Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
desertgirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Resume SAHM enntry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
I wouldn't put the stuff about scheduling for the kids (or actually anything that you did as a SAHM that didn't correlate to the workforce).

Non-profits Volunteer and Full Time Mother (if the person interviewing you is also a mother I'd change the wording) 2008 - Current

- Currently serving on logistics committee organizing Charitable cycling event to benefit XXXXX.org.
-Raised $2,300 and walked the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure 2010.
- Verb Awareness training on breast cancer with XXXXX team.
- Served as volunteer teacher with XXXX library on their English Langauge Learning (ELL) program.

Good luck!!!!
Yes, I agree with these edits, though I would definitely take out the Full Time Mother phrase. Most of us working moms wouldn't consider ourselves part-time moms, and besides, it's not a qualification. I noticed you said something about awareness of health and safety...if you are certified in CPR or First Aid, add those certs to your qualifications.

Good luck with the search!!!!

Advertisement

desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Yes, I agree with these edits, though I would definitely take out the Full Time Mother phrase. Most of us working moms wouldn't consider ourselves part-time moms, and besides, it's not a qualification. I noticed you said something about awareness of health and safety...if you are certified in CPR or First Aid, add those certs to your qualifications.

Good luck with the search!!!!
To the bolded: That is the VERY reason I felt so uncomfortable with it. Many people suggested doing that or saying MOM CEO or something. I just kept thinking that despite having more time to do the "job" in "detail" (because we have more time to do stuff that working mothers might not have) and teaching our children ourselves (opposed to formal schooling), that none of the things I'm doing as a mother is that different to what working mothers are doing.

That is why it felt fake. It did not feel that I was describing a skill - which it is, but it is not exclusive to wahm. I know I'm opening the flood gates here... sigh.

Last edited by vatblack; 10-26-2011 at 01:23 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
desertgirl
Registered Users
seller

I think your best bet is going to be to leave out the gap in your work force due to sahming. I'm going to sound like a huge jerk, which I may be, but at best, a manager is going to see something like MOM CEO on a resume and roll his/her eyes. It's not "fake," it's just, no matter how you phrase it, sahming is not considered a marketable skill. At worst, it'll be a joke to him/her, especially if the manager is a man, and your resume will make it to the trash can. I mean really....most people manage to run their own households. You've listed some great strengths. Stick with those.
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
mmmommy
Banned

I would mention the volunteer work. I would not mention being a "full time mom." Being a mom isn't a marketable skill. If they ask about gaps in your resume (I'm sure they will) just tell them you volunteered and chose to stay at home with your little one.
mmmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a gap in my employment from being on bedrest for 9 months and then not going back to work until DS was a year old and I recovered. I just left the gap and then mentioned it during my interview when I was asked about previous jobs. I also was applying to work retail, Walgreens and they were totally fine with it. I was also offered a job at Target but Walgreens paid quite a bit more!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote