Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help I'm losing to much weight and another question.

I know this is not your normal thread most people want to lose. Please don't hate me, I have always been little. I'm 5'7 and only weighed 142 the day before dd was born. I lost to much when I BF my 2nd child and looked awful and felt awful to. I BF her for 81/2 mos.

This baby is 41/2 mos and I weighed 126 Aug. 30 at my last appointment. Today I weigh 118. I am EBF, I have been avoiding dairy since she spitts up a lot. We try to eat healthy. Its so hard to avoid processed foods and gain weight. Anyway what would you do. Oh I'm already taking Super MOm vitamins.
I'm I gonna end up having to give formula and if I do remind me that its not the end of the world. I have read to much lately about how unhealthy our Standard American Diet is and how unhealthy formula really is.

Also on top of me loosing weight, I am battling constipation and which I guess most people say has nothing to do with BF but I wonder since you have to drink a lot of water for both.

Anyway also need help with carseat situation. DD screams in the carseat if we are ever gona past 6 or 7 pm not. She calms down if I take her out to nurse but sometimes will fall asleep but most times will cry all the way home. So we have resolved to make sure we are home before then. Except on Sunday nights on the way home from church. Anytime we are at my moms are anywhere seems like we struggle getting home. My other two dc are in tears as well from hearing her cry. I have only 2 bottles pumped we have tried a bottle and it helped some. Since she rides better during the day we stop bringing it and I haven't pumped anymore. Mainly because of the weight loss and also cause I hate to pump. A bottle of BM or formula may not help the problem. It might though.
We are going out of town tomorrow early in the morning. We wanted to leave tonight but dh doesn't get home until 7:30pm and we think maybe she will not cry as much early than if we leave when she's already tired and ready for bed.
Any suggestions on the traveling in peace.

Advertisement

misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help I'm losing to much weight and another question.

I struggle with weight too! Overall feeling weak and losing too much and feeling exhausted even though I get a decent amount of sleep. I drink Ensures. I did w/ DS1 too. They have milk protein, but are lactose free. Have you talked to your doctor about the spitting up? If your LO is still spitting up, then you might ask about Prevacid. We put my son on that at 12 months old, and I wish I had done it sooner. I just hated having my baby on a prescription, but I figured it was better that than resorting to formula. My body was not functioning well without have dairy as a means to get calories. When I was dairy free, I ate a lot of peanut butter and eggs.

My children are not car seat nappers unless we are on the interstate. Even if we're 2 hours past nap time, they will not fall asleep. As soon as we're home, they'll go right to bed. CRAZY! But she is probably fussy, because she wants to go to bed! Witching hour can be avoided if you work hard to be home for when they are wanting to go to sleep. A baby 8 months old mostly likely is ready for bed around 6-6:30pm. It sounds like you're already working hard to get her the sleep she needs (around 14 total hours per 24 hours.) As she gets better rested, you will find the occasional late night won't be so bad. It will make things much easier.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you had your thyroid checked? There's a condition called postpartum thyroiditis that is a lot like hyperthyroid and causes weight loss, anxiety, etc.

Have you tracked your daily caloric intake to see if you're getting anywhere near a normal amount? Depending on your basal metabolic rate and your level of activity, plus breastfeeding, you probably need 1800 to 2000 calories a day, maybe more, to maintain your weight. If you're getting more than that but still losing, there's probably something medical going on with you.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel your pain on every issue mentioned mama (except the dairy allergy...I don't. DD is projectile vomiting, so I'm trying to figure out her problem)

While nursing my DS, I got down to 100 lbs...10 lbs under my prepregnancy weight. I'm trying really hard this time to not do that. It wears you down so quickly. Taking care of a toddler and nursing (and I WOH-FT) is going to be exhausting even with enough weight to support me. As far as keeping the weight on goes, I can't say I know anything that is successful, but I'm trying (DD is only 4 weeks though so I'm still packing a few lbs of baby weight...but unfortunately, only a few.). I would say to make sure to eat plenty when you eat. At supper, breakfast, or lunch, eat as much as you can!! With lo's around it's hard to stop to get snacks, so when you eat make it count!! I've been keeping granola bars around and also baking sweets so that we have something around here to snack on at all times. (Poor DH is trying to lose weight )

As far as the car goes, I have little advice...just My DS did that until he was...um...until a few months ago, and he's 26 months. We finally learned when we bought an SUV that the lights from the cars traveling behind us were bothering him. He will sleep in the SUV but not the car. We tried traveling a few times overnight after he had fallen asleep at home, but that never worked. Then we were just tired and driving in the dark...and he was screaming. For us, he just had to grow out of it. I hope someone else has advice to help.

