Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gradual weaning... how long between feedings?

So DS has been nursing anywhere from 5 times a day to just 1... He hasn't nursed since last night and I am wondering how long between nursing sessions before my milk starts to disappear? He is 20 months old and I don't want to force it on him, but I don't want the milk to go away until he is sure he's done LOL Can we go a couple days w/o a problem if that is what he decides?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I haven't had any supply issues at all from the start.

TYIA!

Amber

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gradual weaning... how long between feedings?

At 18months, DD started weaning herself. By 20 months she was BFing maybe once a week and I still had some milk...not a lot obviously...but enough for a feeding to get her to sleep when she was overtired. At that age, your milk supply is well established and occasional BFings don't hurt it to much. My milk didn't disappear until I was a couple months pregnant and she was 22 months old. So you definitely have some leeway there. How often your LO wants to BF will be a good guide to how often you should BF at this age.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LizziesLoops* View Post
At 18months, DD started weaning herself. By 20 months she was BFing maybe once a week and I still had some milk...not a lot obviously...but enough for a feeding to get her to sleep when she was overtired. At that age, your milk supply is well established and occasional BFings don't hurt it to much. My milk didn't disappear until I was a couple months pregnant and she was 22 months old. So you definitely have some leeway there. How often your LO wants to BF will be a good guide to how often you should BF at this age.
Thanks so much! This is my first time BF'ing, so even though I am a pro by 20 months, I am still new to weaning. It kind of breaks my heart that he is growing up!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My daughter would go days between nursings, even a week or two weeks. I was pregnant and didn't really worry about having milk. After baby was born, she returned to 2x per day for a while, before cutting back again to days and weeks in between nursings. But that time I had my little one nursing to keep my supply up, so it wasn't an issue.

When my little one went through what I call a "disinterested phase" around 14 months, I kept pumping to keep my supply up so that when she wanted milk it would be there for her. I was not ready to wean her before 2 years old, so that's why I kept pumping. If you are open to weaning at this time, I would probably not worry about it and let nature take its course.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought about pumping... but I don't get anything when I pump anymore.