Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is wrong with my son? Fever for 11 days!

Def. do insist on a rapid strep culture, even if they say his throat doesn't look that bad. My oldest almost never shows up with the visual strep throat but he can have a full blown case with fever and the strep rash and will test positive. Yes, Strep can cause stomachache and vomiting.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Def. do insist on a rapid strep culture, even if they say his throat doesn't look that bad. My oldest almost never shows up with the visual strep throat but he can have a full blown case with fever and the strep rash and will test positive. Yes, Strep can cause stomachache and vomiting.
Not "just" the rapid though, make sure they do both. Sometimes rapid comes up neg but culture comes up pos. It's happened to us in the past... They can do both.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

His results came back normal!

His CRP (C Reactive Protein) came back a little high. Basically indicating there is an infection/inflamation in his body, it wasn't abnormally high, but just higher than that or someone who isn't ill..

He didn't end up doing the strep or Mono testing because he has no signs of it, but I will request them tomorrow. He honestly has no symptoms of anything other than a fever. Today he's still running 101.3 fever. If all comes back normal, well, I guess we'll go from there.

I'm so happy his labs/chest x-ray came back normal, but this is day 13 with a fever and I'm still feeling uneasy.

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Gav View Post
Since the fever is low and there are no actual symptoms to treat, there is really nothing to do. Clearly his body is trying fight some sort of infection somewhere but if he's been examined and tested, they can't really treat what they can't find.
I pretty much agree with this. Is your son showing any signs of discomfort (don't count the sweating, that's GOOD for fevers). Are you dosing him with anything like ibuprofen to bring the fever down? If you ARE... you might want to STOP... administering Tylenol and Ibuprofen can actually prolong the body's attempt to fight off the fever (lots of recent research on this if you use Google).

The main issue for fevers is always catatonia/lethargy (extreme mental type) and hydration. It probably wouldn't hurt to limit your son's physical activities, particularly strenuous ones, until the fever passes.

I know we normally assumed teething fevers are only for babies... but that isn't true! Is it possible that your son is getting a few "big boy" molars?

Does he have ANY other symptoms of sickness?

Sorry, mama! It's stressful having kids with inexplicable fevers!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

What side? Appendix? Uti/kidney infection? What's the update? That sounds scary!

Sending you hugs!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
ACSNMama
seller

Thanks for the responses!

I have given him motrin a couple of times, but not daily. I TOO am one to allow the body to fight off illness on it's own.

I will be honest though, I am a little miffed. A few of the responses seem as if I shouldn't be worried about a fever for what will be 14 days now and that his little body will work itself out. Like I said, I believe in the body fighting on its own, BUT the length of time my son has had a fever would be of concern IMO (well obviously I'm concerned)...

I say this because, a steady/constant fever & night sweats can be a sign of very serious things, like Lymphoma, among other serious illnesses or diseases! Thyroid problems, bowel problems, etc. My son does NOT have cancer thankfully, since they drew blood and tested him on Monday, but I'm glad something like that was ruled out. Had I not been in such a fog (stress and exhaustion, our 8 month old having terrible sleep habits) I likely would've requested a Mono test, but I completely spaced.

Coming from my childhood of being friends with other children who were diagnosed with cancer (after going to the doctor for what they thought to be "regular" illnesses), plus my sister is a brain cancer survivor and at first the signs were very small. My son also used to have Atonic seizures, and while I noticed something was wrong right away, my husband thought I was seeing things. I'd rather err on the side of caution!

Today his fever spiked again to 102.3 which is higher than what it has been. I did give him motrin, but haven't since a few days ago. When he went to bed, it was 100.5 or so. He was sweating again, hopefully by morning it's down.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Sorry you're having a hard time! This definitely doesn't sound like an easy time for your family! Hoping the doctor figures out what's wrong really quickly!!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
ACSNMama
seller

Thank you. He was fever free for half of yesterday, but went back up to 100-101 afternoon/night someone brought to my attention to ask about gluten allergy, while fever isnt a "symptom" on the list, I guess it has happened.

Mono, strep and flu are all negative. His Ped is going to talk to an infectious disease doctor for advice, which I've seen is routine once the regular Doctor cant find anything...

Hopefully today is fever free!

Last edited by ACSNMama; 10-27-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

I'd try gluten free and see how that works...gluten is tricky and affects everyone differently.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

any update mama?
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote