Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Math Curric?

My 7th grader struggles at math. I havent found a math program to suit him yet. He has gaps in his learning that I need to fill so he can hopefully move forward into pre-algebra. I have him working on memorizing multiplication facts right now, because he knew none of them. literally. anyway, he needs to learn money, time review division, and some other elementary subjects to move on. I have tried ALEKS, Math U See (which was good, but not going to cover everything he needs) and have looked into Saxon and Teaching Textbooks. He gets easily frustrated with math and needs something that he can understand. Im just not sure where to go. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Re: Math Curric?

We like math mammoth, simple and easy to understand so far. We are still young here but maybe something to look into. Depending on what kind of learner he is there are several curriculums to consider. Visual learner, videos and games there is time4learning.com also khanacademy.com has videos. Life of Fred is a story based math curriculum...never seen it seems different. So hopefully those are a few things to consider. Best of luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

We like math mammoth, simple and easy to understand so far. We are still young here but maybe something to look into. Depending on what kind of learner he is there are several curriculums to consider. Visual learner, videos and games there is time4learning.com also khanacademy.com has videos. Life of Fred is a story based math curriculum...never seen it seems different. So hopefully those are a few things to consider. Best of luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Did you try this site? Take a look
http://www.ixl.com/
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Life of Fred is great if you need a totally different way to approach math but it doesn't have a ton of problems in it. However it might be great for filling in the gaps where you know he needs more help.

We love Teaching Textbooks here honestly. It is expensive though so if you've tried a bunch of other stuff already, I would suggest seeing if you could borrow it from someone first.

Another thought. Is it possible you need to pick a program that works for you and him and then just stick with it a bit longer? I know when I was struggling to get my oldest to truly click with math, I switched programs a bit too often looking for that magic fix. I finally had to say that there is no magic fix and it simply won't always be easy but sometimes we have to learn to deal with things we don't like and he had to buckle down and just do it. Adjusting the overall attitude for everyone honestly seemed to help him.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To catch up on the foundation stuff I would suggest some simple workbooks.. The Complete Book of Math books cover sooo much and do it well. Also the ixl site listed above and I think there is a site called funbrain that is math based. I'm sure there are are others. Oh and also there is Timez Attack that is awesome for learning facts.. and well it's way fun (I even like to play it...lol)

To get him working on his own level, with a math that he can understand, I can not reccomend Teaching Textbooks enough! That is an awesome program and totally worth the money!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like a pp mentioned, you might check out Time4Learning, our kids are younger but our DS likes it especially well.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

We use Teaching Textbooks here. (3 kids) We tried Saxon last yr w/2 kids & they HATED it. I think Saxon looks very thorough, but I've not really found a student who likes it. It has lots of drills. Couple of nice things about TT: up to pre-algebra, if they enter their answers online, it keeps a grade book for them. I just have to go on & see what they missed (it also records if they viewed the solution). Also, it doesn't have sooo many problems for each lesson. Sometimes, I think there should be more, but kids become weary fast with doing boat loads of problems. They also try to give real life examples of how a certain concept is used. And they have online assessments to help you determine which level to purchase. That being said, I've never heard of ixl. It looks VERY interesting. If you know where your child is weak, it looks like it would be easy to fill those gaps in b/c all the topcs are listed-you choose where to go. HTH
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use Right Start Math http://www.alabacus.com/pageView.cfm?pageID=270
I would encourage you to stop teaching him to memorize facts. That's one of the biggest mistakes we make in this country, when teaching our kids Mathematics. Just because he has memorized the answer to 9x9, doesn't mean he knows HOW or WHY the answer is 81. I would bet that the method with which you're teaching, is his struggle. I say that, because I have sucked at Math my entire life. My MATH TEACHER who tutored me, told me that I just don't get Math...my brain isn't wired for it. Since starting this program with my son, my own Math skills have improved EXPONENTIALLY. I realized that wrote memorization is what my brain isn't wired for...not number. I have a NEED to UNDERSTAND HOW and WHY...that is how my brain is wired. My son, he is exactly like me...same type of learner, and he retains information the same way I do. Read up on this program, hopefully it's what your son needs

ETA: This is a more tactile program, with very few worksheets...and LOTS of games. It's actually a fun program.

Last edited by frenchie; 10-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have little ones, but I wanted to suggest Key To books---there's Key To Fractions, Key To Measurement etc etc. They may help fill in some gaps. Fo rthe mult. you might just get some Kumon books a year or two lower than his grade and have him review. Saxon might be good if he's struggling because there's a lot of practice. Get some manipulatives like some cuisinaire rods to help with visualizing mult. and div.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote