Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

Replacing Velcro Landing Strips on Bum Genius

I thought I saw a thread on this earlier, but can't seem to find it....

Any tips for replacing the velcro landing strip on the Bum Genius OS dipes? I have trimmed the "fur" off of the strip and replaced the tabs but a few still need velcro. Any sewing tips are super welcome!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
MrsTippett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Replacing Velcro Landing Strips on Bum Genius

I am also interested.
MrsTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is pretty easy to do with the BG 3.0 pockets. First I removed the landing strip. I opened up the diaper all the way across the front at the top seam using a seam ripper. Then you can sew the new Velcro in place and restitch the top closed. I just followed all the original stitch lines Velcro placing.

I was going to replace a few landing strips on some last chance 4.0 pockets that I got. I started to rip open the top like I do with the 3.0 and ran into a snag. The PUL is folded differently on the 4.0 and there is actually a fold under that top seam (if that makes any sense. To get into the diaper from the top you would have to cut the PUL. It shouldn't effect the diaper, but I ended up snap converting those diapers instead. I think the BG 2.0 are set-up like the 3.0, so they should be easy like the 3.0.

It looks scary when you rip open the top of the diaper, but it really isn't that hard once you start working on it and it is totally worth it. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.
WOHM Mama to my two boys DS#1 (12/30/2007) and DS#2 (10/7/2010). Married to my amazing DH since 7/23/2005.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Yes for some you have to "trim" the PUL but as long as you sew it back together with the fold it works fine. Also I suggest sewing with a zipper foot it will allow you to get closer to the edge. It seems very intimidating at first but once you finish one you realize it isn't that bad and they look all fresh and new when you are done.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The first one is intimidating. But gets easier. They made the later versions of the 3.0 that you have to cut open. But it works.

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum (yes, I'm that addicted)

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote