Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
1 year old with constant diarrhea (gross)

She's had it for at least a few months. Most of the time it's a very very loose peanut butter poo. Sometimes it's so liquid that it's pretty much brown liquid that soaks into the diaper and just leaves little solid specks on her bottom. I don't think she's had more than 4 or 5 solid (enough to hold shape) poops in the past month. She's pooping at least 3 -4 times a day, and sometimes even in the middle of the night. Up until this diarrhea, she was never a frequent pooper. Now she poops so frequently that it's irritating her bottom and she's had diaper rash for forever - I just can't keep it clean and dry.

I've cut foods out until she's down to pretty much fruits and veggies and grains. These is basically what she eats each day - 1 can of mixed fruit pureed with oatmeal. Mixed veggies pureed. Mashed sweet potatoes or white potatoes. Applesauce. Bananas. Homemade whole wheat bread. Whole wheat pasta. Scrambled eggs. She does eat little bits of whatever the rest of the family is eating, like meat, granola bars, raisins, PBJ sandwiches, rice, couscous, whatever, but never regularly enough to be causing this for months on end.

What's left to cut out or try to help firm up her stool a little bit? Do I need to break up the mixed fruits and veggies and try each one individually?

Thanks!

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

Is she still nursing? On whole milk? Soy? Formula? ... This sounds like my son, I took dairy away, and now how poo I can plop right off the diaper into the toilet, if he eats dairy it's back to scraping off the poo

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 1 year old with constant diarrhea (gross)

When we were in Mexico my sister had what seamed like unending diarrhea. It got so bad doctors were talking about putting her in the hospital. A friend suggested using horse tail tea. Not the tail of a horse but an herb. This worked wonders for my sister and it was never a problem again. I think pills are sold at health food stores. My sister was about a year old at the time also. I hope this helps. I hope she gets better soon.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Sounds like teething to me. My yds has had poop like this for the past 2 weeks (going on 3) but he's cutting his 2yr molars. It's very peaunt buttery, or sometimes like you said water like and then there are small specks of poop that stick to his bottom, like a flake.

ETA: He pooped 5 times today and it's only 6pm. lol. His butt is very red too. We just go through a lot of diaper rash cream and we let him air out for a few minutes after each change.

Last edited by Crew&West; 10-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's how my DS is too. Someone on another thread told me their pedi said it's fine not to have solid poos at a year. However, super duper runny isn't the best IMO. I took DS off milk and it seems to be helping. But like your DD he eats TONS of fruit and veggies with can lead to runnier poo. Does she drink milk or eat dairy?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried cutting out the what? Also are you nursing? Using formula? While milk?

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyGmommy View Post
Is she still nursing? On whole milk? Soy? Formula? ... This sounds like my son, I took dairy away, and now how poo I can plop right off the diaper into the toilet, if he eats dairy it's back to scraping off the poo

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Still nursing a little. I don't remember having this problem at her 9-month check up, so it has to have been a change since then. And her nursing/my diet hasn't changed. I've cut out whole milk, Greek yogurt, and cheese, which she had been eating daily up until recently. I don't think those are the causes. It's possibly the whole milk, I can't think of any other change I've made. How little is enough to cause a reaction? I've stopped giving her any but I know she's still had a few sips from DD1's milk throughout the week.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf

Still nursing a little. I don't remember having this problem at her 9-month check up, so it has to have been a change since then. And her nursing/my diet hasn't changed. I've cut out whole milk, Greek yogurt, and cheese, which she had been eating daily up until recently. I don't think those are the causes. It's possibly the whole milk, I can't think of any other change I've made. How little is enough to cause a reaction? I've stopped giving her any but I know she's still had a few sips from DD1's milk throughout the week.
If my daughter has even one sip of milk, or a bite of ice cream, she has intestinal issues. I can't even sneak a little into recipes.

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
It could be the whole milk. If she's having sips it's still in her system.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, since DD2 likes soy and almond I'll switch to those for a while and not even have the problem of having milk around. I don't remember having the issues when I introduced yogurt, and I did that a few months before milk. Is there anything else I need to cut out out if I suspect milk? What about cheese? What else is milk in that I might forget?