Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need help with 2nd grader reading

First off let me say that my DD attends public school. I am turning to you ladies because she is struggling with reading and HATES doing it. I need some ideas of things to do with her at home to help her catch up and hopefully enjoy reading. I don't mind buying a home curriculum to use with her on reading if you think that would help. She is currently reading at a the level of a first semester first grader, so almost a year behind. The problem is her the fact that she is behind in reading is causing her problems in other areas, like spelling, and reading comprehension.

I am really hoping someone can give me some pointers or ideas to use at home to help her catch up and be more excited about reading.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help with 2nd grader reading

maybe picking some beginner reading like level 1 books from library that will be easy for her and give her confidence then also let her pick bigger books that she enjoys and you can read to her or with her. my son liked http://readingeggs.com/ their is a free trial and she can test in to see what level she will start at.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I talked my sons to read using a book called reading reflex, it takes very little time, is laid out well and very effective. Also you might try getting her something high value such as comic books for her to read. My Ods really was motivated to learn to read so he could read the comic books!
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not an expert, so this is just my personal thought.

You said that your daughter "Hates doing it." (Reading) Is there any way you and your daughter can make it fun/enjoyable somehow?

Perhaps you can either buy, or go to the library and borrow, few books she might enjoy.
You can either let her choose the book (Or let her just choose the topic), or you can let her choose the book herself. For younger students, children might need some suggestion on which book or what kind of book she/he might want.
For example, you can ask her, "Do you want to read a book about how to make a jack o lantern?" "Do you want to get a book about how to bake Christmas cookies with me?" "Do you want to get a book about ponies?" Etc etc.
Once you choose a topic, you can either go to library online, and see what your local library has on that topic. YOu can then select which ones you want to borrow and go. Or, you can just go to the library and go to the section where they might have a book she is interested in, and have her select some.

Some students might also enjoy comic book type of book.

have books more available for her. Keep her books where she can access easily. Displaying books sideways so the front cover is facing you, is more appealing then traditional way of storing books on the book shelf.

Have her keep a journal. If she likes drawing, she can start this by drawing a picture. You can then ask her, what would you like to put on your journal today? You can write it down for her to begin with. Then eventually, you can have her trace what you wrote.

And this is something I perosnally did for my children, and I think it helped with my son's reading (He was reading at above third grade level when he was in kindergarten), is turn on the caption on TV at all time. This foces chilren to "read" (Or "View," "See") the associated word as he/she hears the word. I think this is an excellent exercise, but nobody taught me this method, so I do not know if this is good or not. I thought this seemed like a good and easy idea.

I also think another thing that helps is for chilren to see their caregivers enjoying reading themselves. Not only on comptuers, but also on paper books (If paper books are the kind of books they will be reading.)

Play some reading games too. Make it rewarding and enjoyable.

Good luck and have FUN.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Readingeggs.com is popular in our house. Do you have an iPad or eReader? My dd loves to read off the iPad and we are getting her a Nook for Christmas. Sometimes it just needs to not "look" like reading to get them going.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

You could try Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading If the beginning lessons are too easy (she knows all her letter sounds) then skip to lesson 27 and it starts at the "at" blend. We use Explode the Code to supplement with this book.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Shaunam
Registered Users

Ds's reading improved when we laid off the phonics for a bit and started working on fluency. There's a book I recommend...blanking on the name now....that suggests reading a page or passage to the child twice, having them read it with you twice, then reading it alone twice. They aren't memorizing it, but just learning to recognize words. It gave my son confidence, plus we were able to get away from the horribly boring beginning readers as this method let him read things a whole grade level above where he was at. He started reading high-frequency words without stumbling over them which made the whole process smoother. He's jumped 2 1/2 grade levels in one year. Went from stumbling through early readers trying to sound out every word, to fluently reading easy chapter books. We stopped using the method after just a few weeks, but brought it out again when I was getting his confidence up for the leap to chapter books. We used it one day and that was enough.

Reading sucks when you have to stop and sound out every word. You can't remember what you read at the beginning of a sentence by the time you get to the end of one. Fluency happens automatically for a lot of kids. Others just need more help.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try getting a book on a topic of interest to her with pictures to help her and then read with her. You read a page (or paragraph or sentence) and have her read the next one. This helped a lot with my daughter early on because she would get sucked into the story and then be motivated to read. Make it fun for her, even if that means you have to help her a lot in the beginning. If she gets the joy of reading, she will eventually become self-motivated.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
Ds's reading improved when we laid off the phonics for a bit and started working on fluency. There's a book I recommend...blanking on the name now....that suggests reading a page or passage to the child twice, having them read it with you twice, then reading it alone twice. They aren't memorizing it, but just learning to recognize words. It gave my son confidence, plus we were able to get away from the horribly boring beginning readers as this method let him read things a whole grade level above where he was at. He started reading high-frequency words without stumbling over them which made the whole process smoother. He's jumped 2 1/2 grade levels in one year. Went from stumbling through early readers trying to sound out every word, to fluently reading easy chapter books. We stopped using the method after just a few weeks, but brought it out again when I was getting his confidence up for the leap to chapter books. We used it one day and that was enough.

Reading sucks when you have to stop and sound out every word. You can't remember what you read at the beginning of a sentence by the time you get to the end of one. Fluency happens automatically for a lot of kids. Others just need more help.
I would love to know the name of this book if you can find it.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone, we have tried books on topics she loves, tried reading on a tablet (like ipad) none of that excites her.

I did just have a conference with her teacher and we are changing the way she reads at home to work on fluency. She didn't really like it but it was much more successful than what we had been doing. I don't know that she will ever love reading, but she has to learn to do it

I appreciate your suggestions and will be trying several of them out with her!

Thanks