Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Math Curric?

I definately wouldn't suggest saxon for a kid struggling. Saxon, once you pass 3rd grade is all black and white, and a very wordy dry textbook. It does cover everything and explain things well, but for a student who is struggling it is going to be overwhelming and cause more panic than help. It's also not going to get a kid who is not interested (and being that he struggles, he definately isn't into math), to have an interest or a love of math.

There are some fun books like Math for Smarty Pants and a bazillion "living math" books that can make it fun and help him see math how it relates to his every day life.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if he needs to know multiplication facts I would suggest a skip counting cd.. may be a little juvinile for him but he probably will memorize more quickly!

I would also suggest using Teaching textbooks. I have heard rave reviews on it and am planning on using it for my dd next year.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #13
anniep78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We currently use teaching textbooks and love it! I also really like Singapore for younger grades.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i keep seing recs for TT, but when my ds tried a demo it was a bunch of answers he was able to guess through, getting most of them right, and then moving on. i dont want something like that because he would def take the easy way out instead of doing the work.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can have him watch the lesson, do the work in the workbook then enter those answers into the computer.. that is how it is designed to work.

It's also possible that you aren't giving your son credit for knowing things he knows and he needs a higher level.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No. I have had him tested. He needs to learn some basics he missed. I didn't realize tt had a workbook to go with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DS Forum
Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
WoweeG
Registered Users
seller

My DS has homeschooled for several years and 'loves' Life of Fred. They are just publishing a bunch of primer level books as well. We went through a whole range of things before settling on Fred. Saxon (uggh) Kumon, Touch Math, etc. I can't say enough about how it holds his attention, makes him want to do the problems and ensures he knows it before he moves on! Good luck momma!
WoweeG is offline   Reply With Quote