All in all, I'm not a bit of help, but I do understand how frustrating it all feels and wanted to offer mama!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Good point vegancupcake! I had pp thyroiditis with my first. I felt like my body was on overdrive. I was out of breath and had a rapid heart rate. I also felt hot all the time. But some may not have any noticeable symptoms. Definitely worth getting checked...easy blood test. My endocrinologist said it happens around 6 months or so.

Oh, and Clifbars, Larabars, and lunabars. Those are high calories easy snacks that are decent.

Last edited by proudmama4; 10-21-2011 at 01:26 PM.
proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some (unprocessed) things you can add to your diet to build your weight and support BFing - coconut oil, avocado, fish. Coconut oil is easy to add to recipes instead of butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil, and you can add it to smoothies without getting an oily flavor.

Smoothies were a godsend for the first few months of BFing. Start with plain yogurt and a banana (whole milk yogurt since you need the extra calories/fats), add any fruit you like, maybe spinach or kale if it doesn't bother you, some flaxseed/meal or chia seed (I prefer chia), maybe honey, almonds - make it nice and big. Blend it all well and drink for or with breakfast (and lunch/dinner, too, if you think you need it). Dr. Sears has a (complicated) recipe for a morning smoothie with lots of good ingredients, but I prefer to wing it.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

I didn't even realize this was a problem but now that I'm past this phase, I think I had at least a mild form of thyroiditis. I'm normally a very cold person and was wearing tanks in the middle of winter. It also didn't help that family (MIL) was telling me how much weight she gained after stopping bf so while I was eating more than 2000 calories I don't think it was enough with my metabolism in overdrive.

Eat protein (chicken, fish, eggs) and avocado. You should eat as much as your body craves as long as it is healthy.

Trying out swagbucks.
little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Some (unprocessed) things you can add to your diet to build your weight and support BFing - coconut oil, avocado, fish. Coconut oil is easy to add to recipes instead of butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil, and you can add it to smoothies without getting an oily flavor.

Smoothies were a godsend for the first few months of BFing. Start with plain yogurt and a banana (whole milk yogurt since you need the extra calories/fats), add any fruit you like, maybe spinach or kale if it doesn't bother you, some flaxseed/meal or chia seed (I prefer chia), maybe honey, almonds - make it nice and big. Blend it all well and drink for or with breakfast (and lunch/dinner, too, if you think you need it). Dr. Sears has a (complicated) recipe for a morning smoothie with lots of good ingredients, but I prefer to wing it.
It's funny you mentioned the avocadoes, I just tried one a couple of days before this post. Glad I liked it. I called my dh after I read this and told him to pick me up 5. I have been eating them and adding the Coconut oil to my soup and different things. One of my problems is that I have been trying to eat healthy and I have been reading to many blogs about how unhealthy everything is. So alot of the time I will not eat hardly anything since I can't find something not processed. I gave up on that partly last week just so I could get some calories in. Thanks for letting me know that there are some healthy fats I can snack on in between. We had also recently started doing a smoothy with oatmeal, blueberries, coconut milk and honey I will add the avacado to that. I had quit with the oatmeal cause I read that it needs to be soaked to properly digest and we all have alot of stomach issues already. I also have to be careful of to much sweet fruit and such in the smoothie since I am hypoglycemic too. No I haven't had my thyroid checked lately. I don't have insurance.

Last week I weighed 118 today 114.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty316

It's funny you mentioned the avocadoes, I just tried one a couple of days before this post. Glad I liked it. I called my dh after I read this and told him to pick me up 5. I have been eating them and adding the Coconut oil to my soup and different things. One of my problems is that I have been trying to eat healthy and I have been reading to many blogs about how unhealthy everything is. So alot of the time I will not eat hardly anything since I can't find something not processed. I gave up on that partly last week just so I could get some calories in. Thanks for letting me know that there are some healthy fats I can snack on in between. We had also recently started doing a smoothy with oatmeal, blueberries, coconut milk and honey I will add the avacado to that. I had quit with the oatmeal cause I read that it needs to be soaked to properly digest and we all have alot of stomach issues already. I also have to be careful of to much sweet fruit and such in the smoothie since I am hypoglycemic too. No I haven't had my thyroid checked lately. I don't have insurance.

Last week I weighed 118 today 114.
I'm hypoglycemic too, why would you have to be careful with fruit??
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I'm hypoglycemic too, why would you have to be careful with fruit??
I have always been told not to eat to much of anything with sugar even the natural sugar. I def do not avoid all sugar though when I tried that i felt worse.