Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why does DS hate my boobs at night?!

My 1 month old hates nursing in the evenings and he is sooooooo fussy. He holds his head back, won't latch, screaming and is miserable! I hate it! He nurses fine the rest of the day. I try to relax him with nursing but he's not having it. I don't know what to do, nothing else calms him down. I know newbies are generally fussy in the evenings, I'm just praying we can get into some sort of evening/bedtime routine soon.

Ugh. Thanks for listening. Any tips for me?

Advertisement

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
NiNi
Registered Users

Could it just be that's his witching hour? My 1.5 yo was like that. From 6 pm on he was just miserable. Just his time, he outgrew it around 8 months.

sent from my Droid Bionic, please excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
EzrasMom11
Registered Users

Re: Why does DS hate my boobs at night?!

My ds was like that at first but grew out of it around 3 months. One thing that helped us was for me to go outside and nurse him while holding him in the sling. I never got the hang of nursing in a wrap. I think that the change in surroundings distracted him just enough for him to not fight eating.
EzrasMom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could it be that he wants to comfort nurse but milk keeps flowing? That can be frustrating for little babies.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Could it be that he wants to comfort nurse but milk keeps flowing? That can be frustrating for little babies.
That could be, I also have a heavy letdown. He gets SO upset!

Kate, mama to
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Could you be lower in supply at night?

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Maybe he's already over tired and fussy. My DD1 had colicy inconsolable crying from 6-9 for about 2 months, too... good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have this exact problem from about 6pm until midnight. I also have a super-heavy let-down. I have found that walking him around while nursing will sometimes work. I need to find a poch sling for this--he's getting heavy at almost 8 weeks! I hope he outgrows this phase soon. I feel your pain!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
fullofheart
Registered Users
seller

My son did this for about 6 weeks and it made me crazy. The worst part was he would take a bottle no problem (which we did with expressed milk a few times when I was so stressed and upset by his screaming that I couldn't take it anymore) but just refuse the breast for hours at a time. I attributed it to him being overtired more than anything else, but he did it relentlessly.

And then we went on a two week trip when he was 2.5 months to visit our families and he magically stopped.

I had a really overactive letdown too, so maybe PPs are right that he just wanted to comfort nurse and he was getting too much milk?

All I know is it certainly made bedtime really long and difficult for awhile and left us both really frustrated, and my DH feeling really helpless as well. Just have faith that for most of us our babes outgrew it and we now have no problems! All of that is just a distant difficult memory now!
fullofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofheart View Post
My son did this for about 6 weeks and it made me crazy. The worst part was he would take a bottle no problem (which we did with expressed milk a few times when I was so stressed and upset by his screaming that I couldn't take it anymore) but just refuse the breast for hours at a time. I attributed it to him being overtired more than anything else, but he did it relentlessly.

And then we went on a two week trip when he was 2.5 months to visit our families and he magically stopped.

I had a really overactive letdown too, so maybe PPs are right that he just wanted to comfort nurse and he was getting too much milk?

All I know is it certainly made bedtime really long and difficult for awhile and left us both really frustrated, and my DH feeling really helpless as well. Just have faith that for most of us our babes outgrew it and we now have no problems! All of that is just a distant difficult memory now!
Thank you! I know it's temporary, it's just so frustrating at the end of a long day with 3 boys. I'm missing my down time in the evenings, I really hope this passes soon.

Kate, mama to