Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Resume SAHM enntry?

Hope this is the right place for this question... Please suggest alternative posting if need be...

I am applying for work in the retail industry. I just want to work part-time. I have been a SAHM for 3 years now (exactly, this month!) and wonder if I should put something like the quote below in the resume?

Or do you think I should just mention my volunteer work in a separate volunteer section and leave the Mom-bit out. So far on the Internet, I've read as many people advising not to have blanks and add it than those saying not to add it because it will annoy the hiring person.

Any ideas please!

Quote:
Work with Non-profits and Full Time Mother 2008 - Current

-Serving on logistics committee organizing Charitable cycling event to benefit XXXXX.org.
-Raised $2,300 and walked the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure 2010.
-Awareness training on breast cancer with XXXXX team.
- Volunteer teacher with XXXX library on their English Langauge Learning (ELL) program.
- Adept at utilizing time to the maximum to get as much done as possible in a short time.
- General administration and scheduling time for doctor appointments, service providers, classes and play time for children.
- General maintenance in and around the house.
- Acute awareness of health and safety in all situations and places.

Advertisement

vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Resume SAHM enntry?

I wouldn't put the stuff about scheduling for the kids (or actually anything that you did as a SAHM that didn't correlate to the workforce).

Non-profits Volunteer and Full Time Mother (if the person interviewing you is also a mother I'd change the wording) 2008 - Current

- Currently serving on logistics committee organizing Charitable cycling event to benefit XXXXX.org.
-Raised $2,300 and walked the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure 2010.
- Verb Awareness training on breast cancer with XXXXX team.
- Served as volunteer teacher with XXXX library on their English Langauge Learning (ELL) program.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by wlillie; 10-26-2011 at 09:14 AM.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it doesn't feel right to me either. When I wrote it, it felt so fake and stupid. However, I have read many people who suggested doing that. I have put it in and taken it out a 100 times already... well, so it feels.

I'm just going to leave the gap in there and they can ask me about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW, I just noticed your editing....
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What types of places are you applying for in retail? Like large chains (Walgreens, etc) or small mom-pop places (corner grocery store)? You live in the US, right (I think I remember you growing up outside of the US)?

I ask this because most US places have online applications so you won't need a "paper resume" (if that makes sense). When you put your work experience in they really care about if you've worked retail before, and I don't think they care as much about gaps in employment like more corporate and office type jobs - does that make sense?
lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, that does make sense. Yes, I did grow up outside of the US.

I did not bother with a resume until Monday when I noticed that 3 places needed me to have a resume with the paper application. Some chains seem to still do paper applications. I truly appreciate this because I can now highlight my retail experience from 20 years ago before my teaching career took off.

Thanks for the information
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in the human services sector, so professional, but generally family-friendly. When I've been on hiring committees & reviewing resumes, I would toss a resume that included the block about the SAHM tasks. Not to discount the experiential aspect of it, but b/c of the accountability aspect of stuff in the work history/experience section...that is, to at least be able to verify that the individual was employed (or was a volunteer) for the dates given. With the current market, I would consider someone even if there was an employment gap. If I made note that there was a gap, I would probably look to see if it was addressed in the cover letter. If I were you, I would indicate in my letter that after being a SAHM for however long you are seeking employment blah, blah, blah, KWIM?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, that is very helpful. I'm so glad I took it out (again). It really didn't feel right.

LOVE YOUR SIGGY! As a former English teacher I'm amazed at how my grammar awareness has gone backwards. Not correcting grammar on a regular basis does make you numb to it!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
BTW, I just noticed your editing....
I"m sorry. I didn't mean to offend; I thought you wanted more suggestions.

It looks fine the way you did it of course.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was NOT offended... really. very grateful... you opened my eyes to many small improvements I could make. LOL... I was serious when I said that not professionally writing for a while does make you numb.