Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Curriculum workbooks - cutting off the binding

I just bought the Singapore Essential Math for K. It is full curriculum in a fairly large workbook. I'm thinking about having the binding cut off and putting it in a binder instead. Personally, I just find workbooks so hard to work in. I've always taken the pages out of all our other notebooks by hand, but this one doesn't have perforated pages. So, I can't.

Has anyone had the binding cut off of this or any large workbook? I'm nervous about doing it, but really prefer loose/flat pages to actually work on.

Thanks for your insight!!!

Updated post #5...please tell me it is going to work just fine. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-26-2011 at 10:11 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Curriculum workbooks

I haven't done it, but my DH used to work at a copyshop and did this all the time...I think they charged a few dollars. I had one cut up to make photocopying it easier and he put the pages into a large envelope so they wouldn't get mixed up.
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I would have it cut off and stick it in a 3 ring binder
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyS View Post
I haven't done it, but my DH used to work at a copyshop and did this all the time...I think they charged a few dollars. I had one cut up to make photocopying it easier and he put the pages into a large envelope so they wouldn't get mixed up.
I used to work at one several years ago too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post
I would have it cut off and stick it in a 3 ring binder
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

My mom used to do this with all my sisters stuff because she is visually impaired and everything had to be adapted.

I think I'll call Staples (what is here in town) and ask what they charge.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Curriculum workbooks - cutting off the binding

I had my son do the first couple of pages with it in the book. But, as I was looking ahead, I noticed that just a few pages in and I can already see that the page that has to be bent back to work on is going to be hard to work on. Plus, having to bend it back (to open the book, not like an excessive amount) results in not being able to see a small portion of the page. So, I'm going to have the binding cut.

I just called Staples and it only costs $2! Woo Hoo! That is cheap. I don't know why, but I was expecting it to be a lot more. Now, I just hope their blade is nice an sharp and I get a good clean cut. LOL!

Anyone have it done and want to tell me how great it was? I'm a little nervous. I don't want to ruin my book or end up with jagged edges.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used a metal straight edge and an exacto knife before, it works ok but is a lot of work.

What does work is if your hubby has a table saw, have him clamp the book together good and run that baby through the table saw.. works beautifully.

Or for 2 bucks (as long as it's closer than mine which is 45 minutes away for the closest one), I would take it to Staples.. because then I wouldn't have to wait on hubby to have time to fit in my book...lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
I have used a metal straight edge and an exacto knife before, it works ok but is a lot of work.

What does work is if your hubby has a table saw, have him clamp the book together good and run that baby through the table saw.. works beautifully.

Or for 2 bucks (as long as it's closer than mine which is 45 minutes away for the closest one), I would take it to Staples.. because then I wouldn't have to wait on hubby to have time to fit in my book...lol.
Good ideas! I might do that those too if I had a 45 minute drive. My Staples is only a couple minutes from my house. I don't have a ton of options, but I do have that.

It turned out really well!! I bought a 1/2 inch binder to put the book in now that it is not bound. My son was excited too. He kept saying, "Thanks for doing this just for me, Mom."
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Yep...I have the bindings cut off most of the books we're using. If it's non-consumable, I have it spiral bound so it will lay flat. If it's consumable, I pop the pages in page protectors in a 3-ring binder and have Ivy use dry erase markers.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

I put it in the freezer and the glue gets 'unsticky' and then they are easy to just rip out like they are perforated

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
I put it in the freezer and the glue gets 'unsticky' and then they are easy to just rip out like they are perforated
Really? I'm trying this!