Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My birth story- Landon Thomas :)

Well our little man has FINALLY arrived! It seems like we were waiting forever for him.

I worked Monday & Tuesday (12 hr shifts) and did what I could to encourage contractions (walked as much as possible, went up flights of stairs, etc) but they never got closer together.

Wednesday was the day i was scheduled to be induced, so in the morning I had my last appointment with my OB, he checked me and I was 4 cm. He said go home and walk, or BD (though DH wouldn't consider that one of course) to encourage labor. He stripped my membranes (OUCH!) and I headed home. In the car I noticed that I had started contracting every 5 minutes, not so painfully but they were very regular. I called my friend who is an L&D nurse, she convinced me to just come in, she'd already talked to the manager and let them know I'd be in and they saved one of our nicer rooms for us in post partum and I got our best nurses. I called DH, told him we should probably head in to the hospital and took DD home to have lunch. I called my parents to let them know to head down (2 hr drive from where they live) so they could pick up DD. When DH got home we had lunch, took DD to school and stopped to get a smoothie before getting to the hospital.

They checked me when I got there at about 2pm, was 4-5 cm with a bulging bag of water. My ctx had spaced out but they reassured me I was here to stay, they wouldn't send me home. After 5 pokes they finally got my IV started and eventually I was moved to my labor room. I got all hooked up to the monitors, etc, and soon after my OB came in (about 4). He wanted me to get my epidural before he broke my bag of water (he had a feeling I'd go quickly once it was ruptured) which was fine, I wanted to get it anyway. The epidural took a while, I guess I had a spinal fluid leak so they watched me closely after delivery for a spinal headache. At 4:30 my epidural was placed, was expecting some relief but didn't really get it. Then they started the pitocin at 4:45. The first contraction after it was placed I still felt it, my nurse checked me and he had moved from -2 to 0 station very quickly. I continued to feel all of them until his heart rate started decellorating quite a bit around 5:30 (by then I had oxygen, IUPC, FSE, was on the peanut ball, etc), all the nurses and my OB came in. They checked me and I was 8cm, my OB said "Would you like to try pushing?" I was shocked but agreed. I pushed once and he said "Ok you're an anterior lip. Lets get set up for delivery!" I was shocked. He had me start pushing regularly at 5:53 and he was born at 6:00 on the nose (so really only 1.5 hours of active labor, compared to 18.5 with dd!). He had a true knot in the cord and a nuchal cord, they called him a miracle baby He's perfectly healthy and beautiful and weighed a whole 2lb more than dd (8lb 3oz 21" long)! We couldn't believe it.

He's a great breasfeeder and wasn't even jaundiced! He seems pretty mellow (knock on wood) so far but we will see if that changes. Unfortunately I developed a spinal headache last night and still battling it (may have to go get a blood patch, not sure yet) but things could be worse. Anyway we are completely in love with our little man, he's amazing and we feel so lucky. DD is so excited to be a big sister. Thx for reading!

Advertisement

Last edited by moonpuppyswifey; 10-22-2011 at 07:18 PM.
moonpuppyswifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My birth story- Landon Thomas :)

congrats!!! sorry about the headache, I hear those things can be pretty awful.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Octmom2009
Registered Users
seller

Congrats!
Octmom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DDC- Congrats!! What an exciting story!

I want to encourage you to demand a blood patch ASAP. That was one of my criteria for getting an epidural with my last baby. If I developed a headache, I didn't want to wait and see, just do a blood patch ASAP! They agreed and thankfully I never got a headache but I've heard they can last for awhile. I can't imagine being in pain like that with a newborn and other kids. No way! I have had migraines since I was 7-8 and I've suffered enough in my life with them!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Congrats, mama!

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats...great story!
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thx I went ahead and got a blood patch last night and am feeling soooo much better!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats, Erin! Added you in the arrivals thread ...