Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents Who Were Homeschooled

i was not homeschooled, but our homeschool group has a high school prom and has student counsil, has yearbook, has band, etc, etc, etc....my kids wont be 'missing' out on anything

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

The homescho associations here put on a beautiful prom with dj and everything (I was a chaperone one year). They even picked a king and queen more based on accomplishments. They also have a yearly yearbook and dates the kids get their pictures done by a photographer. So maybe your child won't miss out on those things. Call your local homeschool group and see if they have that. Just an idea. They even have very active girl scout troops, sports teams, extra curricular activities. I actually had to say no to many of the activities in order to have time to homeschool!
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't even think my town has a local homeschool group - its a tiny town. I will check. Luckily, I have time.. but Andrew and I are set that homeschooling is the best thing to give our children the education they deserve and need. Working in the "best" public school system in the city gives me like.. a first hand experience even though I went to school there myself.. its from a different light now.. and I realize.. I don't want her to go through that. I want better for her.

But, maybe by the time we start homeschooling, more people will be doing so (especially if Issue 2 in Ohio passes!)by then. But.. I remember in high school homeschooled kids being in band and choir, and one taking online classes in the library the same time I took mine so that might be an option.. Never thought of 4-H!! We have a 4-H locally I would love for her to be a part of as she gets older. We have city wide sport teams she can be enrolled in.

I feel better Thanks ladies! lol
Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89
I don't even think my town has a local homeschool group - its a tiny town. I will check. Luckily, I have time.. but Andrew and I are set that homeschooling is the best thing to give our children the education they deserve and need. Working in the "best" public school system in the city gives me like.. a first hand experience even though I went to school there myself.. its from a different light now.. and I realize.. I don't want her to go through that. I want better for her.

But, maybe by the time we start homeschooling, more people will be doing so (especially if Issue 2 in Ohio passes!)by then. But.. I remember in high school homeschooled kids being in band and choir, and one taking online classes in the library the same time I took mine so that might be an option.. Never thought of 4-H!! We have a 4-H locally I would love for her to be a part of as she gets older. We have city wide sport teams she can be enrolled in.

I feel better Thanks ladies! lol
You can always start one. Two friends and I started one 3 years ago in our small town. We started with about 10 families. Now, we have about 40. Everyone volunteers and we lots of things going on. Sports, clubs, teen night, science fair, SS fair, etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was homeschooled 2-9th grade. I went to a charter/private school 10-12. I never felt deprived - like the others, I felt sorry for public school kids, herded around like a bunch of sheep. LOL. Looking back, one of the drawbacks is that I have a hard time knowing how old/what grade I was when things happened. It was just life long learning. I did love being able to go places on the off season though.

As for dances, etc. I loved going to a tiny school where I got those things, but wasn't overwhelmed. Then, college had all the rest of it too.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaArizona View Post
I was homeschooled K-12. I will be honest and say at ONE point in my life (late teens-going into college age) I wondered if I missed out by not getting to go to things like that. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>after college and marriage and looking back. I'm thrilled that I DID miss out on it. But I wasn't always thrilled, it was just during a stage of "I wonder what it WOULD have been like..." Then I grew up. lol YAY for parental protection!
I LOVE this answer!!!! I think it shows that parents need to decide what is best regardless of whether our children like it. Hopefully, we can involve our children in things that make them not feel like they were missing anything, but there are much more important things than proms and PS sports teams.

Oh and I went to private school. Sometimes, I felt I was missing out by not going to PS, but ultimately, I feel the same way as the above poster.

My sister, who is significantly younger than I am, was HS'd in highschool. She was part of a HS'ing group that had prom and other organized events and such. She didn't miss out.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started in public school and after years of daily fights, begging, and "fake" illnesses to avoid school my mom finally pulled me out mid year in 6th grade and started HSing me. I loved it but decided that I wanted to go back to public for HS. I went to one or two dances and thought they were pretty lame. I dropped out of public mid year my senior year and got my diploma through independent studies. I now HS all of my kids and I am very aware of what they are "missing" by not going to PS. I feel that my kids are very lucky to be HS'd and that they aren't missing anything.

On a side note my DSD decided she wanted to go back to PS so she spent the last year and a half there prior to this current year. She is so glad to be back home and now knows that she was crazy to ever think PS was better.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #18
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't homeschooled but I wanted to chime in and say that in college I was friends (still am friends) with several homeschooled teens and several homeschooled kids my own age. All grown-up now with careers and families of their own starting.

Let me reassure that these teens and young adults do date and hang out etc like any other teen. They were actually cooler in my mind, because they seemed more willing to talk to people of any age----they didn't freak when a younger sibling was around or their parents---they seemed to consider people of any age a potential friend. Some were very religious, some more open minded.

AND I dated a homeschooled guy I worked with in college. I know from my own experience that none of them were socially backward Boo Radleys (and they were much more likely to be able to reference that than other people I knew) I also noticed they were okay with talking about school or what they were learning with each other---school and learning just didn't seem lame to them.

And for what it's worth. I was public schooled and never went to a dance and i don't regret it at all.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
thecraftybandita
Registered
seller

My Mood:

if you have any access to a home school co-op, or if you can get involved with an umbrella-type school, there are all kinds of things that you can get in on. i was part of yearbook committee, i went to several dances, my sis played several different sports. my husband and i were both home schooled. we each had a graduation, all that jazz. 4-H is also great for extra-curricular activities, and not just farming and horticulture...i was involved in art and photography in 4-H, and i went 2 camps, and a dance.
I'M SHANLIE...CRAFTER, HOMESCHOOL MOM, AND THRIFT STORE JUNKIE. WIFE OF 7 YEARS TO MY DARLIN', LEE. MAMA TO CORAL, BORN 4/09 AND FERN MAY, BORN 7/12 . MISSING OUR LOST LITTLE ONE, 8/10. I LOVE TRADES!!! ISO/IHA.
thecraftybandita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaArizona View Post
I was homeschooled K-12. I will be honest and say at ONE point in my life (late teens-going into college age) I wondered if I missed out by not getting to go to things like that. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>after college and marriage and looking back. I'm thrilled that I DID miss out on it. But I wasn't always thrilled, it was just during a stage of "I wonder what it WOULD have been like..." Then I grew up. lol YAY for parental protection!