parents Who Were Homeschooled

We are pretty set that we want to homeschool. I know the local districts well, went to the "best" one locally and I still feel like I got a terrible education when I went to college.
The only thing I wonder is.. those parents who were homeschooled... did you ever regret that you never got the chance to go to prom or such? Our local district lets homeschooled kids take part in things such as band, choir, and sports if they want, but I figure they won't be close with many kids in the district to go to dances. Maybe they will who knows... but is that something you ever look back and are like.. man I wish I could've went?

I ponder these things when I'm alone lol.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents Who Were Homeschooled

I was homeschooled all 12 years. I participated in band and volleyball with the public school and really thought, "Man, these SUCK!!!" It was a small town with teachers that really didn't care about what they were doing, and the kids were really clique-ish and didn't really interact with me. So I didn't even bother with prom and such, and never felt deprived. I went on to make some awesome, nice homeschool friends and make fun memories with them. My younger siblings meshed a little better with the public school and went to all the dances and such, so it is possible to be involved that way if you're homeschooled.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectFifth View Post
I was homeschooled all 12 years. I participated in band and volleyball with the public school and really thought, "Man, these SUCK!!!" It was a small town with teachers that really didn't care about what they were doing, and the kids were really clique-ish and didn't really interact with me. So I didn't even bother with prom and such, and never felt deprived. I went on to make some awesome, nice homeschool friends and make fun memories with them. My younger siblings meshed a little better with the public school and went to all the dances and such, so it is possible to be involved that way if you're homeschooled.
Thank you for your honesty! It made me feel better.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
ctoth77
Registered Users
seller

Are there any homeschool co-ops around you? I know some girls who are being homeschooled and their co-op is pretty big. They have sports teams and cheerleaders that compete with other schools (even in other states) and have their own proms & dances. From what I can tell, they're still getting a lot of the "normal" high school experience.

Last edited by ctoth77; 10-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
ctoth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nah! Prom and all that stuff just wasn't a priority for me or my siblings (5 of us total); we were more interested in doing other things, like pursuing a degree, or being active in 4-H, or developing our artistic skills, or what have you. We never had friends who were homeschooled, but that didn't bother us any; we worked well with all our friends, who went to public schools. Prom and those things always seemed like more of a bother to me than something I'd actually want to do. But then maybe I'm just a nutty introvert. :P

I actually asked my husband not long ago if he ever wanted to go to public school as a kid, and he told me no, he'd never considered it. That's about my experience as well.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't homeschooled, but my husband was, and he never felt like he missed out. If anything, he felt sorry for the public school kids.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was homeschooled K-12. I will be honest and say at ONE point in my life (late teens-going into college age) I wondered if I missed out by not getting to go to things like that. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>after college and marriage and looking back. I'm thrilled that I DID miss out on it. But I wasn't always thrilled, it was just during a stage of "I wonder what it WOULD have been like..." Then I grew up. lol YAY for parental protection!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

I never went to school and I never missed it. That being said, I grew up in Arizona where you can participate in most public school activities (I didn't because I didn't club sports, club band, co op art lessons, private piano lessons, college prep band, 4-H, Toastmasters, etc). Additionally, there are literally 10's of thousands of homeschoolers in Arizona, so I had all kinds of friends living the same life style. We had our own prom and every thing (I didn't go to that either because I was a bit of a nerd and thought it was lame, lol).

I think the most important thing you can do for your home schooled kids is teach them to think outside the box, look for friends in every age and social group, and live each day looking for opportunities. My parents did that for me and I consider myself very well adjusted.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband was homeschooled in high school. We were dating in high school and I attended public school so he went to dances and such with me. But it's not his thing anyway, so he wouldn't have minded missing these things.
I also know that our local homeschool group puts on dances.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

My husband was homeschooled and he did not want to go to public school. He said he felt bad for his friends who had to go to school all day then do homework. He even did some of his friends papers so they could hang out (he could just bust them out ).

I had such a great time in school that I do worry about it. But they can take classes at the schools if they want to, so they can meet people through that.