Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

What is wrong with my son? Fever for 11 days!

My son is 5. He started with a cold and fever 11 days ago (on a Wednesday). We all had a cold this past week. We're all better, in fact my son doesn't have any cold symptoms anymore, just a lingering fever.

After the first couple of days, I thought he was better, his symptoms were nearly gone and I didn't think he felt warm. I allowed him to attend Karate, Mon, Tues, & Wed. He was acting completely normal. I did notice a couple of times he was sweaty at night, but we were all a bit clammy from having a cold. No one else in our family has had a fever though...

Wednesday after horesplaying around at home (he's homeschooled) and practicing his Karate moves before going to Karate, he was a-ok. After Karate he complained that his side hurt, on the left side. We decided to call the Dr. and he felt warm, so I checked his temp, it as 100.5 or so. About 30 minutes later when he was about to head out to the Doctor, his side was no longer hurting which was good! His temp at the Doctor was 101.5. He informed us that it was likely just a virus and to wait it out...mind you it had already been 7 days with a fever (not realizing he had one the whole time).

Come this past Friday, he was still running a fever, so I took him to our regular Ped who we love. He checked him out, checked his blood count and said it was normal, so he said wait it out for the weekend as it could be a virus. He said if he wasn't any better to come back Monday (tomorrow) and they will do more testing.

I thought he would be better by now, but it hasn't happened. He never complained about his side again, so it was likely Karate related. His fever has been steady 99.5 or so, up to 101.8. It has been very steady. He has also been soaked in sweat every single night. Not the entire night, but during the night.

He doesn't have any particular symptoms that I'm aware of other than fever and night sweats. I just don't know, I'm at a loss, I just thought he would be over it by now. As of tomorrow, it will have been 12 days with a fever...

I am going to call and get him in to see his Ped first thing in the morning. I'm paranoid now!

Advertisement

Last edited by ACSNMama; 10-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

Since the fever is low and there are no actual symptoms to treat, there is really nothing to do. Clearly his body is trying fight some sort of infection somewhere but if he's been examined and tested, they can't really treat what they can't find.

I probably should be s

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is wrong with my son? Fever for 11 days!

I'm not sure why you are assuming that he had a fever for 7 days without really knowing. The night sweats make me think that the fever is breaking at night. My guess is that it is something he is almost kicking and then relapsing OR that his immune system is just down a bit right now and he has had more than one back to back illness that is causing a fever.

FWIW all of my kids have had random viruses where fever (and the chills, lethargy, etc that go with fever) was the only symptom.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

He could have gotten another virus on top of the last one, sounds like he didn't really have time to recover from the cold. Has anyone checked his ears for infection at all?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
ACSNMama
seller

Both Doctors checked his ears and said everything looked fine.

Tonight his fever has spiked to 102.2. I do believe that he had the fever this entire time. Looking back to those days that I didn't check, he did feel warm, but again, I *thought* it was just because it was warm in our home, and because he was goofing around, being a boy. The last couple of days my husband and I think he feels cooler and take his temp but it's still 101.

I searched online for causes of fever/night sweats and found some unsettling things, so I'm just going to let that go and just chalk it up to being another virus of some sort and have the Doctor examine him again tomorrow. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Tomorrow will be 12 days and I just feel that's far too long, though I'm all for letting the body fight infection, I want to know if there is an underlying cause or if it is a virus.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did they do a strep culture? A lot of kids at our elem. school had a fever, we're tested for strep but no sore throat! Quite a few cases actually. That is a long time to have a fever. Have the checked his urine for a UTI?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi
Did they do a strep culture? A lot of kids at our elem. school had a fever, we're tested for strep but no sore throat! Quite a few cases actually. That is a long time to have a fever. Have the checked his urine for a UTI?
My son's only symptoms of strep were fever and painful abdomen. So that is a very real possibility.

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Gav

My son's only symptoms of strep were fever and painful abdomen. So that is a very real possibility.
Yeah a stomach ache (nausea/vomiting) can actually be a symptom of strep. You would think his white cells would be up though.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my kids have had Roseolla at different times. Just fevers with a runny nose. They acted fine and were usually most feverish at night.

We had strep once- none of the kids had sore throats, just fevers and runny noses.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
ACSNMama
seller

They will likely check these things tomorrow, thank you for the different perspectives and experiences, helps me chill out!