Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
so Im going to stop eating dairy =x

Anyone else love dairy and had to stop eating it? How do you cope?
Ive already given up drinking milk on a daily basis, and sub it with almond milk, but I was drinking choc milkshakes like sometimes once a week .
I love chocolate (nutella is my bff lol) and cheeeeeeeeeese.
We eat pizza a couple times a month so I guess Ill be pulling off the cheese.

Im quiting because Im pretty sure its the cause of my lo's eczema and her greenish mucousy stools.

I am struggling emotionally w/life in general, I have chronic depression and anxiety and right now a lot of these foods have given me comfort but my dd's eczema has gotten worse and Im almost positive its the dairy.
So im doing it for her but it sucks for me.

I know Ill probably lose weight but I really want/need my chocolate right now.
I know this will be a good thing but Im still bummed, dairy, sugar, dairy, sugar its like a drug. It's going to be really hard but I look at my baby and I know what I have to do.

Anyone else really struggle quiting the dairy?

Anyone stop and was able to add some back at some point?

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: so Im going to stop eating dairy =x

I had to do this for my DS3 and am already starting for this baby to not have any in me. He had what your baby has and screamed in pain from it.

I am a cheese whore. I LOVE cheese, ice cream, and several other dairy treats - just ask my waist line...LOL! It was so hard for me to stop, yet easy at the same time. My son was in pain and suffering horribly. I had to give up ALL cow proteins, as it is VERY rare a baby is allergic to lactose. The common dairy allergy is dairy proteins - casein and whey that are in other products other than the obvious.

No margerine, butter, certain premade meals, and breads. Read all labels and look for hte proteins. There is a margerine that is made with no dairy, it has olive oil. Very yummy, too. Make all recipes with goat's milk and cheese, it is even better than cow! I ate goat cheese with no issues as there is no dairy protein in goat products.

It was hard at first. Then I saw that I was getting skinnier!! Once I discovered that dairy made me gain weight and not eating it was helping me feel better physically, I felt better emotionally! I was never able to eat dairy while nursing. I nursed for a year and then stayed off dairy except in hidden ingredients. I still only indulge in my secret passion rarely as I gain weight immediately and did notice that I have a sensitivity to it - bloat, gas, and constipation.

It is hard at first, but SOOOOOOOOOO worth it. It can take up to 2 weeks for your baby to heal completely, but you will see results fast as far as gas, stools, and crying. Remember to look at packaging and substitute cow for goat when you can. I can give you a ton of dairy free recipes!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sure Id love some yummy recipes! I didnt know you could eat goat cheese, I love goat cheese, but not goat milk!!
I knew it was the dairy protein not the lactose. My ds has a dairy sensitivity but not as much as dd.
It's only been a day and I swear her cheeks already look less red.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Usually dark chocolate (like semi-sweet chips) is dairy-free. Check labels obviously. Just thought you might want some good news!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by aept; 10-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coconut milk is AWESOME in ice cream and shakes. I've never liked soy anything, and once I discovered the coconut, I was never going back.

With DD1, I was able to add milk back in somewhere around 8 months. I'm hoping it'll be the same for this one, because it's been a looooong four months without cheese.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

You can use coconut milk to make ice cream. You can use coconut oil to make "chocolate". Google vegan chocolate. I promise there are some good substitutes like earth balance instead of butter.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
You can use coconut milk to make ice cream. You can use coconut oil to make "chocolate". Google vegan chocolate. I promise there are some good substitutes like earth balance instead of butter.
mmm interesting!
thanks for the suggestions everyone.

She will be 9mos next sunday but shes still mostly bfing, doesnt eat a ton of solids yet.
She mostly wants to partcipate w/us but doesnt really care if she gets much in.
I mean her favorite food group is paper lol, shes fast w/it too!

We reeeeeeeally need to go grocery shopping.
It's hard because we do have choc candy in the house, but so far Im resisting.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
emeraldcitty
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat as you! I've been off of dairy for the last 3 months, since my son was a few weeks old. I found that after a few weeks I could occasionally eat a slice of pizza and it doesn't seem to bother him. That being said I really don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Coconut EVERYTHING is delicious (especially yogurt), and i satisfy my chocolate cravings with pure-as-possible REAL dark chocolate. Definitely purge your cabinets/fridge and go grocery shopping. I had to be prepared with lots of alternatives before I could really give it 100%.

I've lost a whole bunch of weight, too. To be honest I took this as an opportunity to really focus on eating clean, whole foods and exercising instead of comfort eating. It's worked wonders for me!
emeraldcitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Goat's milk does contain casein. It's a lower content than cow's milk, and smaller flakes and can be digested easier than the casein found in cow's milk. Some w a dairy allergy/sensitivity can handle some goat's milk, others can't. So, just be aware of that
Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
heathera
Registered Users

I have dealt with this for years. I have 4 kids, 2 of which had a dairy allergy and possible third one now. She had mucous/ bloody/ green stools. I have been dairy free for 4 months now. The first month is usually easy for me and then I start really craving cheese and have a grumpy couple of weeks. I just tell myself one day I will have dairy again. Just make sure to read labels and watch for hidden dairy too. You can do it, I promise! I just have to find a yummy substitute and then I am good.

For chocolate Enjoy life has a chocolate bar that is dairy free

For ice cream Sodelicious has a soy based and coconut based, both very yummy. They also make yogurt and many other dairy free products.

For butter, we use Earth Balance.

For cheese if you need it Daiya is by far the best. It melts well and is pretty decent taste wise. I like to use it for omelets, etc.

If you have a zpizza in your area, they will do a dairy free pizza for you.

Those are some quick ones I can think of. Hope that helps some.

Oh, here are few more

Divvies
Amanda's Own Confections
heathera is offline   Reply With Quote