Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Re: Need some detachment advice for my almost 2 year old

For what it's worth, I did Jay Gordon's nightweaning, too. We then followed it up by shifting Little Dude to his own bed a month or two later. I think it is easier to de-couple the two issues, rather than trying to do both at the same time.

Advertisement

Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some detachment advice for my almost 2 year old

I was in your situtation EXACTLY. DS1 could only nurse to sleep (and was still waking sometimes10 times a night!), would only have me, DH couldn't help, ect.
I offered him a sippy of water when he wanted to nurse. at first it ticked him off, and made him scream worse. & believe you me, after being up hours, I'd give in once or twice; but then they obviously learn that they just have to keep screaming and mama is going to cave! So you have to stand your ground. I would also feel guilty; and think: "He's just a baby still, he needs the comfort..." But, we got through it, and in about a 2-3 weeks he was nightweaned.
The co-sleeping~ He was sleeping in a queen bed in his own room; and since I was weaning, I slept with him to lessen the blow. (+ he was still getting up) A few weeks before baby came, every time he got up I put him back to bed. After the baby came, he was still getting up, sometimes at the same time as the baby. It was absolutely awful; but that one we just had to trudge through. IMO, there's nothing you can do to help them sleep better, some are just bad/light sleepers. (We: used nightlight/not, white noise machine/fan, ect ect.)
He's 2 1/2 now and sleeping better; but he usually wakes up once a night; and the past 3 nights he's needed one of us to sleep with him (yes, we still cave, with a newbie I have to have sleep!) So the 1st two nights I took the baby in to sleep with him, and last night DH slept with him.
Good luck mama! Transitions are hard on everyone.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: UPDATED-Need some detachment advice for my almost 2 year old

bump for happy update!